Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Schnitzer318is View Post
    Will do.

Thanks for the info. I have never done them before so am not familiar with their function.
    It's literally the upper spring perch. The term "drophats" throws people out of wack.
    ADAMS Autosport

Comment

I'm selling my e90 drop hats, if you want them, I can do $23 shipped.
      Bought parts from me before? leave your feedback here

Comment

Originally posted by mr.vang View Post
        i'm selling my e90 drop hats, if you want them, i can do $23 shipped.
        ygpm.
        "A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality."
        -----------------------------------------
        91 318is Turbo Sold
        87 325 Daily driver Sold
        06 4.8is X5
        06 Mtec X3
        05 4.4i X5 Sold
        92 325ic Sold & Re-purchased
        90 325i Sold
        97 328is Sold
        01 323ci Sold
        92 325i Sold
        83 528e Totaled
        98 328i Sold
        93 325i Sold

Comment

Drop hats have arrived in the mail. Thanks to mr.vang. Here are the before pictures. Notice the reverse rake? LOL me too.

"A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality."
          91 318is Turbo Sold
          87 325 Daily driver Sold
          06 4.8is X5
          06 Mtec X3
          05 4.4i X5 Sold
          90 325i Sold
          97 328is Sold
          01 323ci Sold
          92 325i Sold
          83 528e Totaled
          98 328i Sold
          93 325i Sold

Comment

WOW! Hats are meant for small adjustments, not whats going on with that gasser! Good looking cabrio though.

COTM

Comment

Originally posted by N2MYE30 View Post
              WOW! Hats are meant for small adjustments, not whats going on with that gasser! Good looking cabrio though.
              Thanks for the compliment.

Yeah, I was a bit confused about the ride height as well after replacing the struts. BTW, I LOL'd at "gasser." :) The OE struts were definitely shorter than the replacement Monroe's. I had them double check at Oreilly's (who is usually pretty good in my experience) and that is what pops up for a 92 vert. I even looked online myself to triple check.

Going to install the new hats and see what she looks like. If it is still not okay... I am going to have to return the struts (lifetime warranty) and go with something else. BTW, in the Bentley it gives ride height checking procedures and adjustment info... the car is sitting about 1.5inches high according to the specs. But that is fully unladen. The vehicle is supposed to be checked with 150lbs up front, and other weights spread around the car. LOL I am detail oriented, but I wasn't going to drag 300lbs of weights out there to check the measurements. Plus I think the 16" wheels would throw it off compared to the stock weaves.
              91 318is Turbo Sold
              87 325 Daily driver Sold
              06 4.8is X5
              06 Mtec X3
              05 4.4i X5 Sold
              90 325i Sold
              97 328is Sold
              01 323ci Sold
              92 325i Sold
              83 528e Totaled
              98 328i Sold
              93 325i Sold

Comment

When I got my barn find the front struts were blown so I threw in the drop hats along with Bilstein Touring struts soIm in the camp that says drop hats make a nominal difference and will not eliminate the reverse rake in an otherwise stock cabrio. IMO its not even worth the trouble to install then unless you are removing the struts anyway.

Its the springs that make the difference.
                Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                Alice the Time Capsule
                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Originally posted by jeffnhiscars View Post
                  When I got my barn find the front struts were blown so I threw in the drop hats along with Bilstein Touring struts soIm in the camp that says drop hats make a nominal difference and will not eliminate the reverse rake in an otherwise stock cabrio. IMO its not even worth the trouble to install then unless you are removing the struts anyway.

Its the springs that make the difference.
                  Thanks for the info on your experience.

I will be installing Bilstein Heavy Duty (same as Tourings I think) struts and removing the Monroes. I believe this is a large part of the reverse rake shown in the pics. My stock shocks were shorter than the Monroes and still had life in them. I replaced because "while I'm in there" took over while doing the bad strut mounts. Will install the drop hats with the Billy HD's and I believe will level out the suspension. Don't want low at all... or I'd be with you guys saying go with springs.
                  91 318is Turbo Sold
                  87 325 Daily driver Sold
                  06 4.8is X5
                  06 Mtec X3
                  05 4.4i X5 Sold
                  90 325i Sold
                  97 328is Sold
                  01 323ci Sold
                  92 325i Sold
                  83 528e Totaled
                  98 328i Sold
                  93 325i Sold

Comment

Struts have no effect on ride height. Springs are what set the height of the car.

My guess is your old strut mounts were severely worn and were distorting upward. Replacing them essentially raised the car back up. The rear is low because those are also distorted.

Comment

Originally posted by NitroRustlerDriver View Post
                      Struts have no effect on ride height. Springs are what set the height of the car.

My guess is your old strut mounts were severely worn and were distorting upward. Replacing them essentially raised the car back up. The rear is low because those are also distorted.
                      That's something I hadn't thought of... but what's up with the different lengths of the struts? Seems like it would mean they have the wrong travel for the vehicle if it is not causing the car to raise at all. No?

I'll have a look at the rear mounts next time I am putting the top down... but I think those were done not too long ago. Will update with more info. The plan was to do rear shocks as well with the same brand as the front struts but that got pushed back until I can get the front to a reasonable level and figure out why it's so high. The car definitely never sat this high before (this is the second time I've owned this vehicle) so I am still inclined to think it has something to do with those shocks... even though it is contrary to your info. I'll figure it out... and update here.

Thanks for the input nitro. Gives me something else to ponder.
                      91 318is Turbo Sold
                      87 325 Daily driver Sold
                      06 4.8is X5
                      06 Mtec X3
                      05 4.4i X5 Sold
                      90 325i Sold
                      97 328is Sold
                      01 323ci Sold
                      92 325i Sold
                      83 528e Totaled
                      98 328i Sold
                      93 325i Sold

Comment

A new strut will naturally extend but that's not enough to raise your car. Thendamper and spring need to match so if you have a sport spring you need sport struts and standard dampers require standard height springs (or close to it) so they don't bottom out

Again, changing dampers will not change your stance. I also doubt your strut mounts will effect ride height unless they are totally shot in which case you would feel it.
                        Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                        Alice the Time Capsule
                        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                        87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Originally posted by jeffnhiscars View Post
                          A new strut will naturally extend but that's not enough to raise your car. Thendamper and spring need to match so if you have a sport spring you need sport struts and standard dampers require standard height springs (or close to it) so they don't bottom out

Again, changing dampers will not change your stance. I also doubt your strut mounts will effect ride height unless they are totally shot in which case you would feel it.
                          Yeah... I went out and checked to make sure I had the springs all seated properly and the rubber isolators were in the perches correctly. And I agree now with you and Nitro the new struts are not making the ride height higher... but they are too soft and am going to change them for the billys anyway (already ordered). As you say, my mounts would have had to be totally shot for it to affect ride height and they weren't... the bearing was just making more noise than I would like.

I've gone back and looked at some old pictures of this car from the first time I owned it... and it appears that it always sat really high in the front. The only reason I am noticing it so much must be due to the wheel/tire change from the stock weaves. Still need to have a look at the rear strut mounts to see if anything is wrong there... but like the fronts if they were so bad to be affecting ride height, I'd probably hear/feel something to that effect.

BTW, BavAuto is having a nice sale on Bilstein HD's and Sports right now... $118 and $122/ea respectively w/ free shipping.
                          91 318is Turbo Sold
                          87 325 Daily driver Sold
                          06 4.8is X5
                          06 Mtec X3
                          05 4.4i X5 Sold
                          90 325i Sold
                          97 328is Sold
                          01 323ci Sold
                          92 325i Sold
                          83 528e Totaled
                          98 328i Sold
                          93 325i Sold

Comment

Super late update. But I don't drive the car too much so never got around to updating. Plus had a second child... so have no time to take pics, upload, and update anymore. Only doing it now because I am sick and the wife has me quarantined to our bedroom.

So, here is the after shot of the drop hats w/ billy HD's installed. As was advised here, the drop hats don't drop too much, but it definitely helped a bit visually.

As you can see though... still too high. But the wife was driving it at the time so I left it that way. For the last year I'm the only one who drives it as we got her a 2010 X5d... and not even that much. Maybe 1000 miles last year. Soooooo, down she goes. Installed some H&R sports with the billy HD's this past weekend with the help of another member here.

Dropped everything because she needed an oil pan gasket and wanted to clean everything off at the same time. She also got new tie rods, control arms, CAB's, and sway bar bushings. I debated removing the drop hats but the buddy who was helping with install said he'd leave them, so I gave it a shot. Here is the end result, no spring settling (if there is going to be any).

The rear is still on stock springs with unknown pads, shock, etc. Not sure if I will be installing the H&R sports springs on the rear. Have Billy HD shocks on the way along with HD mounts so we'll see.
                            91 318is Turbo Sold
                            87 325 Daily driver Sold
                            06 4.8is X5
                            06 Mtec X3
                            05 4.4i X5 Sold
                            90 325i Sold
                            97 328is Sold
                            01 323ci Sold
                            92 325i Sold
                            83 528e Totaled