Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M42 check engine question

Hey all
    So after having my car sit all winter (been away at school) I bought bunch of maintenance goodies and what not to get her prepped for he summer. She starts up, wants to die, but then I give a little r3v and she hangs on and idles. Problem is I get a check engine when idling, it goes away after i give a little rev. after doing the stomp test turns out to be the 1222 code which is the lambda control code.

Essentially I'm idling rich or lean for more ham 10 seconds. Could this be he result of old gas? Or is it more likely to be an O2 sensor. I would imagine if it was the O2 sensors I would get the check engine throughout the rev range.

Just want to know what is more likely before I spend money unecessarily
    -Filipe

I have not seen a 1222 caused by old fuel that I can recall.

You should methodically go through the intake side of the engine from AFM down to the lower intake and injectors. Somewhere in there I suspect you will locate your issue. You should also take the time to test all of your sensors and coils/wires just to make sure they are in spec. Now is also a good time for a fuel filter.

However, if you do suspect old fuel to be an issue you can jump the fuel pump to get most of it out, add fresh fuel, drive it for 20 miles or so and check the plugs for lean conditions (would be helpful to check them first or replace them before starting to know what you have now).

Whatever you do, don't just throw money at the car unless you really can afford it.

Comment

Thank you for the help. New fuel filter is already in place, old gas seemed probable since I didn't have that issue last summer. I plan to check all vacuum lines and do a smoke test worst come to worst.
      -Filipe

Comment

I'm still trying to figure my 1222 out after 1.5 years of ownership, but mine is not constant. It'll hang around for a weeks then disappear for a month or two or more.

I'm trying to assemble a list of tests for all sensors/equipment for the M42, but finals are taking priority.

Vacuum leak is most likely the issue.
        Different strokes for different folks.

Comment

Yes finals are indeed a priority right now. Let me know if you make any progress, I'm sure there are others with this issue
          -Filipe

Comment

1222 is probably the most common reoccurring issue M42 owners face. Currently one of my two M42s has it, and I tend to think it has something to do with cars sitting for a fair period of time without operation.

That said it has not yet cured itself after I switched to that one as my DD. The next three things on my list of items to check are the TPS, AFM and (replace the) O2 sensor.

Don't let the car distract you from finals as this is a vexing problem and not one I would have wanted when the hectic end of the semester is upon you.

Comment

POST #6
              1991 318is ---230K - DD
              1991 318i ---- 308K - retired

Originally posted by RickSloan
              so if you didnt get it like that did you glue fuzzy oil to the entire thing?

Comment

Originally posted by Threehz View Post
                I'm still trying to figure my 1222 out after 1.5 years of ownership, but mine is not constant. It'll hang around for a weeks then disappear for a month or two or more.

I'm trying to assemble a list of tests for all sensors/equipment for the M42, but finals are taking priority.

Vacuum leak is most likely the issue.
                I would love to see that. Mostly to look it over and confirm that I have checked everything so that I don't feel guilty for not trying.
                sigpic

Comment

Also, FC 1222 is more important than finals. Priorities.
                  sigpic

Comment

1222 is lambda control

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
                    Ig:ryno_pzk
                    I like the tuna here.
                    Originally posted by lambo
                    Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

Working...
                    X