Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newb to E30s... Have Koni Adjust/H&R Race Springs... Questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newb to E30s... Have Koni Adjust/H&R Race Springs... Questions...

So, here is what I have currently...

1) Koni Adjust front and rear
    2) H&R Race springs

I am going to get a full poly kit to replace everything.

My questions:

1) What else should I get? Should I simply get the stock shock mounts or do something else?

2) Top hats. Educate me as there are a ton of threads on this, but I find some do, some don't, some modify them, etc. E90, what is best?
    3) To 100% complete the refresh on the suspension, what is the laundry list of what I should get knowing what I am using, what I am doing in terms of poly stuff.

I will be dailying this with maybe a once in a while Auto-X. That's not the primary intention.

I just want to get everything at once, install and drive. I don't want to get into this, need parts, order, wait, install, drive.

We've been VW/Audi peeps a long while and this is my first E30. I want to know what I need to complete the job no matter if stock, modified or aftermarket. Top to bottom front and rear...

1985 E30 sedan for reference.

No input? Just use the stock top mounts?

Comment

I would definitely replace the shock mounts on all 4 corners. For the fronts, I would recommend Sachs OE replacement mounts. I used Febi and didn't like them. You can also get camber plates instead if you want extra adjustment.

For the rear, you can buy the "lifetime" mounts...

Also, get some reinforcement plates that go on top such as these...
      BMW REAR SHOCK REINFORCEMENT KIT BMW sheet metal at the top of the rear shock towers in E30, E36, and E46 BMW cars is a well-known weak point. The metal tends to tear over time, especially if stiffer shocks are used. This is really cheap insurance to not need to repair shock mounts in the future which is known to be

For bushings, its really your call on what you want there. There are several vendors that make a complete set of poly bushings. For the front you can get offset (m3 style) control arm bushings for extra camber and caster.

E90 top hats or drop hats are only for lowering the front another .5" or so. They do nothing to increase performance.
      '90 325i - 5 speed coupe
      '05 330ci 6MT ZHP

Comment

1. For a daily driver, stock rubber strut & shock mounts will do just fine. Just get the reinforcement plates for the rear. If you want camber adjustment, stock front strut mounts can be substituted for a camber plate.

If you haven't done so already, replace the control arms, control arm bushings (offset M3 ones will gain the benefit of added caster), tie rods and/or swap the rack for an e36 unit if you haven't done so already (still one of the best upgrades that you'll feel every time you drive the car).

2. The e90 drophats are popular for lowering the car another 1/2 inch with conventional springs. I suppose this is a matter of personal choice. Since H&R Race springs sit fairly low as-is, may be worthwhile to get a skid plate first to protect the oil pan.

3. To refresh the suspension completely, (in addition to the stuff mentioned earlier), replace the sway bar links and bushings if in poor shape, rear subframe bushings, and rear trailing arm bushings. If you're doing the rear subframe, it's also a good time to do the brake lines as well whether rubber or stainless lines.

Poly is easier to install, but fresh factory rubber makes for a nice driving car without any NVH issues. Once again, up to your personal preferences. On my car I only put soft poly in the subframe bushings and diff ear mount, with new rubber elsewhere, but that's because the roads I drive on are in poor shape.

Hopefully this helps.

Comment

The only thing I'd add to mtech325s sound advice is that I had e90 drop hats on my cabrio with Konis and hr sport spring (so not as low as race) and my front mud flaps dragged on the ground so I pulled them. They are also a mere 3/8" drop so I wouldn't go out of my way to install them
          Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
          Alice the Time Capsule
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
          87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

You all rock!! Great info and guidance. Thank you!

Comment

Working...
            X