Transfer case fluid chage help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transfer case fluid chage help

I’m in the middle of my iX restoration and can’t find the transfer case fill plug. I’ve seen a thread with a picture of it on the front driver’s side, but the only possible bolt in that area (middle of case) is a 13mm bolt. I clearly see the drain plug. My car is an auto, if that makes a difference. Thank you!
    1990 M3
    1991 325iX
    1991 M5
    1999 M3C
    2003 M5
    2012 X5 35d

It's a Allen key bolt, it doesn't look like the rest. should be easy to tell. It's either 6mm or 8mm can't remember off the top of my head.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    '91 318i (Alpine) - daily
    '88 325ix (Zinno) - drive here and there!

Comment

Auto or manual? The drain plugs are different, as the bolt pattern that attaches the T-case to the back of the 4HP22 is larger than the attachment pattern on the manual version, which crowds the fill plug and requires it to be smaller/different than on the stick shift version. Thus the fill plug is in a slightly different location and looks a little different.

Edit: Here's a photo of the fronts of the auto and manual T-cases together:

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
      Here is the Borg-Warner T-case, my dad's previous automatic E30 T-case and my manual trans E30 T-case:

Last edited by The Dark Side of Will; 01-17-2019, 11:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
        Auto or manual? The drain plugs are different, as the bolt pattern that attaches the T-case to the back of the 4HP22 is larger than the attachment pattern on the manual version, which crowds the fill plug and requires it to be smaller/different than on the stick shift version. Thus the fill plug is in a slightly different location and looks a little different.

Edit: Here's a photo of the fronts of the auto and manual T-cases together:
        Thanks that helps! Mine is auto, which I guess is why it doesn't look like most of the pics I found. The fill plug bolt on the auto looks about the same size as the ones around perimeter of the case so I didn't want to undo the wrong bolt.
        1990 M3
        1991 325iX
        1991 M5
        1999 M3C
        2003 M5
        2012 X5 35d

Comment

This is the photo I referenced for my auto IX

Comment

That's a manual but really it's pretty much the same.

As usual open the fill plug before you drain it.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Plus one!
              Not much fun if you just drained all the fluid and can't get the fill plug open...:o

Originally posted by nando View Post
              That's a manual but really it's pretty much the same.

As usual open the fill plug before you drain it.
              RESTART

Comment

Working...
              X