Pilot bearing question s52/g260

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pilot bearing question s52/g260

Anybody know what is needed aside from the m20 pilot bearing when mating the s52 with a g260?

The felt ring, cover cap and the cup shown on the m20 flywheel diagram. Are these needed in an s52 crank? The s52 flywheel diagram shows just the bearing. I seem to recall early models needing that felt ring and the caps. The felt ring is NLA. I also recall the bearing becoming a sealed unit so that the cover and cup were not needed anymore.

Also, what is the best way to remove an old pilot bearing?
    sigpic
    Gun control means using both hands
    Sex, Drugs, Rock 'n roll. Pick two.

Beat way to remove ia a pilot bearing puller.

Second best, and surprisingly works quite well, find a bolt that fits nice and snug in the bearing hole. Then fill the hole with grease, completely fill it as much as you can get. Then put the bolt in and hit it with hammer. Keep adding.more grease and keep hitting. It does work quite well.

Modern sealed pilot bearing doesnt need the felt thing. Twas just the old non sealed ones that needed that. Just chuck the bearing in when you get the old one out.

Comment

I've never used the dust cover on a new style, sealed bearing. FWIW
      '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Newer cars with the sealed bearing don't use the felt/cap. Don't worry about it if you're using a sealed bearing.

Honestly for removal, the bread trick works well. Same as the grease trick above, just using bread instead. It just ends up making less mess.
        Originally posted by priapism
        My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
        Originally posted by shameson
        Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Thank you guys. Surprisingly every crank I have installed a pilot bearing into have already had the bearing out.

I will grab a proper bearing puller.

As far as installing the bearing, do I press it in via the outer race or should it slide in? It has been years since I last installed one and I just do not recall.
          sigpic
          Gun control means using both hands
          Sex, Drugs, Rock 'n roll. Pick two.

Comment

Find a socket about the same size as outer race of bearing and juat tap it in. Wont slide in but it should not take much to tap it in with a hammer.

Comment

Working...
            X