No announcement yet.

E28 M5 Motor Mount WTFs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not so sure the hockey puck style will be much better. My buddy has been through 3-4 sets of them on his s52 e34 in a few thousand miles of driving. The upper steel plate rips right off of the rubber center section. He used several different brands, and I believe at least one set came from the dealer.
    85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
    e30 restoration and V8 swap
    24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

The nice thing about the e28 ones is that when they fail of course they're sloppy and you'll know it but the shape of everything keeps them where they should be, like the failed part is still wedged inside the rest of it. I think that will lead to less fore-aft play and chance to damage radiator and stuff than a regular hockey puck style where the top just shears off when it fails.

Comment

I'm running the IE yellow poly e28 mounts. I've read some bad things about them melting and tearing out prematurely how many people are running them?

'89 Alpine S52 with goodies

Comment

The black round ones from e34 lasted me a few autocross events and the top metal plate is off/sliding on the mount now.
          Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Interesting I wonder how the poly will stand up to being thrown around like that. I fully intend to drive the shit of this car next year so I guess I'll find out.

'89 Alpine S52 with goodies

Comment

Originally posted by Adrian_Visser View Post
              I'm running the IE yellow poly e28 mounts. I've read some bad things about them melting and tearing out prematurely how many people are running them?
              Melted those mounts as well. Didn't break but you can see in the picture they deformed as well. I broke down and bought the AKG swap mounts for my M3 swap car.

Originally posted by Mossman View Post
              The nice thing about the e28 ones is that when they fail of course they're sloppy and you'll know it but the shape of everything keeps them where they should be, like the failed part is still wedged inside the rest of it. I think that will lead to less fore-aft play and chance to damage radiator and stuff than a regular hockey puck style where the top just shears off when it fails.
              That is a good point about the center part of the green mounts staying in place when they do break. Just swapped my room mates car last night and his green mounts were also broke.

Comment

Mine were broken on the green mounts when I swapped mine as well. Seems to hold in place well though.

Comment

I too broke a set of green mounts ^^
                  Originally posted by surebimmer View Post
                  Melted those mounts as well. Didn't break but you can see in the picture they deformed as well. I broke down and bought the AKG swap mounts for my M3 swap car.

That is a good point about the center part of the green mounts staying in place when they do break. Just swapped my room mates car last night and his green mounts were also broke.
                  AND i also melted a set of these. The tranny ones are fine though.
                  Replaced the IE poly mounts with my own version of Aluminum ones. Actually, a few members here have bought those drawings from me.
                  No more e30s for me.
                  88 black BMW OBDII 332is dedicated track [sold]
                  88 BMW OBDII bronzit 332is [RIP 03/08]
                  91 BMW 325i [sold]
                  86 Corolla 'Ae86' HB 20v trd [sold]
                  http://youtube.com/watch?v=pTj7Hn9v5Rs

Comment

Bump this :)

Will these work for an s50 swap?

11-81-1-132-793-M737

Comment

yes, that's the AKA "Green Mounts"
                      No more e30s for me.
                      88 black BMW OBDII 332is dedicated track [sold]
                      88 BMW OBDII bronzit 332is [RIP 03/08]
                      91 BMW 325i [sold]
                      86 Corolla 'Ae86' HB 20v trd [sold]
                      http://youtube.com/watch?v=pTj7Hn9v5Rs

Comment

Cool, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.SWISS View Post
                          Use two trapezoidish shaped ones and NO round one's. Find a die the same pitch and diam as the bolt, screw it on, cut bolt on mount to a suitable length, then unscrew the tap off and you will have perfect threads and not have to ue a pry to get the bolts in the arms and sub. ( well, not as much as you would if you didn't) ;)
                          The ones I used were a blueish gray and AFAIK are still holding up. I pan on doing it the same way this time.
                          Originally posted by 325Projectz
                          don't listen to the diagram... listen to mr. swiss.
                          :nice:

Comment

biggest question is which ones to use and what arms are needed to put in best position.

Comment

Possibly the best thread I've found on engine mount help, I miss the old R3v days like this thread. I know its a old bump but had to do it. I mistakenly bought the round hockey puck M5 mounts and want to triple check I have all the right parts in my hands before starting my swap. Looks like I need to buy green mounts now. I would consider the polly but since I'm not reinforcing my subframe I think, actually I know the polly is a bad idea.

1992 M tech 2 Convertible - S50 Swap
                              1992 e34 Touring- S50 Swap
                              1992 325i-S50 Swap (SOLD)

1995 e36 M3 Mugello Red - S50 (SOLD)
                              1991 325i Convertible Laguna Green (SOLD)
                              1987 325i (SOLD);1992 M tech 2 Convertible (SOLD)
                              1988 325i Convertible Alpine White (SOLD)
                              Brilliantrot Convertible 80k Miles (SOLD)
                              1992 325i Convertible Schwarz (SOLD)
                              1992 318i Convertible Project-Finished (SOLD)

Comment

I use the round cylinder/hockey puck e28 m5 mounts on my 24v car and they seem to be working fine. I originally had the condor solid mounts but they were a little much on a daily driver. The top studs on the e28 mounts are kinda long, so I cut them down a bit to make getting a socket on the nut easier. A friend uses the same e28 m5 cylinder mounts on his LS3 Volvo and they seem to be up to the task so far as well.

Otherwise the AKG mounts are quite nice for a poly mount. They take a little while to break in, but plenty tolerable on a street car and they have a good fit and finish.

Comment

Working...
                                X