Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Somebody point my dumbass in the right direction

Here's the deal:

-Just picked up a CM5908 slider to install on my '87.

-Has premium sound, which means dash mounted fader, premium speakers. The car originally came with a CM5907. Though that has been missing long before my ownership.

-The wiring is a complete mess. The wires have been snipped back by the amp (still stock still intact), and the PO ran home speaker wire throughout the car, bypassing the crossovers of the premium speakers, phasing out the foot panel speakers and door tweeters, etc.

-------

I want to find an original stereo wiring harness to reinstall and get everything working as should.

Here are my questions. I'm sure they have been answered on previous threads, but ewwww search function ewwww......(as I said I am a dumbass)

1. Should I find a wiring harness that works in conjunction with the dash mounted fader, or since the slider has built in fader, should I get a later model Premium harness? I want the proper signal going to all 8 speakers.

2. Any good installation videos/threads/stickies, step by step with photos?

3. Besides the crummy speaker wire and cutting out the power amp, antenna works fine, is connected, goes up and down when radio is on/off, etc. Is it possible to just get the wires for speaker to amp to headunit without disrupting the antenna?

4. Anybody have a wiring harness they can sell me?
    '87 325i "Chewey" (RIP, my beloved)
    current:
    '01 e46 325iT "Dot" - #datwagonlife
    '87 e30 325i "Tui" - she has her mother's eyes

Are you dead set on using all factory parts? Dead set on the CM5908 that can fail any day? Dead set on using the "premium" speakers that are lackluster at best?
    Originally posted by Matt-B
    hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post
      Are you dead set on using all factory parts? Dead set on the CM5908 that can fail any day? Dead set on using the "premium" speakers that are lackluster at best?
      I wouldn’t say I’m dead set. But I did just buy a fully refurbished 5908, so I don’t see it failing anytime soon. The speakers are so far so good, and I happen to like the sound of them. My last car had an all stock premium sound system and it fit great with the car. The speakers never blew either. If a speaker blows in the future, I’ll deal with it. Meantime I’m just looking to wire them all up properly.
      '87 325i "Chewey" (RIP, my beloved)
      current:
      '01 e46 325iT "Dot" - #datwagonlife
      '87 e30 325i "Tui" - she has her mother's eyes

Comment

You won't blow the speakers with a stock amp. You could go totally retro and install everything.

The fader button isn't the way to go, that was a logarithmic fader that was used on the early head units IIRC.
        Originally posted by Matt-B
        hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Working...
        X