No announcement yet.

S52 w/ AC cooling problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pressurized as in combustion gasses from the cylinders are leaking into the cooling system and "over-pressurizing" it to the point that hoses pop off (or are extremely hard when running). Basically if the head gasket has a slight leak onto the cooling system, every time that piston comes up, it leaks pressure into the system. A cooling system runs at about 16psi-21psi, a running engine combustion chamber will see in the neighborhood of 200psi at idle/cranking.
    john@m20guru.com
    Links:
    Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
      Pressurized as in combustion gasses from the cylinders are leaking into the cooling system and "over-pressurizing" it to the point that hoses pop off (or are extremely hard when running). Basically if the head gasket has a slight leak onto the cooling system, every time that piston comes up, it leaks pressure into the system. A cooling system runs at about 16psi-21psi, a running engine combustion chamber will see in the neighborhood of 200psi at idle/cranking.
      I see. Well, I hope it's not that. When I re-attached the hose I noticed the clamp was pretty loose so I'm hoping I just neglected to tighten it.

Comment

Any luck?

Comment

Originally posted by ATL_E30 View Post
          Any luck?
          Put about 20 miles on it after tightening the hose, refilling and bleeding. Temp gauge hangs out just under 1/2 and hasn't touched 3/4 in stop and go. It hasn't been quite as hot this past week so it still needs more testing but I think it's good to go

Comment

Originally posted by Strelok View Post
            Put about 20 miles on it after tightening the hose, refilling and bleeding. Temp gauge hangs out just under 1/2 and hasn't touched 3/4 in stop and go. It hasn't been quite as hot this past week so it still needs more testing but I think it's good to go
            Nice, would love to see/ride in it sometime. I'm debating on swapping my car or stroking the M20 so would be cool to see one first hand.

Comment

FYI, I've only got the stock AC condenser fan in my M50 powered E34 (no mechanical fan) with a mishimoto E36 radiator and a Stewart high performance water pump. With the AC on full blast in 90ยบ weather, the temp never creeps up past half. I did also get a fan switch from an M42 powered car (lower temp).

Comment

So, interesting new development. The car has been running great, no overheating, but I realized the other day that my aux fan went out. On closer inspection, the zipties that were holding the low speed resistor in place have melted off, and the high speed fuse was blown. I'm guessing this resistor has gone out. Any thoughts on whether this is just a wear item or do I maybe need a different on to deal with the SPAL fan over stock?

Comment

Stock is better. The resistors do fail on these cars... I'd say this is a "wear" item.
                  IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

Working...
                  X