E28 M5 Motor Mount WTFs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Beej '86 325es View Post
    The yellow one needs to go. That one needs to be about half that height. That's (+ the big ass motor mount on that side) why your trans is hitting the tunnel.

Comment

Originally posted by matt View Post
      The yellow one needs to go. That one needs to be about half that height. That's (+ the big ass motor mount on that side) why your trans is hitting the tunnel.
      Which mount did you use there? Would the offset E30 auto mount work better there, or should I just go to an E21 mount?
      -Brandon
      '86 325es S50
      '12 VW GTI Autobahn DSG
      '03 540i M-Sport (sold)
      '08 Jeep SRT-8 (sold)

For sale:
      S50 TMS chip for Schricks

Comment

E21 mount will be about the same. You need a shorter mount. I used the right transmission for the swap.

Comment

Can we use any of the urethane mounts for the swap? I bought Ireland mounts when I bought the car before I decided to do the swap...

Comment

It looks like the Orca kit uses 1/4" shims under both green mounts. They also say to shave a corner off the mount to ease clearance and elongate the hole in the crossmember to take out the 'strain' on the mount.

Comment

I ordered the E28 535i green mounts. I'll give those a try Friday or Saturday and see how that falls out before I mess more with the tranny mounts.
              -Brandon
              '86 325es S50
              '12 VW GTI Autobahn DSG
              '03 540i M-Sport (sold)
              '08 Jeep SRT-8 (sold)

For sale:

Comment

i had the same angle problem with the tranny, and im using the e28 green mounts. i ordered Dougs modded mount and e21 mounts. ill see how that work. seems like the way to go.
                NEED SOME VINYL STICKERS???

Comment

Anyone know how tall the E21 mounts are?

My E30 urethane mounts measure 33 mm tall.

Just curious.
                  -Brandon
                  '86 325es S50
                  '12 VW GTI Autobahn DSG
                  '03 540i M-Sport (sold)
                  '08 Jeep SRT-8 (sold)

For sale:

Comment

Listen to Fred on the orientation of the mount. Use two trapezoidish shaped ones and NO round one's. Find a die the same pitch and diam as the bolt, screw it on, cut bolt on mount to a suitable length, then unscrew the tap off and you will have perfect threads and not have to ue a pry to get the bolts in the arms and sub. ( well, not as much as you would if you didn't) ;)
                    Originally posted by 325Projectz
                    don't listen to the diagram... listen to mr. swiss.
                    :nice:

Comment

I just mounted the 535i green mounts. Yeah, they measure the same as the M5 mounts (hockey puck or trapezoidal), so the engine sits the same. The engine mounts I think I can get to sit right by opening up the slot in the subframe a bit more. The tranny still sits totally off though.

BDSax, please keep me posted if the different tranny mount fixes your issue.

EDIT: Nevermind, just saw your post on the thread for Doug's tranny brace. I sent him a PM to get a brace myself. Glad you posted all of the info and pictures.
                      Last edited by Beej '86 325es; 08-30-2007, 07:36 PM. Reason: Retardedness
                      -Brandon
                      '86 325es S50
                      '12 VW GTI Autobahn DSG
                      '03 540i M-Sport (sold)
                      '08 Jeep SRT-8 (sold)

For sale:

Comment

:)

Comment

Once you guys flip your mounts, are you grinding at the subframe to access the lower stud with a socket?

This is the problem I'm running into with my subframe reinforcements, and even if I grind them out, I'd have to grind at the subframe. The best I can figure out is to grind out the reinforcements a bit and use an offset 12 pt wrench.

Driver's side (with some grinding done)

Passenger side (no grinding)
                          -Brandon
                          '86 325es S50
                          '12 VW GTI Autobahn DSG
                          '03 540i M-Sport (sold)
                          '08 Jeep SRT-8 (sold)

For sale:

Comment

i didnt have to grind anything. only one that was a pain in the ass was the passenger side upper nut because the wrench or socket would hit the exhaust. i had to cut a wrench to make it work

Comment

Originally posted by Beej '86 325es View Post
                              Once you guys flip your mounts, are you grinding at the subframe to access the lower stud with a socket?

This is the problem I'm running into with my subframe reinforcements, and even if I grind them out, I'd have to grind at the subframe. The best I can figure out is to grind out the reinforcements a bit and use an offset 12 pt wrench.

Driver's side (with some grinding done)

Passenger side (no grinding)

You might want to consider taking a little material from the corner of the mount, it looks like its contacting the frame.

I've got the same issue with interference between the motor mount and the frame rail. Its a possible vibration path.

I did the same thing with my reinforcements, I put mine on-top rather than underneath the mounting ear.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Probably not a bad idea, it's rubbing on both sides actually.
                                -Brandon
                                '86 325es S50
                                '12 VW GTI Autobahn DSG
                                '03 540i M-Sport (sold)
                                '08 Jeep SRT-8 (sold)

For sale:

Comment

Working...
                                X