M42 Maybe Engine Noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M42 Maybe Engine Noise

can't tell what this noise is but I'm pretty sure it's engine related because it happens with or without the clutch.

sort of sounds like a rattling/hum/drumming? noise. all timing components are new so unless I somehow have that messed up I can't figure this one out. it happens in the low rpm range some when taking off from a stop and then like the video way up high in the rpms. really loud when I ring it out then come off the throttle but then engine doesn't feel like it's down on power from what I can tell

this is the best I can really capture it since I can't hear it over normal engine noise while parked.

any ideas?

I hear what sounds like a belt rubbing, so I'd start by looking at the v-belts.

Are you fairly confident that the sound is coming from the engine and not the transmission?

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
      I hear what sounds like a belt rubbing, so I'd start by looking at the v-belts.

Are you fairly confident that the sound is coming from the engine and not the transmission?
      i replaced the v-belt a couple months ago, i dont recall if the noise come with it or not, i have no a/c or p/s so only has the one belt.

i dont THINK its the transmission since i can hear the noise without being in motion and just revving the motor. like i said its hard to hear outside standing over the engine due to just general engine noise being so loud

Comment

Maybe have a look along the driveline underneath. Check the usual suspects and give everything a decent shake for sloppyness, rips and tears etc. GL! :)

Comment

for anyone that searches, timing was slightly off and fixing that helped the noise but didnt solve it completely. swapped engine mounts and now its perfect!

Comment

Working...
          X