No Dumping: The 1-owner 318is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Dumping: The 1-owner 318is

I bought this car in November, just haven't gotten around to posting photos or story yet. This weekend I put on Koni Adjustable and H&R Sports for a 325 as well as M3 CAB's, control arms, you name it. Also the new Stromung exhaust for the 318is. Drives incredible. My buying experience was pretty unique, figured I'd share. Scroll down for photos if reading isn't your thing.

I've been wanting one of these cars for years. I hate boring daily's, and an M42 e30 seemed ideal. Fun to drive, economical, reliable, and could get me through the occasional autocross. Every one I’ve found has either been too expensive or beat to within inches of its life. I wanted something stock and well cared for at a reasonable price, which seemed to be too much to ask for. To kill some time on a boring Wednesday morning, I did a search on craigslist for e30 M42’s. Found nothing in LA, nothing in Orange County, but I was visiting my sister in Phoenix the upcoming weekend…so I checked Phoenix. Listing for a “BMW 318is” for 2,950. Probably a clapped-out e36…

“I am the 2nd owner, bought in 1992.
    135380 miles, very well maintained, all records since new.
    Always garaged”

A few crappy craigslist photos indicated an e30 car that looked immaculate. I almost couldn’t believe the ad. It looked and sounded like everything I wanted, but there was no phone number. So, I sent an e-mail just to see, pleading my case about being a German car enthusiast and wanting one of these for years. I received a response within a few hours and was short and to the point.

“Buyer backed out, extremely disrespectful. All people contacting me are disrespectful. I want the car going to someone who will love it, and you sound sincere. Would you like to see it?”

I pleaded my case some more, but mentioned I was in LA and wouldn’t be able to come out until Saturday, and I understood if the car sold before then. The response:

“I want you to have my car. I won’t show it to anyone before Saturday. If you have a pilot friend, you can fly here, I live on a private airstrip.”

Private airstrip? I didn’t have a pilot friend, but now I was fascinated. I set up a time, he sent me the address. It was in the middle of the desert, a paved strip of runway with driveways off it leading houses. At the end of his e-mail, he mentioned that as I turned on his street, I had to make sure no planes were taking off or landing. If the car was garbage, at least I’d have a story out of it. My wife was convinced we were going to be the last parts of the human centipede. It took some pleading, but she agreed to drive out with me.

We booked a one-way ticket and my sister picked us up in Phoenix. I borrowed her car, and my wife and I drove well into the desert the following morning. The runway his house was on was off a dirt road that wasn’t labeled, and I drove past it twice. The 5 rusty mailboxes on the edge should have indicated civilization, but they blended into the desert all too well. I checked for planes and turned onto the runway, found the house, and pulled in the driveway off the runway. There was a large hanger at the end of the driveway and a 4x2 car garage off the house. Looked like a dream. I walked up to the front door, and Otto answered the door.

Otto, the car’s owner, spoke with a thick German accent. He proudly proclaimed to be 86 years young, loved flying, and adventuring. His wife Rita told us of the time he drove his 1973 2002 from New York City to Buenos Aires, Argentina and back. Because he could. He was the type of person you read about in fictional stories, almost hard to believe. He was excited to show me the car, took me out to the garage where there were two covered cars at the back, an e46 330i, his wife’s Toyota Solara (which he lamented the existence of), and soon to be my new e30.

As he opened the garage door to let the morning desert sunlight in, I was trying the best I could to contain myself. He told me he's technically the 2nd owner, but bought the car in 1991 from a friend who bought it for his wife but she hated the manual transmission. This car was pristine. I couldn’t find much wrong with it, a few dents and scratches, paint that could use a good buffing, an engine compartment slathered in 21 years baked on cosmoline, and a dirty underside from being on a dirt road, the car was incredible. The interior was perfect. Flawless dash, and pristine cloth sport seats. Factory radio with CD changer that works, and factory-installed alarm that works. He hadn’t started the car for days because he wanted me to hear it on cold start. It started effortlessly almost immediately and as it settled down into a high cold idle, I was sold.

We drove the car up and down the runway and it was like driving a new car. Sure there were some squeaks and rattles from the 21 year-old interior plastic, but it tracked straight, accelerated great, and handled perfectly. We returned to the house, my wife and his were having tea in the backyard, and he asked if I wanted to see in the hanger. He showed me the plane he built himself in 1994 and told me stories about flying to South America, Mexico, and Canada. In the corner was his afore mentioned 73 2002 and an e28 535is. Neither for sale, no matter how many times I brought it up. He had the title and all of the maintenance records for the e30 in his office in the hanger. As I flipped through the records, he mentioned that if anything wore out, he replaced it instantly with BMW parts. Anything less would compromise the integrity of the car. The car is probably worth 50% more in California. I was getting a deal.

He invited us to stay for lunch, but we had to be on our way. I could have spent all day chatting with him, but I had a new e30 to drive, and my sister was expecting us back for her birthday party. I buy and sell cars like crazy, and my sister just rolled her eyes when I pulled up in yet another car, but this time it was different. This thing was what I always wanted. We drove the car from Phoenix to LA that Sunday afternoon without a hitch.

My wife calls the car "Otto" after the guy we bought it from. I'm not one to name cars, but it seems appropriate.

I suck, I didn't take photos of the interior. I'll do that soon if people are interested.

you must of been on cloud 9 when you saw the car for the first time.

rad story op.

Comment

Very clean! Nice story too.

Any other mods planned for the car?

Nürburgring info

Comment

Amazing car and story. Hard to find clean cars for that price.
        I have friends who are EOD bro.

That's awesome. I have friends who make coffee for a living, but you don't see me rocking out a bunch of lattes

Comment

amazing. so clean
          Originally posted by TSI
          ♫ Rust flecks are falling on my head...♫
          OEM+

Comment

this has to check on your bucket list. Looks very immaculate, please KEEP this one. (if not, let me know haha)

Herb
            - 98 M3 Cabrio
            Photo work: http://www.herbreal.com
            Instagram: @herbreal
            Twitter:the_herb_real

Comment

Originally posted by RUFFLZ View Post
              rad story op.
              +1!

Sounds like an awesome experience!

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
              Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by RUFFLZ View Post
                you must of been on cloud 9 when you saw the car for the first time.

rad story op.
                You have no idea. I almost shrieked like a 13 year-old and a Beiber concert when I saw it for the first time.

Originally posted by Dirtboy View Post
                Very clean! Nice story too.

Any other mods planned for the car?
                Aside from the H&R Sports/Koni's, M3 cabs, and Stromung exhaust, I think I'm leaving it alone. When it comes time to change the rear bushings, I might do a soft poly. I want to keep it as close to stock as I can. e30's don't tend to survive like this. It's my daily, so I want to keep it as livable as possible.

Originally posted by ADlBOO View Post
                Amazing car and story. Hard to find clean cars for that price.
                You're telling me! I started looking for one of these 4 years ago. Couldn't find anything for 6 months, and "settled" for a 944 Turbo track rat. Daily driving that sucked the big one. I'm stoked to FINALLY have the car I've wanted.

Originally posted by lolcantturn View Post
                amazing. so clean
                Installed the CABs and control arm I picked up from you. Perfect going, thanks man!

Originally posted by HerbReal View Post
                this has to check on your bucket list. Looks very immaculate, please KEEP this one. (if not, let me know haha)
                My car bucket list is a lot shorter now, that's for sure. It's unbelievably clean. I can't count how many times people have offered to buy it. My smog guy, DMV guy, AAA guy, random people at gas stations. This is the first car I've had where I have NO desire to sell it. If I did, I'd try to keep it in the community where it'd be appreciated for what it is.

Comment

That is one amazing story, and sounds like the deal of the century. Well done!
                  sigpic
                  Delphin '87 325i Vert

Comment

Wow, what an experience.
                    You don't run into many people like this these days.

Happy for you

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Beautiful car and awesome story. You are going to enjoy using that car as your daily, I know I do ;)
                      Originally posted by blunttech
                      Levent guzzles vanilla hazelnut creamer like its my semen
                      :shock:

Comment

usually nice cars like this tend to get owned by prius's hope that doesnt happen.

Comment

Awesome story and great car! Enjoy it!
                          PNW Crew
                          90 m3
                          06 m5

Comment

What a great read!

I was a day late on this car. Once I got through to Otto (found on Autotrader) he mentioned someone was coming to see it the next day. I asked to shoot information to me on it's status and if it didn't sell I was on the next flight out. This was the last I got from Otto.

Definitely immaculate. Congrats!

Documentation of my 1991 BMW 318iS

Comment

Haha, great story OP. In for interior pics.
                              sigpic

1999 528it - Daily Driver “Dad Wagon”
                              1991 325is - 2.8L Budget Stroker Garage Slut
                              1991 318is - Sold
                              1986 325 - Sold

Instagram - Lamoursum

Comment

Working...
                              X