Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

S52 with zf 5speed. Clutch throw issues.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S52 with zf 5speed. Clutch throw issues.

Hi guys,

Ive been having a slight issue with my swap. It seems i have to push the clutch all the way to the floor to be able to shift smooth. I actually had to remove my clutch stop. Even with this, sometimes its still not as smooth as i like.

I even tried different length slave cylinder pushrods.

I put in new clutch master and slave cylinders. No change.

Anyone else have this issue?

I am running a uuc lightweight flywheel, and uuc clutch.

I may trying to make an adjustable pushrod to see if it helps...but thinking it has to something else as i never hear anyone else talk about this.

Hello,

Pretty sure that UUC recommends a 328I slave cylinder for that set up or mentions it for "feel", from what I remember they 328I has a longer throw. So you might check into that at least. Hope that helps.

Comment

Thats what i currently have installed. Still not to my liking. I may try and make a longer pushrod, to see if it helps.

Comment

Are you 100% sure the clutch is bled all the way? I've had this happen before with mine because it wasn't completely bled out

1989 Coupe build thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=312012
        IG: @mitchlikesbikes

Comment

Make sure everything is bled 100%.
          -Brad, AlphaTeam Motorwerks, LLC
          91' 318iS - S54/6MT Swapped
          08' E90 M3 6MT - Daily
          04' Chevy Duramax CCLB - Work Truck/Hauler

Originally posted by IronJoe
          Alpha Team: running through e30s, gringo icebergs, and 19 yr olds.

Originally posted by 2mAn
          Brads a standup guy even though he likes buttsex

Comment

Unbolt the slave cylinder and use it to pump fluid backwards up through the master and reservoir. Basically repeatedly ride it on the studs in the transmission to cause the pushrod to pump fluid in reverse.
            -Peter
            '86 S52 coupe | Cotm: 6/18
            '91 318is slicktop project
            '14 F15 X5 35d M Sport
            '00 Tundra

Comment

Originally posted by Habla View Post
              Unbolt the slave cylinder and use it to pump fluid backwards up through the master and reservoir. Basically repeatedly ride it on the studs in the transmission to cause the pushrod to pump fluid in reverse.
              That works?

I already dropped the stupid pushrod into the tranny once. I don't want to have that happen ever again...so a little nervous pulling the slave out again.

I need to try something though.

I have pressure bleed it many many times, and still not awesome.

Jay

Comment

What part number are you using for the slave cylinder and master cylinder? Any chance you are using the M3 slave cylinder?

I was planning to replace my slave cylinder and noticed that there is a different part number for the slave cylinder in the e36 328i vs. the e36 M3 (and 5 series that use the ZF) and that got me thinking about this thread. I was wondering if maybe the M3 version had a smaller bore to make the clutch pedal lighter to compensate for the heavier clutch, resulting in a longer throw. Anyone know the difference between the two? If you are running the M3 slave maybe that could be part of your issue.

Comment

M3 version has a larger bore. This theoretically results in less effort required and shorter throw

According to realoem
                  S52 Slave Cyl - 21526775924
                  D=22,20MM

328i Slave Cyl - 21521159045
                  D=20,64MM

Comment

Ooh, didn't know that. That might help with driving home after soccer, lol

Thanks
                    -Peter
                    '86 S52 coupe | Cotm: 6/18
                    '91 318is slicktop project
                    '14 F15 X5 35d M Sport
                    '00 Tundra

Comment

Originally posted by HertE30 View Post
                      M3 version has a larger bore. This theoretically results in less effort required and shorter throw

According to realoem
                      S52 Slave Cyl - 21526775924
                      D=22,20MM

328i Slave Cyl - 21521159045
                      D=20,64MM
                      Yep, I did a bit more research and found this same info. However, based on what I could find I think the E30 and E36 328i and E36 M3 both have 3/4 inch clutch master cylinders, so the either slave cylinder should work with any of them. I'm guessing the OP's issue has to do with air in the system.

Comment

Did you replace the release fork? I had something similar many years ago and never figured out why, but I ended up removing the pivot ball, tapping the transmission so I could insert a threaded rod (to make the pivot adjustable), then used a nut to lock the threaded rod.

Since you purchased a complete clutch setup, the other reason I found wouldn't pertain to you, but perhaps will help someone in the future. I had a 328 come in for a clutch change. Would barely release at the floor after the new clutch was installed, so out came everything. Turned out a PO of the car had replaced the flywheel with one from a 325. The diameters are close enough that everything bolts in, but the 328/m3 disk touches the step in the flywheel so the clutch never fully releases. This may have been the issue the first time around, but I didn't do that first build, just made the clutch work.
                        john@m20guru.com
                        Links:
                        Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by Habla View Post
                          Ooh, didn't know that. That might help with driving home after soccer, lol
                          lol having a heavy clutch really sucks after leg workouts for sure
                          1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Working...
                          X