Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Correct Stereo for '92 318i Convertible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Correct Stereo for '92 318i Convertible?

Greetings all...I'm a newbie here, but have owned a wonderful '92 318ic for nearly 20 years. The only thing I need to make my car 100% stock, is an original stereo, but I am not 100% sure which one is correct. Although I got the car with an aftermarket stereo, I still have the original code cards and owner's manual, which presumably depicts the unit that was originally installed (see photo...model# CM5908). I realize that manuals don't always depict reality, but my research leads me to believe that it was a CM5908. So...before I start searching for this particular model, I was hoping that some of you experts can weigh in and advise whether my assumption is correct, and if so, where you'd recommend looking for the stereo in good, operable condition. Thanks in advance, and glad to be part of this great community!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by flyer92; 07-26-2018, 05:59 PM. Reason: Typo

Oh, and since i know you'll ask...here's a pic of my baby!
    Attached Files

Comment

Sweet ride! I can't speak for the 318i, but my 1992 325i convertible (also white) has the exact same radio shown.
      Jon (OO=[][]=OO)
      1992 325ic white, stock with a 5-speed swap
      Palm Beach County

Comment

Thx, jgilber. Your 325 looks fantastic as well...perhaps our cars are related?! Different topic, but just curious if you've ever had to replace your soft top. Mine is starting to wear a bit and I'm preparing for the inevitable.

Comment

:) I'm sure our cars are related!

As for where to find a nice radio, ebay is OK, and you can also check listings here on this site - lots of guys are always selling stuff from part outs, etc.
          ebay: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...radio&_sacat=0

Recent listing on R3V: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...ghlight=cm5908

There are radio shops that specialize in restorations if you can't find one in nice enough condition.

I am also getting ready to replace my top. Lots has been written on this site about options. I put a Robbins brand top on my Miata a few years ago and it was beautifully made. I'm thinking about buying the same brand again.
          More from the Robbins site here:http://www.robbinsautotopco.com/bmw.php
          I bought my Miata top from TopsOnline.com and they were great, good price too. https://www.topsonline.com/model/Con...E30_Body).html

Jon
          Jon (OO=[][]=OO)
          Palm Beach County

Comment

Thanks...I've been roving around eBay and this site, but didn't want to commit until I got another opinion. CM5908 is probably the right model, so I hope to settle on something soon. Also appreciate the soft top info. FYI, Bavarian Auto highly recommended this site for tops as well:

GAHH is a high quality leading manufacturer of replacement convertible tops and auto interiors. GAHH specializes in replacement convertible tops, seat covers, headliners, convertible top boot covers, headrest covers, seat kits, custom seat kits, and factory convertible tops and auto interiors.

Just something else to consider...best of luck, and keep that 325 lookin' sharp!

Comment

Originally posted by flyer92 View Post
              Thanks...I've been roving around eBay and this site, but didn't want to commit until I got another opinion. CM5908 is probably the right model, so I hope to settle on something soon. Also appreciate the soft top info. FYI, Bavarian Auto highly recommended this site for tops as well:

GAHH is a high quality leading manufacturer of replacement convertible tops and auto interiors. GAHH specializes in replacement convertible tops, seat covers, headliners, convertible top boot covers, headrest covers, seat kits, custom seat kits, and factory convertible tops and auto interiors.

Just something else to consider...best of luck, and keep that 325 lookin' sharp!
              You too! Thanks!
              Jon (OO=[][]=OO)
              Palm Beach County

Comment

Working...
              X