Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drop Hats (Yay or Nay) Need More Infos - CONCLUSION

UPDATE/CONCLUSION PG 2

I've read lots of conflicting info on doing drop hats. Normally I'd skip them and do a spring/strut setup to my liking but on this particular car I want to keep stock ride and don't care as much about handling.

The issue: Just did struts (monroe sensatracks) and mounts on my 92 Alpine vert... and with my 16's in the front there is just way too much gap. The rear is perfect on stock suspension stuff thought I am going to do the mounts and shocks later this year also with monroe and new mounts. This car is a cruiser only... never going to see track use or even spirited driving really.

I have read of "binding" issues with the steering when using drop hats. Some say this is when you don't use the compliance washers... why would you not use the compliance washers? I'd use everything that was supposed to be there except use the drop hats instead of the factory ones. Is there any risk of binding when doing this? My wife drives this car as much (or more) than I do and want nothing to do with worrying about steering locking or something.

So give me your experience and opinions on this as drop hats would give me the perfect minor drop in front without changing the ride characteristics. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Schnitzer318is; 09-21-2018, 11:23 AM.
    "A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality."
    -----------------------------------------
    91 318is Turbo Sold
    87 325 Daily driver Sold
    06 4.8is X5
    06 Mtec X3
    05 4.4i X5 Sold
    92 325ic Sold & Re-purchased
    90 325i Sold
    97 328is Sold
    01 323ci Sold
    92 325i Sold
    83 528e Totaled
    98 328i Sold
    93 325i Sold

No one has experience with these? Am holding off ordering them until getting more info from users of the product. I'll shoot Garagistic a PM about them as well since they sell them... again thanks for any info people.
    "A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality."
    91 318is Turbo Sold
    87 325 Daily driver Sold
    06 4.8is X5
    06 Mtec X3
    05 4.4i X5 Sold
    90 325i Sold
    97 328is Sold
    01 323ci Sold
    92 325i Sold
    83 528e Totaled
    98 328i Sold
    93 325i Sold

Comment

I have the e90 top hat and I have no issue. There will be binding if the washer under the top mount is missing. For the price, It is not worth it in my opinion. I found my at the junk yard for $13 that's why I bought it. Don't waste your money on the drop hat.
      Last edited by mr.vang; 02-03-2015, 08:16 AM.
      Bought parts from me before? leave your feedback here

Comment

Bumping this up as I to am in the same boat. Just want a slight front drop to fill the well a bit. How much drop did you get from the hats?
        Last edited by rcsoundn1; 02-03-2015, 08:52 AM.

Comment

Ive used them on 2 e30s so far. Correct washers and good condition bearing and you should not have problems. I have the 15mm hats and they give me just the right amount of drop for me.

COTM

Comment

Originally posted by mr.vang View Post
            There will be binding if the washer under the top mount is missing.
            QFT

Originally posted by N2MYE30 View Post
            Correct washers and good condition bearing and you should not have problems.
            And again.
            Originally posted by kronus
            would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Thanks all... will go ahead and order them then.

N2MYE30... your vert looks so nice. Is that cirrus? And are the hats installed on it in that shot?
              91 318is Turbo Sold
              87 325 Daily driver Sold
              06 4.8is X5
              06 Mtec X3
              05 4.4i X5 Sold
              90 325i Sold
              97 328is Sold
              01 323ci Sold
              92 325i Sold
              83 528e Totaled
              98 328i Sold
              93 325i Sold

Comment

Thanks, it Glacier Metallic. I don't remember if they were installed in that pic. Here are the 2 times they have been installed on mine. Both cars have coupe H&R sport springs.

COTM

Comment

Thanks again. Good looking vehicles. Lower than I will be since I am on stock suspension, I just wanted to even out the front to rear gap. On the late models the front looks so high compared to the rear from the factory.

Edit: Since these are a minor drop... do you think I'd have any issues with suspension travel on stock replacement type struts (Monroe Sensatracks)? Would I risk reaching the bottom of the strut travel? I'm guessing it would be okay, but thought I'd ask since that just popped into my head.
                  91 318is Turbo Sold
                  87 325 Daily driver Sold
                  06 4.8is X5
                  06 Mtec X3
                  05 4.4i X5 Sold
                  90 325i Sold
                  97 328is Sold
                  01 323ci Sold
                  92 325i Sold
                  83 528e Totaled
                  98 328i Sold
                  93 325i Sold

Comment

You will be fine. It's just a minor drop and you won't notice any performance difference.

COTM

Comment

Drop hats are pointless IMO. 15mm is nothing (~1/2") and is unnoticeable IMO.

Honestly, cutting a coil or two off your stock springs would likely give you what you want. Either that or go with a pair of E30 M3 springs.

Comment

Originally posted by N2MYE30 View Post
                        You will be fine. It's just a minor drop and you won't notice any performance difference.
                        Thanks for the input. Ordering a set.

Originally posted by NitroRustlerDriver View Post
                        Drop hats are pointless IMO. 15mm is nothing (~1/2") and is unnoticeable IMO.

Honestly, cutting a coil or two off your stock springs would likely give you what you want. Either that or go with a pair of E30 M3 springs.
                        Also thanks for the input, but I disagree. 1/2" can make all the difference to the right eye, which in this case is mine... they are so cheap it's worth a shot at any rate.

Couple that with the fact that I just replaced with OE style replacement struts that wouldn't handle a real drop... and this is probably a good use case scenario for them. I agree that 95% of the time these are not what people will be after... but in this case, I think they will fit the bill.
                        91 318is Turbo Sold
                        87 325 Daily driver Sold
                        06 4.8is X5
                        06 Mtec X3
                        05 4.4i X5 Sold
                        90 325i Sold
                        97 328is Sold
                        01 323ci Sold
                        92 325i Sold
                        83 528e Totaled
                        98 328i Sold
                        93 325i Sold

Comment

Take before and after pics and post them please. As well as what you order, P/N maybe? Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Schnitzer318is View Post
                            Edit: Since these are a minor drop... do you think I'd have any issues with suspension travel on stock replacement type struts (Monroe Sensatracks)? Would I risk reaching the bottom of the strut travel? I'm guessing it would be okay, but thought I'd ask since that just popped into my head.
                            I have them on my 89 325I and have no issues. The suspension travel on the struts will not change with drop hats. It changes how the strut assembly is located on the strut tower, does not limit the travel as a shorter spring would.
                            sigpic
                            Steve Corbett
                            1983 528E Scrapped
                            1983 528E Sold
                            1984 745I
                            1984 325E - Sold
                            1989 325I Bronzit-Sold
                            1989 325I Zinno
                            1988 635CSI

Comment

Originally posted by rcsoundn1 View Post
                              Take before and after pics and post them please. As well as what you order, P/N maybe? Thanks!
                              Will do.

Originally posted by Steve Corbett View Post
                              I have them on my 89 325I and have no issues. The suspension travel on the struts will not change with drop hats. It changes how the strut assembly is located on the strut tower, does not limit the travel as a shorter spring would.
                              Thanks for the info. I have never done them before so am not familiar with their function.
                              91 318is Turbo Sold
                              87 325 Daily driver Sold
                              06 4.8is X5
                              06 Mtec X3
                              05 4.4i X5 Sold
                              90 325i Sold
                              97 328is Sold
                              01 323ci Sold
                              92 325i Sold
                              83 528e Totaled