Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GC Coilover selection - Assistance plz.

Hello -

Looking at GC coilover kit/koni inserts but unsure of the spring rates to go with.

Not a DD or a Track Rat, nothing harsh or bottom out M42 oil pan (91' 318is)

Talked to Jay @ GC and have a good convo but wondering if I could get some user feedback from forum members.

TIA

I got a GC kit I that came with Koni top adjustable (front and rear). I forget my spring rate but it might've been the lightest. Kit is great. I would suggest getting some camber plates too. I'm running on a 318is also.
    HTH

dlm ny country

Comment

I'm running the 440/650 springs in my 325 w/ the custom Konis and street prepared camber plates. So far the car has been a weekend & autox car. I was talked out of the stiffer springs, but honestly wish I'd gotten them at this point. My car feels soft up front to me. I does not feel harsh except on really bumpy surfaces, but that's bound to happen with single adjustable shocks and full poly/delrin bushings. I found -4 to -5° of camber is good up front. I have super even tire wear and lots of grip.

Few things to note:
      1) I suggest not getting the fully cut down struts and instead have them left ~1" longer than typical. My car is raised to max and is as low as I would ever consider going. Unless you're just looking to go as low as possible in which case, there are probably cheaper options for you than the GCs anyway.

2) You will need rear camber/toe adjustment in order to avoid excessive rear camber and tire wear. The weld in tab ones w/ eccentric bolts are okay, but one of mine slipped over time and made the handling of the car really wonky. I personally like the saw-tooth style more, but it's much more difficult to adjust.

3) I think GC could deal with adding more stiffness to their Konis. I tuned mine on the autox course and the fronts are set full hard and I was still picking up grip. I would prefer another 50-100% adjustability on the fronts or at least shift the whole range up by 50% since there's no reason I'd ever run at the bottom end of the damping rate.

Comment

Working...
      X