E28 M5 Motor Mount WTFs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DEV0 E30 View Post

These pictures are great, what about the left side?
    :mrgreen:

Like game music? >clicky<

Comment

that picture is AWESOME! i set my motor mounts up today and it went very good. the tabs click right into the inner slots. on the drivers side its exactly the same but i have to add a 1/4 of feder washers for spacers to get the manifold away from the plenum.

NEED SOME VINYL STICKERS???

Comment

Alright, I flipped them around and got them to sit in there, but they still look tweaked. I'm wondering if my subframe reinforcement kit from Turner that sits on top of the subframe is throwing it off (they're roughly .080" thick).

Also, to throw another wrench into this mess, the tranny mount combo I'd been told would work is way off, this might partially be due to the motor mounts, but the left side is still way off:

-Brandon
        '86 325es S50
        '12 VW GTI Autobahn DSG
        '03 540i M-Sport (sold)
        '08 Jeep SRT-8 (sold)

For sale:
        S50 TMS chip for Schricks

Comment

Originally posted by Beej '86 325es View Post
          I'm wondering if my subframe reinforcement kit from Turner that sits on top of the subframe is throwing it off (they're roughly .080" thick).
          Why did you put the Turner plates on top of the subframe? I just bought that reinforcement kit to weld onto my subframe and I could have sworn the instructions said to weld them to the inside of the motor mount tab.

-Erik

Comment

Originally posted by erik325i View Post
            Why did you put the Turner plates on top of the subframe? I just bought that reinforcement kit to weld onto my subframe and I could have sworn the instructions said to weld them to the inside of the motor mount tab.

-Erik
            It welds on top and bottom of the frame. Bummer now is I'll have to cut into the reinforcements to get access to the bottom motor mount nut, now that it's flipped.
            -Brandon
            '86 325es S50
            '12 VW GTI Autobahn DSG
            '03 540i M-Sport (sold)
            '08 Jeep SRT-8 (sold)

For sale:

Comment

For our application, putting the "inside" plate on the top works like a shim.

If you hog out the access hole you still are left with a rib of perimeter metal, and that's all you need to get some strength.

It's not how you handle the good times, but the faith you keep in the bad that defines you.

Comment

looks like the hex mount needs to be turned alittle. the tab should fit in the inner hole. also my tranny looks the same with that same combo of mounts.

Comment

Originally posted by BDSax View Post
                  that picture is AWESOME! i set my motor mounts up today and it went very good. the tabs click right into the inner slots. on the drivers side its exactly the same but i have to add a 1/4 of feder washers for spacers to get the manifold away from the plenum.
                  You mean away from the booster? Is everyone else having to pack washers on the left side?

BTW, if that blue is your paint on the outside, I need to see it...looking clean under there too
                  :mrgreen:

Like game music? >clicky<

Comment

^ you will see it when its painted. need the m50 installed and finished first!

i probably wouldnt have to use spacers if i grinded down the fins on the plenum all the way even on the bottom going under it.

Comment

Being plastic, the plenum fins are easily ground and provide plenty of clearance. I only had to shim the motor mount when I installed headers and I still had no issues with the brake booster hitting the plenum.
                      Attached Files

Comment

well im using the IX booster. its bigger than the one you are using.

Comment

Originally posted by dougsic View Post
                          I only had to shim the motor mount when I installed headers and I still had no issues with the brake booster hitting the plenum.
                          Bend the header, then you don't even need the shim on the EXH side.

I had to do that to my inner downtube (front pipe IIRC), no negatives from the bending.

Shimless is possible, you just need to make it a goal.

It's not how you handle the good times, but the faith you keep in the bad that defines you.

Comment

^ why did you shave your brake booster like that?
                            91 m3

Comment

The round exhaust side motor mount is too tall, it looks like.

Comment

Originally posted by matt View Post
                                The round exhaust side motor mount is too tall, it looks like.
                                I think I'm going to just buy the 535i mounts and see where I sit. I think with those subframe reinforcements, I might sit just right. Right now my tranny is forced up into the transmission tunnel.
                                -Brandon
                                '86 325es S50
                                '12 VW GTI Autobahn DSG
                                '03 540i M-Sport (sold)
                                '08 Jeep SRT-8 (sold)

For sale:

Comment

Working...
                                X