Lets talk water cooled turbo plumbing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lets talk water cooled turbo plumbing

Previously ive always ran oil cooled journal bearing turbos but finially making the jump to a ceramic ball bearing water cooled garrett. So the question is what is the ideal location to feed and return the coolant. From the research ive done people are saying to fees with the old throttle body lines and return it to the block at the drain bolt.

I feel like that a line from the block drain on the passenger side would actaully be feeding the turbo and running thw drain side to the thermostat housing might be the best option? Any one else have thoughts on this?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

IX being restored here

Ix turbo build here

I would be looking to oem water cooled turbo engines and seeing how they do it. And then trying to copy as close as possible.

Comment

Just use the throttle body heater lines, they always have flow and are actually the correct size. One runs to the thermostat housing, the other to the back of the block where #6 cyl meets the head.
      john@m20guru.com
      Links:
      Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

^ that was my first thouht, then i started doing a research and probably over complicated it lol. I think you right though, and that would be the best option. the line out of the block would be cold feed and the line to the thermostat wouls act as the return.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
        Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

IX being restored here

Ix turbo build here

Comment

You can run the water cooled turbos and just don't hook up the coolant lines and they work fine being oil-only.
          john@m20guru.com
          Links:
          Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
            I would be looking to oem water cooled turbo engines and seeing how they do it. And then trying to copy as close as possible.

Something like an N54 is no help. Dedicated holes in the block and returns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
              You can run the water cooled turbos and just don't hook up the coolant lines and they work fine being oil-only.
              This depends on the turbo. If you have an aluminum center housing, you must run water cooling. With the cast iron ones, it's usually fine not to water cool, but it's always better to do so. You'll generally have a longer lasting bearing system if you do (less oil coking).

Regarding OP, I am planning to run the stock heater hose routing for my setup. Feed from back of block and then return to the thermostat. I haven't started running it, but that's what my research led me to. The key thing to remember is to put the return hose on the upper side (like you have in your illustration) so that you get natural thermal siphoning of the coolant when you shut down the engine.

Comment

Working...
              X