Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My LC-1 Installation Guide

NOTE:
    I no longer recommend the use of the Innovate LC-1/2 product. It's a long story, but I don't trust the accuracy or quality of the product anymore after using one for many years. It could just be my experience since MANY people run these and seem to be fine, so don't take my opinion as absolute truth.

OK, I finally condensed years of messing around with one of these wide band sensor setups into a few images. There is really ONE right way to install & configure this thing, and a large number of wrong ways (many of which I discovered over the years lol).

OK, so first you need to physically install the thing. The cable that comes with the Bosch LSU4.2 sensor is a bit short, and the best place I have found for the controller is under the battery tray with zip ties. I stuck them through the various screw holes & holes where the old O2 sensor connector clipped (it will either be cut-off or moved).

OK, so here is the stock wiring that is related to the O2 sensor in the 318iS.

To wire in the LC-1, you will have to do a fair amount of cutting & splicing. All of the needed connections are shown in the second diagram. I opted to run the LC-1 cable into the glove box, as well as the remnants of the stock O2 sensor harness. All connections were made with fully insulated spade connectors, and while you CAN use butt crimps, I would advise the use of something that you can easily service/disconnect.

The installation of the LED and push-button is optional. I did it because I want to be able to re-calibrate the sensor easily and be able to see the device's status. I did this by getting a momentary push button, LED and resistor at Radio Shack, mounting them in some holes that I drilled in the plastic ECU cover in the glove box, and soldering them together.

Please note that the heater ground from the LC-1 is NOT, and SHOULD NOT be grounded by the ECU. I tried this originally and it caused a 100mV DC offset at the ground which really screwed things up. Buy a 1/4" ring terminal and run the heater ground to the hood latch bracket, or some other chassis ground if you prefer. Just don't use the lug where the ECU is grounded. The analog ground MUST be connected to both the stock O2 sensor ground AND the ECU's O2 signal ground lines. This is critical.

As far as jumping the O2 sensor relay goes, that is not optional either. The ECU cuts power to the O2 sensor under full throttle, which isn't good for the sensor, and a problem if you plan to actually USE it! The easy way to do it is to just jump the wires by cutting them and joining them with a butt splice or insulated spade connectors. There is a better way though. Bust open the relay and modify it! It's clean, and you won't get any check engine lights. I sealed the cover back on with some plain old super glue. If you are bad with a soldering iron, then just cut & splice the wires externally.

Anyway, with it all wired in you will need to calibrate it. I recommend doing this with the sensor not installed in the exhaust yet. If it is, you can unplug the fuel injectors, press the gas pedal all the way down and run the starter for 5-10 seconds to get fresh air into the system.

With it wired the way that it is, the LC-1 is not powered when the key is in the accessory position (and for good reason). Use a piece of wire to jump Fuse 10 to the slot for terminal 87 of the O2 sensor relay, put the car in accessory mode and run the calibration. When done, remove the wire & put the relay back. You do not want to do this with the car running because a) the sensor will be in exhaust gas, and b) the LC-1 stops its output when being programmed, which makes the ECU angry.

The last order of business is setting up the output. If you are using this with a stock ECU, you will need to make adjustments. The thing comes programmed as follows:

This won't work well with the Motronic. The Motronic expects a ~100mV - ~900mV input from the sensor, and will toss a CEL if it sees too high of a voltage. Set up the LC-1 so that it matches the shot below.

That's it. It is a lot of work to install one properly, I won't lie. There are tougher projects out there, but this one involves a very critical part of the engine controls and MUST be done properly. If it isn't, you will get bad mileage, reduced power and CELs.
    Last edited by bmwman91; 07-21-2014, 11:40 AM.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

I had to disable lambda control in the motrinic by removing the pin with my alpha n setup. In addition it is critical that you free air calibrate the sensor before first use and every 4-6 months to keep it calibrated. I would definitely install the reset button and led so u can see what's going on. Finally, get clean independent grounds. Lots of people say the lc1 doesn't work well , etc but its the most affordable wb sensor kit out there and it gets the job done. The controller is small and fits anywhere. I recommend getting the bundle with the gauge for $150. U can't beat it.
    Last edited by reelizmpro; 05-09-2012, 09:21 PM.
    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Yeah, calibration is super important. It is best to pull the sensor from the downpipe, but most people are too lazy lol. If installed properly, I think that that the LC-1 is the best value out there. Once I got everything properly set up, the car was dead-on at 14.7AFR on average (+/- 0.4 or so, the usual). It has been immensely helpful in getting my MAF conversion dialed in.

Comment

Damn wicked write-up.

Now I saw you mention this sensor before and I think it goes for a little under 60$ on amazon which is actually cheaper than the stock O2 sensor.

So, if I read everything correctly, you're saying that if you want to use this O2 sensor, you have to do the above for it to work correctly?
        Different strokes for different folks.

Comment

Originally posted by Threehz View Post
          Damn wicked write-up.

Now I saw you mention this sensor before and I think it goes for a little under 60$ on amazon which is actually cheaper than the stock O2 sensor.

So, if I read everything correctly, you're saying that if you want to use this O2 sensor, you have to do the above for it to work correctly?
          Yup. There is no possible way to just cut wires & hook a wide band sensor up to a system designed for a narrow band sensor. You need a wide band controller.

Comment

you should also reprogram the error and warmup states so it reads stoich, instead of the defaults which read full rich. I think it ends up being around .45mv.

calibration - unless you have a turbo or some system that flows a ton of fuel, I really don't think you have to calibrate every 4-6 months. I've had two LC-1s over the last 5 years, and I've never had to recalibrate them that often - should be good for ~20,000 miles or more, if your tune is good. if you're pig rich and cover the sensor in soot, well...

also, you can just plug it into the stock O2 sensor connector (4 pins), rather than splicing wires.

the relay mod is a nice idea - you could also simply ground it. I don't know about you, but I don't normally sit with the ignition switch turned on for long periods of time - and it would be useful for calibration and adjustments.

Another alternative would be to use the FP relay to activate it - basically wire pin 85 of your O2 relay to pin 85 of the FP relay. then it would only be on when the engine was running, and you wouldn't have to use a custom relay. This is how I wire up standalones that don't usually have a dedicated O2 relay activation pin.
            Last edited by nando; 05-10-2012, 06:40 AM.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Excellent write up!

Comment

Excellent writeup. A lot of this stuff i have been telling people for a while, but I wasnt aware of the full scope of it. Probably cause i am cheap and just have a AEM wideband as a secondary sensor.
                CHEAP REBUILT INJECTORS

Need Quality Brakes? BimmerBrakes has it!
                For anything Else go with BluntTech!

Comment

Huge thanks for the info. I'm planning on installing mine in the next couple of days as part of my 24v install.
                  I don't always wreck cars, but when I do I wreck them into trees.

91' 318is S50 swap - The Black Widow

Comment

Would someone mind elaborating on making it more plug n' play via plugging it into the stock O2 sensor plug? Unless someone gives a good reason not to do it this way its how i'd like to go.

I'm just not a wiring guru.

Originally posted by nando View Post
                    you should also reprogram the error and warmup states so it reads stoich, instead of the defaults which read full rich. I think it ends up being around .45mv.

calibration - unless you have a turbo or some system that flows a ton of fuel, I really don't think you have to calibrate every 4-6 months. I've had two LC-1s over the last 5 years, and I've never had to recalibrate them that often - should be good for ~20,000 miles or more, if your tune is good. if you're pig rich and cover the sensor in soot, well...

also, you can just plug it into the stock O2 sensor connector (4 pins), rather than splicing wires.

the relay mod is a nice idea - you could also simply ground it. I don't know about you, but I don't normally sit with the ignition switch turned on for long periods of time - and it would be useful for calibration and adjustments.

Another alternative would be to use the FP relay to activate it - basically wire pin 85 of your O2 relay to pin 85 of the FP relay. then it would only be on when the engine was running, and you wouldn't have to use a custom relay. This is how I wire up standalones that don't usually have a dedicated O2 relay activation pin.
                    I don't always wreck cars, but when I do I wreck them into trees.

91' 318is S50 swap - The Black Widow

Comment

So this write up is for those who want to wire the lc1 sensor as the primary sensor? Instead of the factory sensor?

If i buy the kit of ebay that includes sensor, gauge, controller and software, do i have to do all this? Or just install it as a secondary sensor and call it a day?

One of the best threads you will ever read
                      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=221813

Nice trailer of my e30
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTjtG...e_gdata_player

If i sold you something please leave feedback here
                      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=217142

Comment

you need the controller (it comes with software anyway). the gauge is optional.
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by lbreevesii View Post
                          Would someone mind elaborating on making it more plug n' play via plugging it into the stock O2 sensor plug? Unless someone gives a good reason not to do it this way its how i'd like to go.

I'm just not a wiring guru.

you still probably want to run the O2 relay off the FP relay (if it's not that way from the factory), and you definitely want to reprogram the error and warmup states.
                          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

anyone have a write up for a pre 87 wiring harness.

Just out trying to build some boost !!
                            Stroked and blown 328i @ 15psi

Comment

if it's an M20B25 harness they're the same.
                              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                              X