Temp gauge VDO vs MOTOMETER

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Temp gauge VDO vs MOTOMETER

So recently was trying to replace my odometer gears, as one would when you own an e30. I got an 86 325, in the process of taking apart the cluster to get to the gears, I broke the needle for the temp gauge. Now I'm just wondering if you guys know if it's possible to solder the needle back on? or if i just need to straight up replace it. If I do need to replace it, does it have to be a MOTOMETER type gauge, or can I use a VDO one? I have a MOTOMETER cluster btw, which is kinda hard to find parts for. Hope you guys can help a brotha out!

I think 86 and later clusters are all the same (only early ones are the different) - and the VDO and Motometer clusters are interchangeable, you can use a gauge from either one.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
      I think 86 and later clusters are all the same (only early ones are the different) - and the VDO and Motometer clusters are interchangeable, you can use a gauge from either one.
      oh man that's good news! Thanks so much, now I don't have to scour the web for my exact parts.

Comment

you broke it off how? the metal is just a thin piece of aluminum with tiny tabs under that grab the plastic on the face of the gage. you broke that plastic piece off?

Comment

Originally posted by superj View Post
          you broke it off how? the metal is just a thin piece of aluminum with tiny tabs under that grab the plastic on the face of the gage. you broke that plastic piece off?
          well I broke the needle away from the gauge itself
          Attached Files

Comment

yeah that gauge is broken.

I found out a while back that earlier E36 clusters are basically the same as the E30s inside, since something similar to that happened to me - I think I have E36 motors driving my tach and econometer actually. You could fix it but it's a pain in the ass - I only did it because I already had a broken E36 cluster I was using for parts..
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
            X