Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bilstein B8 suit mtech springs?

Greetings all.

As the title suggests, Would bilstein B8 shocks suit mtech springs and struts in a series 1?

I understand the B8s are just a shorter stiffer version of the b6s.

my car is an 85' 323i with mtech suspension (factory optioned according to my VIN lookup).

My understanding is the mtech suspension is slightly lower than standard e30 suspension. maybe 150-20mm? and slightly stiffer.

Reason for wanting to go the B8s is that eventually i want to convert the front struts to adjustable height "coilovers" using one of those sleeve kits with a stiffer spring and id like to only buy shocks once.

My current shock absorbers are currently completely worn out, so if i can just plonk the B8s in with the oem springs and struts that would get me out of trouble until i work out what springs im buying (and save my pennies...)

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

No comments?

Comment

Clever to have to only buy once. Props. I made the mistake and it hurts the wallet.

If you buy the standard B8s, you're stuck at a 'standard' height. Which is fine unless you want to go low low. Because a lot of the GC setups people run is with 'shortened strut' housings, which requires Corrado G60 shocks and cutting and welding. So really depends if you want 'hotboi' or a nice adjustable e30.

I really thought about doing the same, but I will be riding on my junk suspension until I can afford real coils.
      20% Accurate

Morty: Well Summer maybe people that create things aren’t concerned with your delicate sensibilities you know? Maybe the species that communicate with each other through a filter of your comfort are less evolved that the ones that just communicate? Maybe your problems are your own to deal with and maybe the public giving a shit about your feelings is a one way ticket to extinction.

Comment

thanks for your reply.

I am not really interested in low low low, with the mtech springs the car is low enough already. what are these corrado g60 shocks? i assume they have a smaller body and shorter stroke?

Main reason for wanting to go with the coilvoer setup for the front is that its very easy to change out springs for different spring rates for fine tuning. Also thinner springs allow for plenty of camber adjustment. Srings are also very cheap in 62mm ID or whatever it is.

Comment

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
          thanks for your reply.

I am not really interested in low low low, with the mtech springs the car is low enough already. what are these corrado g60 shocks? i assume they have a smaller body and shorter stroke?

Main reason for wanting to go with the coilvoer setup for the front is that its very easy to change out springs for different spring rates for fine tuning. Also thinner springs allow for plenty of camber adjustment. Srings are also very cheap in 62mm ID or whatever it is.
          The G60 shocks are what most run with the GC 'Shortened Housing' option.

I say you would be happy with Bilsteins. When you go to order coils GC even has an option for Billy or Koni.

Just to let you know, I have only ever had Bilstein, but after some research, if it's going to be on coilovers, Konis have really been the common in this part of the internet.

I have been thinking about Konis personally and I love my Billys. I just like stiff and I worry Koni would be softer, but that's another topic.
          20% Accurate

Morty: Well Summer maybe people that create things aren’t concerned with your delicate sensibilities you know? Maybe the species that communicate with each other through a filter of your comfort are less evolved that the ones that just communicate? Maybe your problems are your own to deal with and maybe the public giving a shit about your feelings is a one way ticket to extinction.

Comment

The internet seems to be full of bilstein vs Koni debates and like most internet things its all anecdotal evidence. The konis yellow sports are a bit cheaper, maybe they would be the go.

Comment

Working...
            X