E30 M50 swap thermostat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 M50 swap thermostat

Hello guys,im George from Greece,one month ago i did my first 6 cyl swap.. all went just fine but i have a problem with thermostat and electric fan.Donor car was an 1991 E34 520 and the engine had a 80 Celsius thermostat. Because no space at engine bay,i just removed the clutch fan and installed a HUGE pusher that i found at scrap yard (i found a puller,so i made my custom fan brackets and just flip it so from puller it became pusher) and installed it in front of radiator (radiator is from E36 318is)..... Even with high temperature these days (almost 40celsious ambient temperature) engine needs almost 20 minutes cruising to come at operating temperature...If i stuck at traffic i use the huge fan to keep the temperature at optimal level (i had a an on/off button to control the fan)... 2 days ago i installed a thermostat switch which opens at 80 and closes at 88 (it was from an E36 318ti) but it still overheating before fan starts to spin,so i use an old t-switch from a VW transporter T3 that opens at 69 and closes at 76....now the fan kicks in before operating temperature and it never turn of although the temperature its optimal... Should i change the T-stat with an 88 or 92 celsious?? Sorry if its covered at another thread,i searched but found nothing.. Thanks in advance
    Instagram

in hot climates you have to use mechanical fan

Comment

I know mate,but as you know there isnt much space because of E36 thick radiator...do you think that i should use an M20 radiator for better clearance and then use a mechanical fan?
      Instagram

Comment

you can run a pusher fan instead of a puller
        1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Working...
        X