blower motor /resister replacement pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Black_E30 View Post
    Great thread - thanks for the DIY and pics!

With the pics, the job is not at all complicated; the challenge now is that the parts may be so stuck in there after sitting unmoved for so long, that it might take enough force to move them you'd be worried about breaking something or have you thinking that you are attempting to moving things in the wrong direction.

In my case, I could not get the blower motor resistor to move more than a few mm by pulling with fingers even when reaching behind it and reefing, and I eventually had to grab the resistor with pliers and pull to get it out. I thought the old plastic might break, but it did not.

The blower motor clip was a bear to undo. "Click" thanks for the post suggesting to use the channel lock pliers. I was not able to loosen it that way, but the post did help make it clear that you simply pull or pry the bottom of the clip down, so I ended up just using a screwdriver and twisting to pry the end of the clip down and out. It took a ridiculous amount of force to pry the clip out (maybe because it hasn't moved in ~27 years?), but prying it out didn't seem to mangle anything severely.
    I personally had a tough time getting the motor clipped back in because the band fell out of it's original position and I couldn't figure out where it hooks in before you put the motor in. I still don't know how I did it. Got lucky. I hope this helps someone.

Comment

mine only works on speed 4, should i buy a new resistor for $30 or do many of them come good with a clean up? its one of those things i dont want to have to redo but if the resistors rarely fail then i dont want to waste money at same time and it will take a week or two to get one locally most likely

leading up to it not working on anything but speed 4 i did hear an occasional light squeak when i first turn fan on for a few seconds every now and then. is that pointing towards blower on its way out?
      Last edited by digger; 11-03-2016, 02:01 PM.
      89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Just finished replacing the motor fan myself, I don't know what had happened in there but this is what came out:

Scored a motor fan out of a 1990 sedan at the pull a part today and had good practice removing it. The clip was a bitch and a half to undo, everything else went relatively straight forward.

Finally I have full blast air!
        "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
        -Mario Andretti.

1991 E30 325ic, AW, Black Leather, Black top, Three Pedals.

Comment

Working...
        X