Chasing Fuel Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chasing Fuel Issues

Current issue: The car has been struggling to accelerate, it backfires occasionally, sputtering etc... I can barely get going from a dead stop. 0-40% throttle works OK, but anything more and the car feels like it's going to die. It will rev to 6k no problem, but as soon as I push the gas pedal (at any rpm) it feels like I let off the gas.

Background: The fuel pump went out about 1500 miles ago. I replaced it with a URO unit, which has been a bit noisy but worked fine. At the time, I didn't replace the o-ring between the fuel pump and gas tank. When topping off the car, gas would leak out this area. A few days ago I installed a new o-ring, which eliminated the leaking gas issue. However, after driving the car for 20 mins this new sputtering issue began. I figured there could be some crud in the fuel filter that was knocked loose, so I replaced the filter yesterday, but that didn't help. Any ideas??

The car: Only modification to the engine/fuel system is a Miller MAF. Otherwise it's just a stock M20.

TLDR: Replaced fuel pump and fuel filter, but the car is still sputtering and struggling to accelerate.

Is this an E or I car?

Anyways, Pull the pump out, maybe some shit got stuck around there.

Also, if its only hesitating initially when applying more throttle, it could be timing/spark related too.

But just double check all your fuel lines are free of any blockage
    Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
      Is this an E or I car?

Anyways, Pull the pump out, maybe some shit got stuck around there.

Also, if its only hesitating initially when applying more throttle, it could be timing/spark related too.

But just double check all your fuel lines are free of any blockage
      It's a 1990 325iX. Definitely could be spark related, but it would be awfully coincidental that I just messed with the fuel system. What's the easiest way to check for blockage in the fuel lines?

Comment

you can just blow some compressed air through them. Start from the fuel pump line that goes to the filter, its most likely going to happen there.

The best way to go about this is to get a fuel pressure test kit.
        Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Problem solved!

Checked the fuel pressure with a test kit and it was OK. Spark was also OK. Guess what that leaves? Air...

There was a leak where the ICV meets the manifold. A little sealant and she's good as new. Simple fixes are the best fixes!

Comment

Working...
          X