Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

car suddenly not driving straight

Hi Guys,
    weird problem. I was driving on hwy and had to do a hard stop to avoid slow traffic. I noticed that my car turned a bit as I was doing this. The steering wheel had been totally straight and normal. Then I noticed that to go straight, the wheel was turned almost 2 inches and was tugging to the side.

I put it on my home made alignment rack (4 stands with fishing line) and the rear tires both seem to be toed out the same way(both to the same side) by a bit over 1/8 of an inch where the tirewall is nearest the line. The fronts with the steering wheel straight are straight.

I've redone every suspension bushing on the car over the last year. It has been months since I did anything. I bought the car with a salvage title so indeed it had been in a fender bender (front) but as noted it had been just fine. The rails on the bottom of the car look fine.

Any thoughts on what it could be? I dont see how it could have just changed like that.

Brake caliper hanging up "hard stop" ? Do the font wheels spin free off the ground?
    2004 525i Manual - 1985 325E Coupe Manual

Comment

Thats a good suggestion. I think I might of noticed needing more throttle but that could explain it. I'll check.

Comment

Just a note in case anybody is tuned in, I figured out what happened but forgot to post. I have the soft garagistic offset hole bushings installed on the lollipops. Literally the bushing rotated in the lollipop sending my alignment to crap. The day was really cold so I think it just shrank enough for a high load to push it around. A bit unnerving.

Comment

Originally posted by zeedre View Post
          ...I have the soft garagistic offset hole bushings installed on the lollipops. Literally the bushing rotated in the lollipop sending my alignment to crap... A bit unnerving.
          You can keep the CAB from spinning around by drilling a small hole in both the outer lollipop and into the CAB, then inserting a small screw.

Your a Denver local, so let's get together sometime.

Good luck man!
          1989 332iS AW2 @ 2,342 lbs. m20b31 (JE FSR 10.5:1; 284/280 cam; ST+1 Intakes; RHD 40mm ITB/CF Plenum; Stahl 1.5"/CRMB X/Borla XS Pro; TMS J-Stock suspension (Ver. 2); M3 E3 undertray/VAC CF splitter; exhaust blown difusser; (Teves Mk60 ABS in trunk next)

Originally posted by Jb325is
          Sucks for everyone involved. Lots of guys are just building IG cars these days... Look good on the internet, but in real life they're hacked up piles of shit.
          Transaction Feedback: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=258421

Comment

Good tip. Subscribed to your events thread!

Comment

Did you ever get those 15"s we talked about?

Local meet on 2/17
              1989 332iS AW2 @ 2,342 lbs. m20b31 (JE FSR 10.5:1; 284/280 cam; ST+1 Intakes; RHD 40mm ITB/CF Plenum; Stahl 1.5"/CRMB X/Borla XS Pro; TMS J-Stock suspension (Ver. 2); M3 E3 undertray/VAC CF splitter; exhaust blown difusser; (Teves Mk60 ABS in trunk next)

Originally posted by Jb325is
              Sucks for everyone involved. Lots of guys are just building IG cars these days... Look good on the internet, but in real life they're hacked up piles of shit.
              Transaction Feedback: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=258421

Comment

Working...
              X