Front Axle Woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front Axle Woes

Does anyone have a front, left axle (89 325ix)?
    Alternatively, does anyone know if the axles are serviceable? Left axle has stripped threads and am wondering if right outer (from donor axle) can be used to replace it?
    Thanks.

If you're talking about the cv joints I would assume they are interchangeable. I could be completely wrong though. Have you looked over real oem to compare part numbers on the outer joints for left and right?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    clutchCTRL!
    Move with a purpose.
    - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
    - 1976 2002 SlickTop/2.7i M20/G260
    - 2000 323i AT
    2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

Comment

Originally posted by kid325e View Post
      If you're talking about the cv joints I would assume they are interchangeable. I could be completely wrong though. Have you looked over real oem to compare part numbers on the outer joints for left and right?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      Thanks for your response. I have not cross referenced oem part #s, although I have measured the outers and they appear identical.
      Is there an online source for that info?
      Thanks again.

Comment

the outter CVs & main shafts are exchangeable from left to right, the inner CVs are not. They are serviceable but you can't really build them yourself (other than replacing boots) and you can't get parts for them from BMW (they only sell whole axles).

How did the threads get stripped?

your choices are to find a used CV shaft and swap the outter joints for one with good threads, send it to a rebuilder and hope they have extra parts in stock, buy a used axle and just install it as-is, or buy a brand new one from BMW (which I doubt anyone can afford these days).
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
          your choices are to find a used CV shaft and swap the outter joints for one with good threads, send it to a rebuilder and hope they have extra parts in stock, buy a used axle and just install it as-is, or buy a brand new one from BMW (which I doubt anyone can afford these days).
          Or, maybe get an M22x1.5 die for about $50 and try to repair the threads. Or take it to a machine shop that could do it.
          Dave
          '91 325iX

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions people.
            - Yes, new axles (complete) are stupid expensive, which sucks given you can get refurbished axles for everything else for under $100.
            - I couldn't find a used left front axle, so I have a used front right coming and hoping i can swap the outer cv joints over (looks like same part)...fingers crossed.
            - A previous mechanic or owner stripped the threads on the axle somehow. The nut was holding on, but only barely. They really did a number on the threads and I have been told by 2 sources that it's not salvageable.
            - Also needed a new front hub (don't ask) which are thankfully still available from BMW (not very cheap mind you). Would have gone used, but couldn't find those either.
            - Going to keep an eye out for a spare ix for future parts. Or maybe switch back to an Audi... Haha.

Comment

Bet the mechanic just started it on with a impact. Literally all techs do is use a impact sometimes.
              Build Thread
              https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=419655
              Parts Thread
              https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=408302

Comment

Originally posted by Chrisbike View Post
                Bet the mechanic just started it on with a impact. Literally all techs do is use a impact sometimes.
                Indeed

Comment

Just received 2nd-hand RT front axle and had outer cv swapped over to left axle. No problem at all. Should all go back together this week, ready for alignment.

Comment

Working...
                  X