Return to the E30 Chambers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AFM rebuild is a must, folks.

4diyers has a vid that covers all the bases aside from replacing the sealing gasket and hitting the sensor with throttle body & air intake cleaner and some light nylon brushing.

Don't forget the sensor safe silicone rtv and the crazy from dusk 'til dawn slampig fiesta!!!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    "It wouldn't be there if it wasn't..." - Milton Berle

1988 325iS - M20

Comment

Return to the E30 Chambers

Soon I’ll be coming to you for your help.... actually it’s already happening.

The 4.10 will be for temporary shenanigans until turbo. Then you’ll probably need a 2.93
      Last edited by 2mAn; 02-17-2019, 10:50 PM.
      Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

You're coming to visit Man Jose? When?! I've got a huge parts bin going. Mostly spares and extras. Come, take.

Drive this stupid thing and tell me wtf is going on with all this moaning and groaning too.

Convinced it's the diff and/or all four wheel bearings. Whenever I look up vids of "e30 groan", etc., none of them actually groan. Mine sounds insane.

I've got thunking, clunking, moaning, and groaning happening on a completely refreshed suspension lol

Idles and runs like a top, now, though. [emoji90]

How does one post vids here? Upload to yt and link?

1988 325iS - M20

Comment

1988 325iS - M20

Comment

[emoji3516][emoji3516][emoji3516]Think I've got the thunking figured out. And clicking...and...[emoji3516][emoji3516][emoji3516]

Also, when you put an e36 steering rack in your e30 the tie rod clamp rings and tie rod backing bolts are required for smooth steering. One would think, anyway...fuck's sake..

Looks like output shaft seal needs replacing too. Ordered the parts. Clusterfuck tbc.

1988 325iS - M20

Comment

I really can’t believe that happened, especially if a shop swapped the axles out... wow
              Simon
              Current Cars:

Comment

Damn.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Comment

Just typed this up so I remember everything at the shop tomorrow. It's going to be very difficult to not be a complete dick. The shop will remain unnamed for now. I keep a two strike policy with people I like and this fuckery was definitely strike 1.

Problems stemming from the work:

Axle/CV Joint @ Driver's Side Diff was hanging by 2 loose bolts and tire side CV Boot is sliced - Replace/Repair.

Rear hubs are missing wheel bearing retainers/axle nut lock plate. One was dangling over the collar nut on the driver’s side and the passenger side was completely missing. BMW Part # 33411124945. Parts are in box on passenger floor along with the old part for inspection.

Front Driver Side Strut – Pushing down hard on the driver’s side produces a sound. Please take for a test drive and go over bumps with it and/or inspect. I have returned the front struts to softest setting and that alleviated most of the sound.

Steering Wheel Knock - Something binding up front when turning, could be related to driver’s side strut. – FIXED – TIE ROD ENDS STAMPED WITH "L" and "R" WERE REVERSED!

Rear End Suspension - Either one rear corner sagging or one rear corner jacked up. Sat perfectly even before. Upon inspection I noticed passenger side spring pads were reversed (knob was on bottom instead of top). I thought this would be the culprit and I flipped them but the rear is still crooked. I am not sure if the trailing arm bushings were replaced, not sure what else might affect ride-height on a refreshed suspension if the shocks are not binding. Measuring from bottom of rim to bottom center of fender flare gives 18 3/8” on rear driver and 18 3/4” rear passenger. I swapped the left and right springs to see if there was any difference and ride height is the same as it was before. I checked the sway bar while it was detached from the trailing arms and it does not bind. Please inspect the subframe bushings as well, although they look even to me I am not a professional.

Rear Spring Pads – Lower pad was ripped clean through because driver side spring was mounted upside down. Old lower pad used for passenger side for ease of replacement. Torn new spring pad in box on the passenger floor for inspection.

Rear Shock Towers – Passenger missing gasket, both new gaskets were installed on car. Shock towers had brand new locknuts on them as per requirements, found 3 regular nuts and 1 locknut on them when I got the car back. While replacing gasket and diagnosing/repairing rear suspension lean please return the rear shocks to softest setting + 1/16” turn firm to prevent damage to adjustment cam. It is clockwise firm and counterclockwise soft for the Koni 80 series. I have already set the front struts to softest setting + 1/16” turn firm to prevent damage to adjustment cam. Front struts are counterclockwise firm and clockwise soft.

Work requested but not completed:

Diff Bushing. Part is in box on passenger floor.

Center Support Bearing. Part is in box on passenger floor.

Trailing Arm Bushings - Inner & Outer. I don’t know if these were replaced. Please inspect for damage if they were replaced as this could affect ride height. Parts are in the box on passenger floor.

New Work:

Wheel Bearings - Inspect and/or replace - Turning in tight circles or turning in slow, sharp turns creates a groaning from what sounds like the right side of the vehicle – If needed replace OK to use FAG or OEM BMW only. Please replace opposite side as well if necessary to do one. Replace all four if both are bad on one side.

Transmission Output Shaft Seal – Inspect to confirm it is the output shaft and replace if needed. Part is in box on passenger floor.

1988 325iS - M20

Comment

Update - got rear-ended sitting in neutral while idling at a red light. Trying to source a paint matched late model plastic cover in Schwarz.

I also had all that work in the previous post done plus a diff swap and RTAB install in LA last
                    weekend. The stoner left rear shock towers loose...

I have a laundry list now that I am having to wait 10 days or more for a pd report to show I was hit by an uninsured motorist so that my insurance will send an adjustor and pony up.

Yesterday I replaced and adjusted ebrakes as well as replaced all output fuel hoses from pump to rail.

Today I will replace the cps and the coolant hoses which required it to be drained.

1988 325iS - M20

Comment

Here is the laundry list, asterisks I aim to get done before insurance shows up:

***Cps plus remaining coolant hoses

***Window and sunroof maintenance/adjustment

***Ashtray Gauge pod by garagistic (volt, oil temp, oil pressure gauges by vdo)

Brake upgrade to 7 series master cylinder and steel braided lines front, mid, rear

Bearings and/or axles or driveshaft rebuild/replace (still on the fence about this while diagnosing a thunk on all new suspension, guibo, and csb).

***Oil filter relocation (kamotors)

***Oil cooler relocation (garagistic kidney)

***Headlight intake (kamotors)

***IE stainless exhaust

***IE short shifter

HD Clutchmaster dual mass plus lightened flywheel and new fork plus pivot poin

ARP Head studs

Budget turbo plus ms2 and base/startup tune (kamotors)

E36 tps

Find someone to tune it or help me tune it

Bar/psi and afm gauges on pillar

Headliner/rear glass replace same time

70% vis tint all around

CL Seat exchange

PDR

Sub upgrade to max allowable box size jl w7 and slash v2 monoblock. Theres a H.O. ported 8w7 in it now with plenty of room to spare

I am smelling something burn from very front of grilles. Suspect oil cooler or trans cooler...will inspect today while replacing cps and hoses.

1988 325iS - M20

Comment

Oh, I also bought a 2.7 stroker with a ported and polished 885 plus 272 cam for 300 dollars while I was in LA making my rounds.

It's on an engine stand being rebuilt in the same LA shop I bought motor from with new seals, rings, MLS, and all ARP hardware. Any suggestions on other things I can do while its open would be awesome!!

1988 325iS - M20

Comment

Simon
                          Current Cars:

Comment

What causes an intermittent thunking/clunking and groaning (they both happen at the same time, even though the frequency is intermittent while turning) from the rear passenger wheel while turning in tight clockwise circles?

I feel a very light thunk when initially going straight but there are no sounds. I also hear no sounds or feel nothing when making normal right turns.

CV? I did replace the axles but they were cheap amazon specials that I can't even find anymore.

Wheel bearing?

1988 325iS - M20

Comment

I would assume CV, wheel bearings don’t usually clunk super hard, usually it’s noise and vibration. Check your diff too while you’re back there.

Comment

:popcorn:
                                Simon
                                Current Cars:

Comment

Working...
                                X