No announcement yet.

1987 325e sedan M30B35 swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry for the lack of turbo updates I've been busy with our first born and building a garage. The e30 has been killing it doing dad stuff. I've put 12k miles on it since I swapped it, and it hasn't given me any issues at all.

I can't really work on any cars at the moment as we are building a garage addition. I won't have a free space of concrete to jack up the car till construction is done at the end of January.

After the garage is complete I plan on taking the e30 off the road, swapping out the g240 for a g260, and doing all the turbo stuff.
    I took the car to a euro car show not to long ago and ran it down the 1/4 mile a couple times just to see what it would do.
    Let's just say I was a little disappointed.

Keep in mind that was on stock 6" wide bottle caps and a 3.64 diff. I could not floor it in first gear at all. With some decent rubber in the back I'm sure I could pull a 2.0 60 foot and get a 14.5 sec pass. My trap speed was a pretty good indicator that the car should run a faster time if traction was not an issue.
    Oh yeah I picked up a clapped out 540i 6 speed to drive around while the e30 is down. 227k miles and runs like a champ.

Funny it gets better MPG than the e30.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Not surprised on the 540i getting better economy than the e30 - the M30 loves to drink fuel that's for sure!

Good to see the e30 on Dad duties - I used mine for the same for 10 years & around 150,000km (as a 2.0L auto for the first 50,000km, then as an M30B35 Manual for 100,000km). Served its purpose just fine :D
      My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Boooomp
        1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
        1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
          Boooomp
          I thought you were M30 swapping Linda?

My brother bought a OK condition US 635csi to replace his wrecked euro 635, and then promptly turbocharged it.

Junkyard B35, custom inverted exhaust manifold turbo manifold, 62/66 precision turbo on pump gas. At 12psi it made 320whp and 350wtrq.

Long story short, after setting up 2 step on his megasquirt he eventually broke 2 rocker arms on cylinder 3 while on 2 step.

Being a good brother, I offered him my cylinder head off of my e30. Before I swapped the car I had it tanked, decked, valve guides replaced, and a valve job performed. Basically a stock rebuilt B35 head with HD rockers and rocker locks.

Both engines looked pretty good with the heads off.
          E30

E24

So now with my new junkyard head being rebuilt I wanted to make sure this would be the most reliable head I could build for abuse.
          I had IE HD rockers on my previous head and never had a problem with them. However for this head I decided to go with an indestructible rocker arm. K&M Cams sells a M10/M30 steel rocker arm, and really the price isn't that bad considering this will be the last set of rockers I will have to buy.

I spent an hour polishing the pads.

I also ordered a DBilas 290 cam with 12mm of lift.
          My garage addition is only a few days from being completed. Just have to epoxy the floors and then I can start wrenching hardcore again.

Comment

Awesome progress on the garage, and your brother's car is probably a blast to drive! Also, did you see Metric Mechanics just released an M10/M30 rocker arm? I sent them an email inquiring about price.

I was going to m30 swap Linda, but I had 5 e30 projects going on at one time, and the m30 parts I had were all over the place and incomplete so I just sold it all to start fresh. I've got two more cars to sell, once those are gone I have to bring the M3 out to Indiana, and then I'm going to buy a manual E34 535i donor car to get the job done once and for all. Long to-do list, but if I do it in the right order I'll actually get it done.

Until then, I'm just living vicariously through your build and Anthony B's build.

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
              Awesome progress on the garage, and your brother's car is probably a blast to drive! Also, did you see Metric Mechanics just released an M10/M30 rocker arm? I sent them an email inquiring about price.
              I've never bought anything from MM, but I have read people expressing their discontent for that shop in forums.
              I bought my rockers from Pure PF in Sweden. Took about a week from ordering till they were delivered and cost $520 shipped.

One thing about the steel rockers is that they don't use a softer bearing material at the rocker shaft, is just steel on steel. We will see how long they last.

Comment

Originally posted by st.petebiodiesel View Post
                I've never bought anything from MM, but I have read people expressing their discontent for that shop in forums.
                I bought my rockers from Pure PF in Sweden. Took about a week from ordering till they were delivered and cost $520 shipped.

One thing about the steel rockers is that they don't use a softer bearing material at the rocker shaft, is just steel on steel. We will see how long they last.
                The MM ones are $50ea, they said it'd be $625 out the door after shipping. I think I'll just get the IE HD ones when the time comes, with those eBay rocker locks you showed me.

Comment

The garage is complete!

The baby and the dog are just as excited as I am.

Finally had the e30 towed over to it's new home.

I'm having my camshaft and valve train parts delivered tomorrow. If the machine shop finishes replacing my valve guides in a timely manner then I should be putting this head back together within a week.

Comment

That's awesome! I won't share a pic of mine as it has structural issues that have resulted in the floor cracking and dropping a foot in the middle of the garage! Still using it for storage, but you can't get a car in there.

Nice work on the porta cot in the garage... you can tinker with the e30 AND keep an eye on your baby at the same time :)
                    My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Check out these lobes!

Had a fun time getting the cam nut off the old cam. They are torqued to 100 ftlbs.

Cam specs:
                      duration intake/exhaust 290/290
                      Lift intake/exhaust 11mm/11mm
                      Lobe separation angle 108.
                      Degrees of overlap 13
                      Lift at TDC I/E. 2.5mm/2.5mm
                      Probably not going to run this cam when I turbo the car.

Comment

holy lobes, congrats on the garage!

also your dog changed colors, what gives?
                        1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

That’s the dbilas 290 from that group but correct? I’ll totes buy it from ya once you go turbo.

Comment

Guys, this is always hard to admit but I've had quite the streak of bad luck.
                            I got my head back from the machine shop. All new exhaust guides, good as new.

I assembled the head installing my new indestructible K&M steel rocker arms, rocker locks and high lift high duration camshaft.
                            Got it running with break in oil, even took it to a car show with some friends. It sounded super mean at idle.

Later the next day the engine developed a terrible tick. I attempted to diagnose the source and prudently decided to pull the head to find the source. My brand new rocker failed in 300 miles!

How could this happen? I thought these were the last set of rockers I would ever have to buy.
                            I contacted K&M Cams and they promptly sent me a replacement rocker.
                            I assembled the valve train and ran the engine once again. It had an even louder knock now. Apparently I now had a bent valve that no longer would return until tapped by the piston.
                            So once again, head back off again.

I have no idea what would cause the valve to bend especially at the top portion of the valve stem.

I replaced the valve with a good used one, re assembled the engine and drove it for another 300 miles before it developed a familiar sounding tick. I pulled the valve cover and now I have another rocker pad excessively worn attempting to ruin my brand new cam.
                            I don't understand why my rockers are failing. New camshaft, new rockers, new valve springs, retainers, and collets.
                            I'm even running a ZDDP addative.
                            So basically I spent $500 on rockers that fail randomly every 300 miles. 1st failure was #1 intake, second failure #4 intake. My cam isn't damaged so I assume the rockers were improperly heat treated or something. I know I have sufficient lubrication. I even ran my engine breifly with the valve cover off. (Don't do this unless necessary, it makes a huge mess)

I'm going back to the IE HD rockers. The failure rate on the K&M steel rockers is unreal.

Last edited by st.petebiodiesel; 03-17-2019, 06:18 PM.

Comment

So sad to read this...
                              Hopefully you get it on the road once more and never have to go through this crap again.
                              Oh, I love your garage!
                              '85 Alpine Weiß 2-door with m20b30 ground up build

Comment

holy smokes thats so frustrating! Would love to hear some lopey idle clips when this is back together :devil:
                                1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Working...
                                X