Answers to Common Sunroof Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by flying_violin View Post
    I have the same sunroof / symptoms except that my sunroof handle turns freely in either direction. It is also a manual.
    Could be the cables are stripped. This happened with my elec. sunroof. It would tilt open partially, but wouldn't move back at all.

Easy to fix, unbolt and remove the sunroof panel, unscrew the tracks on the ends of the cables, unbolt the motor to allow the cables to come out. Then just pull out the old cables and put in the new ones. Be sure to lube up the new cables very well. I probably went overboard on the lube, but much better than using too little. And I aligned the sunroof panel to the motor when the cables and panel were back in position. Just put the panel to the fully closed (zero position), sync the motor to the same zero position, and then bolt the elec. motor back in place.

Wasn't too hard after I figured out how it all worked. Just watch the headliner cover when you test open and close the sunroof. If it doesn't go into it's track properly when you close the sunroof, it can catch and tear.

Comment

^ When you say unbolt the sunroof panel, what are you talking about? The part where the crank or switch in a motorized one is? I already took that apart except the pulley mechanism. I can't get my sunroof to open at all. I figure the only way to get to it is to remove the headliner???
      JOY IS AN E30...

Comment

He didn't notice you have a manual sunroof, so disregard the motor part. What you need to do is remove the sunroof liner panel and get access to the six torx bolts that mount the sunroof to the sliders. To do this, get the sunroof open about a quarter of the way, use a wooden wedge, or better yet, a set of nylon pry tools and pry down the front edge of the liner to release the five or six clips that hold the liner to the sunroof. Be careful not to bend the liner. Patience is key. Once the liner is free, slide it towards the rear of the car to expose the size 25 torx head bolts--three on each side. These will be fairly tight--DO NOT STRIP THEM! The best way is to use a 1/4 inch drive ratchet w/extension and just be careful. Once the bolts are out, push up on the sunroof from inside and get someone to lift it out from the top.

Comment

My sunroof is completely jammed shut. The plastic drive gears are completely stripped and forcing it from above only moves the back - hence my inability to get to the liner. Any suggestions on getting it open?
          JOY IS AN E30...

Comment

Pop off the little rectangular cover on the black panel near the crank and use and allen wrench to get it open.

Comment

I had the same kind of problem since my cables were stripped, I couldn't get the panel to slide back at all to access the 6 clips on the liner.

It's a real PITA, but do your best slide back the sunroof as much as you can ( I could only get mine moved back about a 1/4") and then pull down on the front of the sunroof liner to pop out the 6 clips. The first ones are the hardest, once you've got it started, you can see the rest and it goes better.

After that do what TrentW said above to take off the sunroof panel. I did it myself by reaching in through the side window and pushed up with one hand and holding the panel with the other.

Once you get the sunroof panel out the rest is easy.

Comment

is it the seal or the alignment? or both?

ive got a problem with my sunroof and its been ticking me off for the past couple of weeks, out of nowhere it just wont slide back for the sake of things, the only way i can get it to slide back is if i push the passenger side of the panel and force it back, and what ive noticed, the passenger side seems to raise up faster than the drivers side if you see the video youll know what i mean by getting stuck, also theres pictures provided of what i think could be the seal since it is rubbing right on the housing of the sunroof, idk what it could be, if anyone can help me out id appreciate it, thanks

1986 325e (EUR)
                Grey Market
                Zinno
                327i Build
                Zender kit
                ESM 008TA

Restoration progress TBA

Originally posted by ethrtyiS
                sweet! day after my first final. really getting waffleswaffleswaffleswafflesed up then!!

Comment

Seeking tricks for removing stuck sunroof panel

I have a '89 manual crank roof panel stuck partway open. The front gears are fine, and I can crank the roof all the way open without any trouble. It will crank closed only a few inches before getting bound up in the same spot each time. Cables are not broken, but something toward the back is broken and preventing me from cranking it all the way closed.

I can get the panel headliner unclipped from the front edge of the panel just fine but that does not help me slide it back since I cant get it closed very far at all, much less all the way closed so I could pop up the back and remove it.

At this point, I think my only option is to start removing the main car headliner in the back under the rear where the panel goes when in the open position, until I have exposed enough of the guts to see if I can get at what has it stuck.

I've tried lubing up the cables and cranking the panel in and out as far as it will go a few dozen times but it has not improved it at all.

Any other tips anyone can offer before I remove an otherwise perfectly good headliner?

Thanks!!

Comment

Can you unclip that headliner and push it back?

I bet #12, the rain gutter piece that collects rain when the sunroof is completely closed has detached from the #14 part. Is it a little plastic clip that holds it together so if there is a snag, no grease or you force it closed with that rain gutter piece snagged that clip will be the first piece to come off.

My brother has his headliner out and when I get a chance I can take some pics so you can see better. I was fortunate enough to have this problem happen after the sunroof lid was removed so I could look down with a flash light and fish that piece out. I am not saying this is definitely your problem but without the sunroof off it will be a bitch to diagnose.
                    sigpic
                    TRANSACTION FEEDBACK HERE
                    FOR SALE ITEMS HERE

Comment

I can unclip the headliner from the front edge but I could not push it back more than like a half inch before it gets bound up because the sunroof is basically open at this point. Looking at your drawing, it might be worth trying a little harder since it is up at that end. Maybe I will get lucky.

Comment

Ya, if anything you might just break that piece completely and have to find a new one or bend it back which is what I did with my friends. If your headliner is in good condition I would rather ruin the sunroof piece and source that instead of trying to get a new headliner install which would be way more expensive.
                        sigpic
                        TRANSACTION FEEDBACK HERE
                        FOR SALE ITEMS HERE

Comment

Yes the headliner is in perfect condition at this point. Hacking out the headliner on the panel is preferable if I have to do it because it would be less to replace, but I don't see how it will gain me anything unless I can get to the clips you mentioned. I'll take a closer look and see just how far I can force the panel headliner back before I start messing with the main headliner. It's going to rain tomorrow so it will all be under a tarp for a day or so before I can get to it at this point.

Comment

Alright ladies and gentlemen, a horrible thing just happened.

I was cruising in the spring sun, music blasting and sunroof down for the ladies.. And while I was winding it down (It's electric, not manual) I guess it got stuck too far back or something? I've had it this far back before, but it seems to be stuck.

For clarification I'm driving a 1986 BMW 325e. [Here is a picture of the mess](http://imgur.com/CbpOBKX)

When I try to push the forward button, it makes a whining/screeching sound, so I don't think forcing it is a good idea.

I have no idea what to do, this has never happened to me before and I'm not to car handy.

So someone, anyone, PLEASE help me! Any advice is strongly welcomed as I think it's going to rain tonight :'(

Comment

If it sounds like the motor is making the noise, pop off the little access panel near the button, find the allen wrench from the tool kit (if it's still there), insert it into the opening on the motor and try to close it manually.

Comment

Is there a way to re-time the sunroof crank mechanism?
                                For example: you know the clicking noise that happens when you get the sunroof closed all the way? My sunroof makes that noise but only when its like 3 cranks away from being closed. Therefore I have to reach out the window to make sure the sunroof closes up as I continue cranking, really annoying. Whats the fix?

Flickr

@michael.colby on Instagram

"All he needed was a wheel in his hand and four on the road"

Comment

Working...
                                X