No announcement yet.

Career at a dealership?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steve, try watching the VIN Wiki videos on youtube. They might not be exactly what you asked for, but there are a few stories that give some insight into the trade and the ups and downs.
    If not helpful, at least it's entertaining.

Comment

Originally posted by cory58 View Post
      Sorry to force you into your safe space. I guess the disclaimer in the first sentence was not enough for you.
      lol okay buddy
      Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

E30 Wagen....I don't see how you can survive making $13 hour and commuting 80 minutes daily.

The Washington Post ran an interesting article a week ago titled "How the US Economy turned 6 good jobs into bad ones". The section on motor vehicles and parts dealers is relevant to what you are now considering.

On the flip side, there are growth industries, for example healthcare.

Hope this helps.

Comment

I work in the parts department at a large dealer selling mostly to wholesale customers (body shops, repair shops). I make quite a good living, work regular hours and don't have too much stress or pressure. If you know cars, parts and people, it is an avenue to look into.
          1989 325i Alpine s52 coupe
          2003 540i M-Sport 6 speed
          2003 X5 3.0

Comment

Originally posted by tinoe30 View Post
            E30 Wagen....I don't see how you can survive making $13 hour and commuting 80 minutes daily.

The Washington Post ran an interesting article a week ago titled "How the US Economy turned 6 good jobs into bad ones". The section on motor vehicles and parts dealers is relevant to what you are now considering.

On the flip side, there are growth industries, for example healthcare.

Hope this helps.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...=.d74f244b3c6e
            Yeah, my living costs are low enough so $13/hour is doable but not when I'm spending $200 a month on gas. They never got back to me anyway.

I just hate feeling limited by a need to work in a relatively quiet environment, and having weak verbal interpersonal skills. The struggle to make a good first impression has ruined a few key job interviews.
            My Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by Powling View Post
              Any advice for someone that (might) be transitioning into a sales role with a large classic car dealer / restorer, that also has no experience with auto sales in the past?

The dealer in question values people that are willing to learn and have drive more than if I have 15 years experience and am miserable to be around.
              I have never done this job exactly, but I have sold lots and lots of used cars. when I was in college, I used to be a part time commission sales guy in a camera store in Kalamazoo, Mi. it was called Norman camera if any of you are local. I don't in any way wish to toot my horn, but as a guy working 20-25 hours a week i was always the #2 or #3 sales person every month. this is taking into account there were about 8 to 10 full time guys and another 5 or 6 part time slime.

this is what I learned about sales:

#1) listen to the customers needs. shut the fuck up and ask them what they are interested in, what they want, and what their goals are. make suggestions based on these responses and not on your own bias.

#2) come across as being honest and put off the aura that you are more interested in fulfilling the customer's need rather than putting commission in your pocket. if the customer is interested in a piece of shit, diplomatically suggest a better option even if it means your paycheck will be much less.

#3) be patient. let the customer make up his/her own mind. while they are thinking about it, go work another customer and hopefully close 2 or 3 sales at the same time.

#4) be extremely diplomatic and likable. the customer will most likely purchase from you if they like you-even if they were on the fence before they walked in the door. in the end, sales(commission sales) is really about the customer liking you when it comes to tipping the scales one way or the other.

#5) know your product in and out. when the customer has questions, be able to solidly answer them. my biggest limitation at the camera store was that I knew nothing about video cameras at the time. rather than Monkey fuck or bullshit my way through a sale, I would refer the customer to an associate that I trusted. they got the commission and I was ok with that. had I viewed the job as something more than just a temporary distraction for a few extra dollars during college, I would have taken the time to study this aspect in and out. as it was, I figured I was only going to be there for a few months/less than a year so I never bothered to take the time to learn. if you are planning to make a career of this, an outlook like mine would be completely unacceptable.

#6). dress for success. wear nice clothes to work every day. clean and pressed button down shirts with dress pants at a very minimum. even it isn't mandatory, strongly consider wearing a tie every day. (on this note, watch youtube and learn some fancy tie knots. everyone will ask you about it and it is a fantastic conversation starter.) be clean cut. no facial hair(or very trim) and a tight hair cut. look and act professional as fuck. polish your shoes! smell pleasant. no offensive strong colognes. mild soapy aromas are best. if you have bad breath, eat a lot of mints and take a toothbrush to work and brush often. my son and I were both restaurant servers for a time in college. Both of us noted that when we were clean cut and professional looking, our tips were noticeably higher.

hey....I should probably charge money for this shit.......
              Last edited by flyboyx; 09-12-2018, 09:10 PM.
              sigpic
              Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
              92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
              88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
              88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
              87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
              12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Originally posted by E30 Wagen View Post
                I just hate feeling limited by a need to work in a relatively quiet environment, and having weak verbal interpersonal skills. The struggle to make a good first impression has ruined a few key job interviews.
                wow. it probably took a lot for you to be able to admit this to yourself and to us.

out of curiosity, what type of social environments are you most comfortable in?

I know people say this all the time but it is really just best to be yourself. perhaps just taking a breath before you speak or when someone asks you a question, maybe think about it for a couple seconds before responding.

also, perhaps you worry too much about trying to say what the listener wants to hear? maybe try not to think about that. everyone (even brad Pitt) has their own insecurities. I am pretty sure you can work through this with a little practice and desire.

I will note that when you write your thoughts out on the forum here you sound reasonably intelligent and well spoken. I'm pretty sure there is a way to transfer this to a more social environment.

I really hope you don't mind me saying this and I don't in any way mean to embarrass you..... I guess I have gotten the impression over the years that you are somewhat of a loner that seems to suffer from depression. I (and others) really have tried for years to reach out and offer some sort of assistance to you. hopefully one day soon you will allow help. I don't mean this in any sort of religious obligation kind of way. its more like a fellow human being trying to ease the pain and suffering of another human being.

you did post this thread right? I kind of feel like you are reaching out a bit in your own way? that is a step.....
                Last edited by flyboyx; 09-12-2018, 09:25 PM.
                sigpic
                Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Working...
                X