Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Project Lola: Schwarz 89 325is given a new life.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To start this story off, we go back 3 years ago. I was contacted by a guy who lived in College Station, asking if I would help him out in search of an E30 for him. After a week or so of looking through craigslist he finds a couple of cars here in the DFW area that interest him, and plans a weekend to come up and take a look at them. We looked at 2 cars. One of which was a red 325i coupe, which he ended up buying. The other was a black 89 325is with some tasteful mods, which he turned down because of a transmission whine that scared him.

Fast forward 3 months later, I get a message on R3v from a guy in Ft. Worth who had just bought his first E30 and wasn't really sure what to do with it. I help point him in the right direction with some of the things I was wanting to do with the car, and we eventually became good friends.

In January, he sends me a text saying he hydroplaned his car off the highway into a guard rail, and it damaged the side considerably. A day later, I get this picture

He tells me he originally intends to fix the car, but works a lot and isn't sure when he'd have time to fix it. He eventually decides to part the car out and get something else, and I start to ask about parts on the car. After figuring out a list of parts off the car, I say screw it, and offer him a number for the entire car, which he accepts. That weekend I pick the car up. Now for some pictures.

Loaded on the trailer.

Arriving at home.

It has cardinal seats, but the rest of the interior is black. I'm going to have the seats reupholstered but keep the rest black I think.

Bent control arm and broken wheel

Will probably sell the MT2 wheel, I have a Momo i plan to have reupholstered.

The car has Vogtlands and Bilsteins, I'll likely just run them till I get Koni's and Ground Controls.

Picked up 91 318is parts car to get a trailing arm, door, hinge pillar/rocker and tail lights this week.

The car goes to get fixed on the 30th of this month. From there I plan to get a set of wheels for it, and get it back into running shape.

Long term goals for the car, I am considering LSx or S54 swapping this car, with fully rebuilt suspension and coils.
    Last edited by HennaE30; 04-10-2018, 07:23 PM.
    Originally posted by flyboyx
    how about if i yank the anal beads out of your ass like i'm trying to pull start a chain saw?
    Originally posted by Northern
    beer is my new liver cleanse.

Henna - '84 Hennarot 325e
    Lola - '89 Schwarz 325is - being saved
    Christine - '88 Schwarz 325is - Spec E30 Racecar
    '01 White F150 Lariat 4x4 Supercrew - Daily
    Dad's '05 Interlagosblau M3

Love these sorts of rescues.

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
    1983 Peugeot 505 STI
    1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
    2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

Awesome can't wait to see what this beast will become!

What wheels are currently on the car?

Comment

In for the updates!

Comment

Originally posted by ATL_E30 View Post
          Awesome can't wait to see what this beast will become!

What wheels are currently on the car?

They are ESM004. 17x8.5 iirc. They’re cheap Chinese wheels and I wouldn’t recommend them. I might have a line on a cheap set of Mtechnica Turbos, but I’m not sure if they’re knockoffs or not.

I went to autozone last night to get a battery for the car, and they wanted $170 for one. I said screw that and started to shop around for an Optima. My dad is calling Bimmerworld today to place an order for the race car, so he said he would ask how long the Redtop is backordered for.

Also, when I pulled the battery last night, it was sitting in an inch and a half of water.

My guess is the sunroof drain is split or disconnected, and whenever it rained, it just filled the trunk with water. Will have to investigate further when I’m off work.

Been reading up on RX7 BBKs, might decide to pull the trigger on it, stainless steel braided brake lines, and a braided stainless clutch line soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          how about if i yank the anal beads out of your ass like i'm trying to pull start a chain saw?

Comment

Originally posted by HennaE30 View Post
            Been reading up on RX7 BBKs, might decide to pull the trigger on it, stainless steel braided brake lines, and a braided stainless clutch line soon.
            PMed you about this bit

Excited to see this come back to life.
            Last edited by wworm; 04-12-2018, 09:22 AM.
            1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Subscribed.
              How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

So a little update. Forked out the cash for an Optima Yellow top. I couldn’t find a red top for the life of me.

Hooked everything up, and she runs! I didn’t check the oil level before starting, so I shut it off after a second or two of it running. The engine ran okay, other than what sounded like an exhaust leak from caused by the accident.

I managed to break the mounting clips for my smoked hella smilies from my Henna car, so I ordered some more clips but have yet to install them.

I started working on getting the rear trailing arm apart. I used an axle press to pop out the halfshaft, and started on the bolts that go into the diff only to find out 2 of them are completely stripped out.

I decided just to cut the heads of the bolts off and then use vice grips to get the studs out (yet to be done)

Planning to have the trailing arm swapped out this weekend, and maybe change the oil so the car can be driven onto a trailer to go to the body shop.

While the car is at the body shop, I’m going to start amassing the parts to rebuild the rear suspension. RTABs, subframe bushings, RSMs, braided steel brake lines, as well as the stuff to do a full diff service (fluid, ECS magnetic drain plug, and cover gasket) are all on the list of things to order within the next month and a half.

And here’s a picture of my daily if anyone was curious. [emoji4]

Comment

As someone that feels like I should save every E30 possible, and I applaud you for what you're undertaking, I do feel like that this shell 'might' be a bit too damaged. Now I am not saying that it can't be repaired, but I can tell you that is going to be a LOT of work and money put into repairing that car properly. That is a substantial hit that car took on the right lower rocker, and it was enough of a side impact at the A pillar to mash the dashboard to where it compressed.

Unless you have a hell of a hookup at a good body shop, it would be less expensive to swap everything into a better shell. Hell, from the looks of it, it would be easier to repair that 318is parts car. The damage to it doesn't look to be quite as bad.

But if they/you can pull off the repair properly, I will definitely be one of the first to congratulate you!
                  Eric Giles
                  '20 M2 CS
                  '04 M3
                  '11 X5 35D
                  '87 325is
                  '91 325i Sport

There are few things more expensive than a cheap BMW...

Comment

My guess is the sunroof drain is split or disconnected, and whenever it rained, it just filled the trunk with water. Will have to investigate further when I’m off work.
                    Awesome job on saving this one and working on getting it back on the road.

Other spots to check for leaks... Taillight gaskets/seals and there are 3 small grommets behind the rear window C Pillar Vent trim that can fail and let water in the trunk.

1989 325is Lachssilber - Sold
                    1990 325is Sterlingsilber - Current Project
                    September 2018 Car of the Month: Zeemz
                    Youtube Track & Autocross Videos

Comment

So life’s been busy. Trying to buy a house, finishing school. It’s delayed the restoration a bit, but I do have some stuff to report. Onto the good stuff.

The car had a bent rear trailing arm, so I grabbed the one out of Henna for the time being (since she’s been hard parked in light of missing major body parts), and threw it in there. Still have to reassemble the parking brake system, but that shouldn’t be too hard and the car should be on the ground end of week, and lined up to go to body hopefully.

Bent

Vs

Straight

Where we stand now. Everything together and tightened to go to body, just gotta do parking brake.

Some news from today/yesterday. BimmerWorld has an “Powerflex E30 Handling Pack” that includes 80A Poly FCAB, RTAB, subframe and diff bushings, and they had a Memorial Day instant rebate based on amount spent. So we picked up one for the black car and one for Henna.

That gets here Friday. Hoping I can get this diff sold, and I can make some extra money at work to get some coils and other things ordered and get this puppy driving.

Comment

wtf is that in the tree?! Looks like some shady as cat... but probably a plastic bag on it's way to kill a shady cat via suffocation/choking.

Comment

Exciting update!

The car is mostly back together (just gotta bleed the brakes and put the wheel back on). I called the body shop today who had originally given me the quote on the body work to get rescheduled, and they’re booked a month out. The car is currently scheduled to get fixed the week after 4th of July, but I may ask around some more to see if I can get it done sooner.

In the mean time, I’m probably going to shop around for a set of nice cheap wheels to roll around on for now and/or buy control arms to do my suspension overhaul.

Edit: she’s back on the ground. Now to assess the fluids situation (oil, coolant, etc.) and see about getting it to run correctly.

Last edited by HennaE30; 05-31-2018, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Nice work, looking forward to the bodywork updates.

Comment

Well not a whole lot to talk about. But the car is supposed to go to body the week of the 9th!

I need to bleed the rear brakes before it goes to the shop, among some other little things, but she’s almost ready to be loaded on the trailer.

Turning my attention to when it gets back from the shop, I got the rear subframe out of my henna car which I’m going to rebuild to put in Lola. Only problem is the trailing arms in the 84 don’t have ABS bungs, so I’ll need to use the ones from the donor car when it gets back from the body shop.

I was also considering what a red parcel shelf and red headliner would look like with Cardinal sport seats and black cards/bench would look like.

For those wondering, the henna car is going to be rebuilt, passing that torch to my dad.

The good news is the car seems to be drivable aside from the body damage. She gets drive in an out of the shop every so often to get something in or out.

Comment

Working...
                              X