Quick driveshaft question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Currently swapping a s52 with ZF into my e30. I acquired a small case 3.46 rear diff out of a e36 318ti(4bolt). Can I use the standard zf driveshafts 328/m3 with the rear of the e30 shaft or will the length be changed because of the small case diff?

I have searched a ton and can’t find an exact answer and don’t have time to waste buying the wrong driveshaft.

Thanks for your help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The length is slightly adjustable so it should work. However, you don't want to use a small case diff with the S50/S52 anyway.
    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
      The length is slightly adjustable so it should work. However, you don't want to use a small case diff with the S50/S52 anyway.

Thanks, good point!

I’m going to rebuild my medium case and put it back in, this one was too good of a price to pass up. It’s also the 3.46 and according to metric mechanic should be good for 280ft/tq so I think I’ll be alright for at least a little while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'd be a bit surprised if the 168mm diff can withstand an S52 for all that long-

keep in mind that your gearbox is a torque multiplier, so 280 ft/lbs at the crank
        becomes 280x4.2 ft/lbs in 1st gear...

So no long smokey burnouts for you!

heh

t
        now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Working...
        X