M42 fuel injector source

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M42 fuel injector source

I'm swapping an M42 into an early e30 and I've just found out that the injectors that came with my donor motor are NFG. That's according to a local fuel injector service shop who said they would test and clean my injectors for about $50 each.

I will take him at his word - I can't see why he would lie - it's not like he has offered to sell me new ones instead. They looked pretty bad when I pulled them out as well, so not surprised.

So - the good news is that I get to install brand new injectors. The question now is whether I install OEM or Ford injectors. My understanding is that the Ford injectors may be preferable because they have four squirting holes (I forget the technical term) instead of just one but I also understand that there is no real hard evidence to support that belief.

This all doesn't matter so much to me so much. What does matter is that I get hold of a set of good injectors for a reasonable price. I did a bit of searching and I see that aftermarket Ford injectors can be had for as little as $26. This seems to good to be true....

Anyway - I'm looking for suggestions on where to get the best value for injectors from the guys that have been there done that.

Thanks

You have to be very certain that you get the right Ford injector, as some are the wrong impedance, some have the wrong flow rate, and some are too tall/short.

So, since going to 4 pintle offers no positive gains staying stock is just fine, but if you are certain about the Ford injectors you are buying, and can save some coin, go for it.

Personally, I'd buy new Ford ones after researching, or if I could find a set quickly I'd consider used stock ones at $40 for a set maximum.

Comment

I would just find a known good second hand OEM set and get them cleaned.

Comment

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
        I would just find a known good second hand OEM set and get them cleaned.
        The m42 engine uses the same injectors found on m30 engines of the same era. So if at the junkyard, look for 535i and 735i cars or e36 cars with m42 engines.

Comment

I bought brand new Bosch #19 injectors off of ebay years ago. I believe they are used on old Ford mustangs? I have a Mark D 93 chip and I wanted to start new and maintain my injectors without worrying about crappy injectors. Car runs amazing.
          My 1991 318is Progression Thread

Comment

Working...
          X