Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cluster Repair/Interchangability

Hey
    Did a bit of research but not a whole lot has come up in terms of the info I'm looking for.
    I currently have two clusters I'm looking to possibly merge into one. One is a Motometer(MPH)from 325is, the other is a VDO(KMH) 318is.
    Currently the VDO cluster only has the gas gauge and temp gauge functional.
    The Motometer is fully functional minus ODO gears.
    My car is a US car but with me being in Canada I want to have the KMH Speedo.

What I'm looking to do is make one working KMH cluster out of the two.
    Questions:
    1. Am I able to remove the KMH overlay from one and put it on the face of the other? Or do I have to switch the whole Speedo/ODO over?
    2: Gas gauges.. interchangeable between the two?
    3. Am I better soldering in new batteries in the VDO to see if I can make it 100% functional?

Looking for some input before I start tearing either of them apart!
    Cheers

I've taken my apart before but I don't recall if the original overlay can be lifted.

1) If your are unable to lift the overlay, you could buy one possibly and put it on top.
    2) Not sure
    3) Definitely a good idea to get new batts and solder them

I'd suggest hitting up http://www.bavrest.com/index.html for a definitive answer.

Comment

I think there are two little screws that hold the face on. I think

Comment

Cluster

Superj is right, there are two screws on the front of each guage but be very careful pulling up the needles they break real easy. I just changed the black overlay with a white one. Good luck!!

Comment

Awesome thanks for the replies here!
          A follow up question would be with regards to odometer gears..
          Lets say I was to fix my Motometer (MPH) cluster... Could I switch the gears with KMH gears and have them turn at the correct timing or are the internals different when it comes to that?

Comment

Working...
          X