No announcement yet.

91 318is Field Rat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much did you pay for the seat upholstery. I have been considering reupholstering my E21 Recaro's and I would not mind a price point if you don't mind sharing.
    How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

Originally posted by rzerob View Post
      How much did you pay for the seat upholstery. I have been considering reupholstering my E21 Recaro's and I would not mind a price point if you don't mind sharing.
      There is a few that are on ebay all sold by the same place. The set that I got was the most expensive since I got the embossed version. Including shipping it was $624.99. Recovering them took a little time, and if not for the seat back seam they would already be in the car. Also you will want to replace the lower elastic straps so the base doesn't sag anymore.

Here's a few links to the different options they have:

The least expensive option doesn't use German vinyl:

The next step up with German vinyl:

And finally German vinyl with the embossed centers:

Comment

Thanks. I was hoping for leather. I have done upholstery work before and have all the equipment. But finding a good seat replacement upholstery is another thing.
        How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

Originally posted by rzerob View Post
          Thanks. I was hoping for leather. I have done upholstery work before and have all the equipment. But finding a good seat replacement upholstery is another thing.
          They do leather ones for e30 sports, so I think you can convince them to make a leather set for the e21 Recaros.

Comment

Just got back in from a trip to Disney and Universal Studios. I'm wiped, but found my cheap Uro i model bumper lip and clips waiting for me. Before I took the trip I spent a few minutes pulling and pushing the bent valance somewhat back into shape in preparation, and it actually looks decent. Popped the new lip on and snapped a few pics.

Comment

Yesterday was a little toasty sitting in traffic, so it pushed me to dig out my a/c parts and see what I need to order. Everything is nice and gross, needing scrubbing and general cleaning, but I have what I need to get started, and spent the rest of the evening comparing prices on various parts. Originally I planned to just use the compressor I have even though it's r12, but decided to just get the newer 134a and replace everything. I also pulled out the power steering bits to start cleaning up. Once everything rolls in from the 3-4 vendors I should be good to get it all installed. That $500 should be well spent here in the next few months.

Edit: Every place I have tried to buy the r134a compressor from has cancelled. Looks like I'm sticking with the r12 for now, but that at least saves me $225!

Last edited by captain awesome; 04-13-2018, 09:43 AM.

Comment

Sunday Sunday Sunday! Finally got to my first autocross event of the season. It was friggin cold and windy. Overall the car did well, but I'm fighting some understeer. Could be me over taxing the tires though, so I won't rule that out yet. I got first in class in DSP, but I'm the only car in DSP so that didn't mean much. If I remember correctly I was keeping up with the cars in CAM-C if that's worth anything. I'll get final results later today or tomorrow.

One the biggest issues I had was my helmet to roof clearance. I still haven't finished up the Recaros, and they sit lower than the stock sport seats. I was having to crouch down and struggling to focus on the track ahead of me, so I feel like there was time to be made up with that alone. Another item I mentioned before was lack of power steering. There were some tighter turns that just made it difficult to input smooth direction, and with a power rack I think it would be beneficial. Screw the small weight penalty and tiny power loss that may bring, I just want to turn.

Comment

Looks like a fun day. Nice photos!

Comment

For some reason I just had to scratch that e46 itch. Unfortunately I think I picked the wrong car for that. I picked up this 2000 323ci that has a motor and 5 speed from a 328. After some assessment of the car, it needs more than I really wanted to mess with, but at this point not sure if I'm going to keep it or spend a $1000+ getting it up to my standards.

Brake rotors are wavy and shudder dramatically in a high speed stop. Stretched cheapo tires on super heavy scraped up rims, 5-10 footers for sure. New cheapo KYB rear shocks, yay! The front suspension threw me for a loop when I found 3 of the plastic shipping discs still wrapped around the driver side strut. Those have been there for the life of the car, 190k miles on this chassis! So many people drove this car around with no driver side suspension travel, wow. Anyway, the radiator shows signs of a small weep and the expansion tank looks like its about to kick rocks, so those are first on the list. Then brakes, then wheels and tires, then.......... so on and so on.

Looks cool in pics at least.

Comment

I'm in a pickle. M52 power is getting addicting, and switching back to the m42 is kinda lackluster now. Didn't expect that to happen, so it either will be m52 swap to the e30 or keep both separate and just appreciate them each for what they really are? Throttle response and the clutch engagement on the m52 lick balls though, so that will be something I need to look into. What to do, what to do.....

Comment

if you do go m52, an aluminum one would keep the front end nimble. IIRC, an alu m52 without a/c weighs about as much as a m42 with a/c. Could be off by a bit there but it's definitely something to think about.
                        1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Originally posted by wworm View Post
                          if you do go m52, an aluminum one would keep the front end nimble. IIRC, an alu m52 without a/c weighs about as much as a m42 with a/c. Could be off by a bit there but it's definitely something to think about.
                          This is an iron block, so nothing but weight gain to be had here. If I had my choice it would just be an m54.

Comment

We should have a M50 swap finished at the shop in the next few weeks(hopefully), if you can wait that long, you could at least test drive it and see how it feels to you. It might make your decision easier. I'll let you know when it is done. Also, got a E46 parts car if you keep it and need anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Dgerry View Post
                              We should have a M50 swap finished at the shop in the next few weeks(hopefully), if you can wait that long, you could at least test drive it and see how it feels to you. It might make your decision easier. I'll let you know when it is done. Also, got a E46 parts car if you keep it and need anything.
                              I knew I should have checked with you first. Just dropped $800 on new brakes, radiator, exp. tank, power steering stuff, pulleys, water pump, belts, etc. so I think this one will be a daily driver for the time being. Still need an electric fan though, this one was an automatic with a manual swap and I want to ditch the fan clutch. I know there's other stuff I need, but I'm trying to just focus on making it reliable first. Wheels and tires next if my wallet ever recovers.

Comment

Originally posted by captain awesome View Post
                                This is an iron block, so nothing but weight gain to be had here. If I had my choice it would just be an m54.
                                ahh wasnt aware you were thinking about using e46 as a donor.
                                1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Working...
                                X