It's a rescue!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cabriolet View Post
    Trust me, at the point you are at with yours i was ready to give up. it takes hours to get stuff right and if you take a pic of before and after it's exactly the same. but trust me, driving a car perfectly the way you want it to be is the best.
    Amen. :D
    sigpic

Comment

Got my new locks cut from the VIN in Germany. It's so nice to have locks that actually work and are all one key.

No scratches on this one.

There is a bitch clip on the transmission and this is the other bitch clip. in a 2dr or vert these are easy to change. but on the 4drs you have to take out the window motor. My right arm looks like it belongs to a goth kid. lots of tiny little cuts.

The final product.

Also put these in finally. I've had them since before the car went to paint and now im just getting to installing them. much lazy but tired of people pointing them out as missing.
      Last edited by Cabriolet; 07-12-2015, 10:32 PM.
      Much wow
      I hate 4 doors

Comment

Hi all. I just drop the car to WA and back without an issue. But I thought I had blown my rear stock shock mounts again. luckily it was just my speaker crossover that was loose and making a knocking noise. but I bought some GC shock mounts. This the first real work I have done to my car, since moving to Sac, and boy oh boy did I pick a hot day to do it. It was well over 100F in the garage and that was not fun.
        anyways out with the old

and in with the new upgrades.

So I've known that I've had a small leak from the heater core valve, but it is such a pain to change I've just been putting it off. I have the new part from BMW sitting in the box it came in, months ago but, I really don't feel like changing it.

It's just not bad enough to do it.

Maybe this weekend I'll get around to do it. but i also need to reupholster the moon roof slider and finish fixing the track and drive wires.

Well it looks like I forgot to post about the moonroof, it hasnt worked since i built the car. the issue i found out only after is the 2 screws that hold the tubes for the drive wires were left out and the motor was bending them. it ended up breaking the roof sliders and so I had to get new ones from bmw... $300 ouch. but now it works... kinda.
        This car was a manual sunroof car and i swapped it to powered sunroof.

These plastic runners have been missing from all my e30s

ahhhh nice and un-cracked

Then lastly, the topic of startec's discoloring came up on R3v FB so I inspected my MHWs to find that they are slightly discolored as well.

Been driving to Auburn to get dinner so here's a shot from Saturday.

Untitled_Panorama1 by Eric Berger, on Flickr
        Much wow
        I hate 4 doors

Comment

your paint. let me lick it

Comment

Originally posted by oliver.r View Post
            your paint. let me lick it
            I do love my paint. thx again bae
            Much wow
            I hate 4 doors

Comment

More money has been wasted. I 100% did not need these but I had to have them…
              Wilwood 280mm BBK.
              I had Brembo blanks and Bosch pads and they never inspired confidence. My wife's MK4, you touch the brakes and it lets you know they are there. Whereas all the e30s except my M3 have been garbage. I do have an ATE e32 master cylinder coming this week that I will install. All this in hopes of curing the bad brakes of a stock e30. Dmitriy disagree with the bad brakes but that like his opinion man.

After bleeding out these bad boys several times and hammering the crap out of the dust shield they fit on without rubbing. Though, the stock caliper bolts are too long and when they are tightened they interfere with the disk. This was solved by adding a waster to the back of each bolt. plus loctite.

Now that I see them like this, I want bigger brakes.

While I was at it, I lowered my car for the show this weekend. I haven't tried to get out of my driveway yet. We'll see how that goes but I'm guessing ill need to remove the front lip to get out.
              YL7A9357 by Eric Berger, on Flickr
              Much wow
              I hate 4 doors

Comment

Looking good! How much did it cost you to get all the new locks? My drivers side doesnt work with the key at all anymore, I was thinking of doing the same.
                Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

Shit if you didn't like your brembo blank/Bosch setup mine needs to go ASAP if in trying to stop a m30 powered car. Looks like I'll be getting some hawk pads. More info on lock replacement? I need to get new ones aswell

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
                  1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
                  Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
                  Mtech 2 turbo restoration
                  Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Brembo blanks with stainless lines, good pads and good fluid are more than enough to stop track/race cars.
                    Originally posted by kronus
                    would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Originally posted by agent View Post
                      Brembo blanks with stainless lines, good pads and good fluid are more than enough to stop track/race cars.
                      Enough, yes, but the difference between 6P front, 4P rear 310mm Wilwoods is so amazing. It just makes stopping so smooth and easy. Not necessary, but neither is eating steak instead of McDicks but I'd rather that any day.
                      1990 325i Touring - The Bonsai Bimmer - Patiently Waiting
                      1984 316 Coupe - The Base Model - Pain in the Ass
                      1988 750iL - The Daily Driver
                      ...And a couple others...

Comment

Originally posted by Staszek View Post
                        Looking good! How much did it cost you to get all the new locks? My drivers side doesnt work with the key at all anymore, I was thinking of doing the same.
                        I think both doors and ignition with key was like $70ish.
                        Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
                        Shit if you didn't like your brembo blank/Bosch setup mine needs to go ASAP if in trying to stop a m30 powered car. Looks like I'll be getting some hawk pads. More info on lock replacement? I need to get new ones aswell
                        Go to any dealer. bring your ID, pick slip, reg. ask for keys to be made off your vin. 2 weeks later they come and you pick them up. make sure you get a new key at the same time. if you dont your old key will not work well. if at all if your OP messed up stuff.

brembo blanks are good. but the bosch pads are the worst brake pad i've ever driven on. they dont wear out but they also squeak at low speed and bbq if u go up in the hills for pleasure.

Originally posted by agent View Post
                        true but for the price I got the wilwoods for with 2 full sets of pads it would have cost about the same for 2 sets of Hawk+/pfc008s.
                        not to mention the car came with Girling calipers and master cylinder. so swaping them to ATE + pads would have been way more than $400.
                        Much wow
                        I hate 4 doors

Comment

How about the glove box lock?

Comment

Originally posted by rcsoundn1 View Post
                            How about the glove box lock?
                            same way. just go to BMW and get it cut for you.
                            Much wow
                            I hate 4 doors

Comment

We'll I know live 120 miles from my dad's house, have no real job, and a mostly complete car.

So, there just hasn’t been a lot to do update on. Over the past 2 months I've lightly rebuilt an eta engine only to have it fail due to not being pressure tested like I asked the owner to do. So, that ate 3-4 weekends. I've done a few water pump timing belt jobs, diff seals and swap with drive shaft refresh last weekend and a few other odd end jobs for local guys. Building this car has taught me so much. There are so many intricacies that get over looked on most normal e30s and having to replace and rebuild everything from memory has taught me a valuable life lesson. Do everything yourself because someone else will just mess it up.

After swapping in the wilwoods I took my car to a local German car show and got nailed on the judging and that pissed me off a lot. People these days have no taste! Too stock looking just doesn’t fly in the Instgram world type judging.

Back to the subject.

My right control car ball joint started to give out so I bought M3 rubber CABs and new control arms and dropped those in. Ahhhhh no more vibration and odd shifting in corners.

After the brake swap I felt that a new master cylinder was a must. So I swapped it for the 25mm e32 one. Overall I really like it. It does feel liking you are stomping on a brick when the race pads are cold but it's really not bad to drive. No worse than the lack of power steering. which I'll do next when I install an e36 rack.

Here are the masters side by side.

I did take the e30 on a 300 mile joy ride a few weeks ago, up to the sierras. I need more power above 6000 feet. I kept having to grab 4th to accelerate.
                              Here are the shots from the trip:

Lake Alpine, CA by Eric Berger, on Flickr

Galaxy by Eric Berger, on Flickr
                              Much wow
                              I hate 4 doors

Comment

Bro, fuck those judges, whoever they are. Your car is simply BOSS! Much respect!

Comment

Working...
                                X