No announcement yet.

Bronzit E30 - OBDII S52 shaved bay - weekend/autox toy - Journey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I made it! Took about a month I think, but just finished reading all 85 pages.
    This build is GOLD. Recently got into an e30 after coming over from Benz's and man, this just shows how well these cars can be done up. Great job Charlie. Lots of inspiration in here for future improvements.
    But it's been half a month since the last post, don't leave us hanging now! Need more Bronzit...

Comment

Originally posted by itskingsteelo View Post
      Damn Charlie, the ammount of detail and work ethic that you put into this thread/ your car just amazes me. Car is badass man. Keep up the good work!
      Thank you sir
      Originally posted by nd4spd13 View Post
      I made it! Took about a month I think, but just finished reading all 85 pages.
      This build is GOLD. Recently got into an e30 after coming over from Benz's and man, this just shows how well these cars can be done up. Great job Charlie. Lots of inspiration in here for future improvements.
      But it's been half a month since the last post, don't leave us hanging now! Need more Bronzit...
      Congratualtions! Haha, I need to go back and reread my own thread on of these days. I think I've forgotten more than I remember at this point.

In terms of updates, not much to report. I haven't really driven it much since the last autox. Went out for some canyons a couple weekends ago but that was it. I've been working on my e36 pretty much 100% of my free time. I have some cool e30 projects lined up but I'm punishing myself not allowing anymore e30 projects until the e36 is "finished".

The driver side window stopped going up and down I hear the relay click "on" but then immediately click "off" (I have an auto up/down module). Haven't had any time or interest to troubleshoot it yet. Does anyone have any advice?

Here are the photos I never uploaded from the last autox

Our paddock and pitting area

The red porsche is my buddy Gabe's new canyon/autox/track/fun car. This was his first event and it looked awesome out there. Coilovers and some suspension done on it, otherwise oem 70k mile car. The other e30 is another friend's, Sina, and has many similar mods as mine. S52, coilovers, full suspension upgrades, bbk, etc. it's a super clean car. We all had a blast and can't wait for the next event.

Since I've been driving the e30 to work occassionally, I wanted to put the old wheels on and get some better street tires so I don't waste r888 rubber. Got some general 205/50s mounted onto the klutch sl1s. Of course the fitment with the flares was off, so I also ordered a set of spacers and swapped the longer wheel studs off my e36 onto the e30 to fit them. Here are the before and afters...

Before

After

Before

After

Much better! Couldn't be seen driving around town with that awful wheel gap. Surprised no one caught me and posted up a photo to r3v facebook :p

Pulled an engine from a junkyard car (long story short - thought my m52 motor for the e36 had been slightly overbored... it wasn't and I didn't need this motor... ) and verified that you can fit a long block in the trunk of an e30 with sub box (had to remove the head though)

Lastly here's a shiny photo for you guys so you know I haven't been slacking. I really need to update my e36 thread some time.

'89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
      Shadetree30

Comment

very cool. Those fender flares look great, but i'm curious why you wouldn't just go with the IX flares? They are roughly the same size.

Comment

^Because they don't add any extra clearance or width. The ix flares are purely esthetic.
          My Garage
          2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
          1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
          1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
          Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
            very cool. Those fender flares look great, but i'm curious why you wouldn't just go with the IX flares? They are roughly the same size.
            Originally posted by stonea View Post
            ^Because they don't add any extra clearance or width. The ix flares are purely esthetic.
            ^this. I got at least an inch of width and especially in the rear got much more suspension travel
            Shadetree30

Comment

Ok. Thanks for the response. Makes sense.

Comment

link to e36 thread?
                1990 325is
                m52b28
                3.73lsd
                g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

Comment

Awesome progress!! What type of flares are those?

Comment

Originally posted by TeXJ View Post
                    link to e36 thread?
                    bimmerforums (original build - up to date somewhat) here

and a thread I started on r3v a while back (not up to date)here

Originally posted by stealthbeam View Post
                    Awesome progress!! What type of flares are those?
                    Thanks, KAmotors
                    Shadetree30

Comment

awesome thanks!
                      1990 325is
                      m52b28
                      3.73lsd
                      g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

Comment

So I parked my car on the street for one day and got this in return....

Yea I know it's filthy, that's why I pulled it into the driveway - to wash it.

Kinda hard to see from the photos but the leading edge of the hood is nicely creased and bent up. The whole hood got pushed a good inch out of alignment. The kidney grill is completely broken. The passenger headligt grill is cracked. The bumper is scratched/scuffed. And it looks like the valence was also pushed in. No note. Fucking people.

Yea, I walked up and down the street with a tape measure checking to see if anyone had the right height and profile rear bumper to do this. Probably a good thing I didn't find them. I was mad.

Luckily I was smart enough to put the car on full coverage a few months ago (though it's not agreed value...) Maybe the only upside here is that I'll probably get a proper color matching hood and bumper, maybe fenders too. Is it a stretch to think I could get the whole car painted since the "newness" of the front half of the car won't match the patina of the rear?
                        Shadetree30

Comment

Nooooo!!! :hitler:

You have the worst luck. California drivers must be worse than Atlanta drivers... Have you considered investing in a dash cam? I've been looking at them after some close calls recently.
                          '90 325i - 5 speed coupe
                          '05 330ci 6MT ZHP

Comment

Damn that sucks. Living in Seattle and going to school, I've had my wheels stolen, my car "love tapped", dog shit thrown on it, and the other night it got a healthy smattering of Chinese food. I fucking hate people too, feels bad man lol.
                            Hank Ahrens
                            1984 Alpine Coupe
                            1978 911sc

Comment

Originally posted by Codym42 View Post
                              Nooooo!!! :hitler:

You have the worst luck. California drivers must be worse than Atlanta drivers... Have you considered investing in a dash cam? I've been looking at them after some close calls recently.
                              I dunno if it would've helped since the car was parked, but maybe a motion sensitive alarm would've gone off. I have been considering a dash cam for my daily though (or wired up to swap around cars) - so many shitty CA drivers. I've had loads of close calls.
                              Originally posted by ahrensNW View Post
                              Damn that sucks. Living in Seattle and going to school, I've had my wheels stolen, my car "love tapped", dog shit thrown on it, and the other night it got a healthy smattering of Chinese food. I fucking hate people too, feels bad man lol.
                              That's ridiculous. My buddy living in Venice has had it worse though. Most recently someone keyed the entire side of his car (on two separate occasions inside of a week) and someone else regularly leaves an orange traffic cone on the hood of his other car
                              Shadetree30

Comment

Im so glad the I only have to street park the E30, and Im always trying to pick a spot where Im not sandwiched in. My neighbors are ok for the most part, but that stuff thats happened to Gabe is wild. Which car got keyed and which car gets the cone?

All things considered, it could be worse... maybe its time to upgrade to a carbonfiber hood! :devil:
                                Simon
                                Current Cars:
                                -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Working...
                                X