No Dumping: The 1-owner 318is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This was local?! Jesus.

Great read, and congrats on the car Chris.
    Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

Awesome story, and the car looks to be in immaculate condition! Congratulations on the find.

The only thing that would make this story sweeter is if that 86 year old man's name was Blunt. :mrgreen:

Originally posted by whysimon
      WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

What an awesome story! Hell of a deal too, take good care of her :up:
        IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

I'm having a hard time containing my jealousy.

I've been looking for a similar car for several years up here but as you can well imagine, New England weather and salt does bad things to cars. I finally settled on a 98% rust free example that I found up in Maine, but mechanically the car is shot. The car cost me $2k and it will cost me upwards of $6k (including the cost of the car) to have it overhauled and even remotely close to the condition yours is in, and I'm doing all the work myself!

Big congrats! Enjoy her, be smart and keep her stock-ish like you plan, and don't give her up to anyone any time soon!

Oh, and post moar pics!!!
          1987 Toyota MR2: 20v blacktop screamer
          sigpic
          2013 Subaru BRZ: the new hotness
          1991 318is Alpine White: sold
          1989 325i Alpine White: sold

Comment

Its always a good experience running into people that love their cars...Great story, beautiful car.
            sigpic

Comment

i love vintage car people (read = the people themselves are vintage haha) they are a different breed. sounds like an awesome husband/wife duo, experience, and car!

Comment

Nice car. I'd steal that sign.

Comment

Awesome story, Awesome deal!

I hope that when im 86 I can tell storys like that lol

Comment

Great score! I wish more people would take care of their cars to preserve them for future generations. That's sounds like a similar story to how I came upon my convertible.

Comment

Great story, and Otto sounds like a guy you should keep in touch with. Old characters like him are few and far between, and just knowing them, and thier stories, better our own lives.

That, and he has a 2002 sitting in hi hanger on HIS airstrip!
                      Originally posted by codyep3
                      I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
                      2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
                      1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
                      1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
                      2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
                      2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
                      2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
                      2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
                      2010 F650gs twin
                      2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

Car looks immaculate and what an incredible story to go with it!
                        91 318is M50 swapped
                        05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread
                        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=302524

Comment

The best thing about buying E30's are the stories that come with them.
                          sigpic

Buy and sell your E30s and E30 parts on E30 Marketplace!

Comment

wowowowowowowow.WOW.

Comment

Fuck, what a price. What a story. I put my face in my hands when I saw what you paid for such a keeper. Shit even the shift knob is NLA.

Amazing find. Don't ever sell it.
                              Reminiscing...

Comment

Originally posted by dvnchrstphr View Post
                                What a great read!

I was a day late on this car. Once I got through to Otto (found on Autotrader) he mentioned someone was coming to see it the next day. I asked to shoot information to me on it's status and if it didn't sell I was on the next flight out. This was the last I got from Otto.

Definitely immaculate. Congrats!
                                No way! That's crazy you contacted Otto as well. I contacted him almost immediately after he posted the ad. He was getting a lot of interest from dealers and flakers and was pretty frustrated at the time. I guess I was the first person to come across as responsible to him. It was obvious that he cared very deeply for the car, and wanted it to go to someone that would appreciate it. Which I certainly do and will.

Otto's been pretty hard to stay in contact with. When I picked up the car, he told me he got a new computer so his e-mail address was changing (hey, he's 86, computers are like black magic). I got a few e-mails from his new e-mail address but he responds rarely. He's quite hard to understand on the phone as he has quite a thick German accent and the sound quality over phone is poor as it is. He and his wife invited us back out to visit anytime we're in Phoenix, and we intend to do so the next time they're out there. I'll take photos of him and his compound if we do. It's really a fascinating place.

Oh, and thanks for all the comments guys! I do consider myself extremely fortunate, and recounting the story makes me even more grateful. I'm proud to be the caretaker of such a great little car, and the thought of selling it at this point makes me sick. Any modifications I do are only to replace worn out parts and can be reverted back to stock if necessary. The old exhaust was in pretty sad shape, as were the control arms and shocks. Now they're new, and the car feels so alive. I love it.

Another thing I find to be unique are the options:

Moonroof
                                CD Changer
                                Factory Alarm/keyless entry
                                LSD
                                Grey cloth interior

Seems loaded for a 318is just with cloth. So cool, and everything works including the alarm/keyless entry.

Also, someone pointed out the NLA shift knob. It's pretty warn, and Otto dug out a replacement insert he bought years ago but never got a new knob to put it on. One of these days I'll get a new knob for the insert, and it'll be back to it's cherry factory-fresh state. Speaking of, I'll get the interior cleaned up and shots of it posted soon.

Comment

Working...
                                X