No announcement yet.

M50 Turbo Winter Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taking about how the turbo is clocked. Drain should be 30 degrees from vertical at maximum. Any more and it won’t drain and you’ll get oil blowing into your exhaust in no time

Comment

Originally posted by pandaboo911 View Post
      Taking about how the turbo is clocked. Drain should be 30 degrees from vertical at maximum. Any more and it won’t drain and you’ll get oil blowing into your exhaust in no time
      Oh I didn't notice that the turbo itself it clocked totally wrong.

Comment

It's maybe at a 45 degree off the turbo at most... I had thought about this as well but tried every other angle with no luck (the line would be right on top of the manifold...) I tried a various amount of angles and fittings with no luck at getting a fitting clear of the manifold.

Is it unanimous that a 30-45 degree off the turbo will pool up too much? If so, I'll perhaps look at ordering some shorter fittings and trying again.

87 325es - M50 Boosted - Link to BUILD THREAD
        07 328xi wagon 6mt - daily

Comment

Comment

Yup I fully understand what you mean. I worried a bit about this when I was lining it up but thought I'd be safe within 45 degree's or so from dead bottom. But it sounds like that might not be the case.

Problem is if I line it up where the red line is drawn. I hit the frame there with my fittings.. I tried straight, I tried 45 and 90 fittings... anywhere in between the red line and where the drain currently is I hit the manifold.. (one of the single pipes extends outward there and its not physically wide to occupy my drain line... between the manifold and turbo inlet I mean)

At the moment I'm thinking if I trim the little lip of the frame there I might be able to squeeze it through... basically trim the blue drawn lines or less even. I'd like to not trim the frame if I dont have to! lol

Either way it sounds like where I have it is bound to have issues.. so I'll play with it a little more later this week and report back...

Comment

M50 Turbo Winter Project

Get a lower profile drain adapter? Looks like yours is npt female. Get a 10 or 12 male AN drain and you’ll gain 1” of clearance for a 45

Comment

Get a lower profile drain adapter? Looks like yours is npt female. Get a 10 or 12 male AN drain and you’ll gain 1” of clearance for a 45

That sir, is an excellent idea... Here I was thinking I might need to shop for smaller fittings... didn't even consider a male flange as an option! Feel totally stupid, but genuinely appreciate the comment. Just ordered one so I can give it a try this weekend, will definitely give me close to an 1" of extra clearance which might be enough!

Comment

Yeah, I hate npt fittings and try to avoid them wherever possible.

You might need socket head cap screws to make that work too. Not sure if the hex head will have clearance. Some adapters come with the socket head screws

Comment

Yeah, I hate npt fittings and try to avoid them wherever possible.

You might need socket head cap screws to make that work too. Not sure if the hex head will have clearance. Some adapters come with the socket head screws
                    I'll make something work... I'll report back on this once my shorter flange gets to my mailbox!

In other news:
                    Installed new spark plugs today, went with NGK 4091 gapped to .023
                    Last edited by SirMaxximus; 01-20-2018, 07:44 PM.

Comment

Downpipe work today! Big thanks to homie Zack who came out to help today.

Out with the old 2.5 inch exhaust I was using while NA... going to run a similar set up, Borla XS mid-muffler with a vibrant end muffler. Sounded fantastic before, just upgrading everything to 3" and going to make it look a little more finished this time around.

But first, downpipe.

Got my wastegate in as out of the way as possible!

Its getting there.

Thats as far as we got today! Gotta add an o2 bung. Clean up a few spots then wrap this thing pretty soon... more coming soon!
                      Last edited by SirMaxximus; 01-21-2018, 08:45 AM.

Comment

Looks good wish i had time and fabrication skills to turbo my e30

Comment

Ha I'm glad I'm not the only one who has to weld on the floor when doing exhaust work like this
                          1989 325i LS Swap (Money Pit):https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=244933
                          COTM Feb 2019: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=428404

Comment

All of my friends weld on the floor for everything. It's just the proper way to weld :o

Originally posted by Pootis View Post
                            Ha I'm glad I'm not the only one who has to weld on the floor when doing exhaust work like this

Originally posted by SirMaxximus View Post
                            All my exhaust + downpipe bits showed up!
                            I think that is probably the best sounding exhaust for e30's. Running the same setup and it sounds tits on my m20. Not too much rasp and opens up past 3k.

Are you going to run just a screamer pipe on the wastegate or tie it back in to the exhaust?
                            89' 325ix Diamantschwarz/Black rattle can...

Insta: r_moose_w

Originally posted by flyboyx
                            I imagine her smelling like spoiled milk and having a half inch crust of doodoo circumnavigating her butthole.

Comment

Originally posted by ThatM20Guy View Post
                              I think that is probably the best sounding exhaust for e30's. Running the same setup and it sounds tits on my m20. Not too much rasp and opens up past 3k.

Are you going to run just a screamer pipe on the wastegate or tie it back in to the exhaust?
                              Yea I was really happy with how it sounded while NA! I set it up knowing it would be temporary. This one trying to take my time it a lot more permanent looking! (as you can see from my pic on page 1... I made the old exhaust before I had the zender apron! so the two really didn't even line up too great)

I'm really back and forth on the screamer pipe... If I route it back into the exhaust I want it behind the downpipe... basically thinking its already cramped enough at the downpipe and would be easier to install/remove later. I have it currently set up out of the way and its gonna land right next to where the downpipe connects to the midpipe... So thinking I might be pretty easy to weld it there with another set of flanges and a small flexpipe.. Otherwise I might just leave it where it sits now and let it roar

Anyone have any strong opinions on screamer pipe or not?
                              Last edited by SirMaxximus; 01-23-2018, 06:31 PM.

Comment

Thanks guys for noticing the turbo clocking issue, like I said I didn't think 45 degree would be too much but I'm glad you guys mentioned it! Was able to fix get it to mount nice and vertical with the shorter male flange... only problem now is my hose isn't long enough any more

also, we got a little closer on the downpipe.. here's a sneak peak! gotta fix a few spots and add an o2.. then I'll probably paint it before wrapping it.

Comment

Working...
                                X