Clear Tail light lenses.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clear Tail light lenses.

I thought these were cool, too bad I have a late model. I'm sure someone here could replicate MHWs, or Startecs using these clear lenses.

sigpic

Clear Tail light lenses.

Originally posted by Mike36 View Post
    I thought these were cool, too bad I have a late model. I'm sure someone here could replicate MHWs, or Startecs using these clear lenses.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-M3-E30-...kGGe:rk:9:pf:0

If someone wanted to replicate MHW or Startecs couldn’t they just use factory lights as molds?
    So you bought these lights but after receiving them realized they didn’t fit because you don’t have an early model? Dang.
    Are the colors of the brake/turn lights purely dependent on bulb color alone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Recent Rebranding!!
    Visit Garageaholic for all of your E30 Swap Needs!
    E30 SM62/S62
    E30 M60 V8
    E30 M30 Big 6!

Check out this E36 N54 Swap Build
    Instagram.com/garageaholic
    Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

Back in the 90's I often saw adds for e30 taillights in European magazines for smoked, red and clear e30 taillights. I assumed the smoked and red are the MHW/startech we know but I never saw a clear set and assumed it didn't really exists. Maybe this is them?
      e30sport.net
      '15 Porsche GT3 - 7-speed PDK - Daily Driver
      '86 325es - s54b32tu - 6-speed - Mtech 1
      '89 325is - m20b25 - 5-speed - Individual

Comment

Originally posted by FrankM E30 View Post
        If someone wanted to replicate MHW or Startecs couldn’t they just use factory lights as molds?
        So you bought these lights but after receiving them realized they didn’t fit because you don’t have an early model? Dang.
        Are the colors of the brake/turn lights purely dependent on bulb color alone?
        No, I didnt buy these. I'm saying it would be cool if someone could attempt this. I just contacted the seller and he's making clear lenses for late models so I may just try it.

MHW and Startecs seem to use clear/smoked lenses with tinted interior sections.
        Last edited by Mike36; 11-15-2018, 10:39 AM.
        sigpic

Comment

I'd definitely get a set of clear late model lenses. Ive been wanting to do my own colors for a while now.

Comment

Colored lamp / clear lens question

Originally posted by Victell View Post
            I'd definitely get a set of clear late model lenses. Ive been wanting to do my own colors for a while now.
            Hey, just curious - what did you have in mind for colors, for each lamp function?

I have seen many that wanted red turns, I have seen purple tail and brake with amber / yellow turns, amber reverse and brake lights, I have even seen green tails ... what's your thinking?

Reason I ask is I have a solution (for theatre lights, high wattage) that I use for coating clear lamps from varying degrees of 'amber' to deep red. I also use it to restore faded lenses that went pink, and bring them back to the original color after years in the sun. Mostly for 2002 round tails so far, but it works on any lens. I did some lamps for a Canadian E30, to replace the purple lamps.

The solution is from way back before cancer was considered bad, and of course it's no longer sold. I bought a big jar years ago, and am happy to share - with proper ventilation of course!

Andy
            Last edited by Mo Brighta; 12-31-2018, 04:51 PM. Reason: readability
            Andy says "Be Seen, and Not Hurt!"
            Lighting Upgrades front and back for 2002, E3, E9, E10, E12, E21, E23, E24, E28, E30, E32, E36, E39, and more.
            Tail Light Improvements keep them off your tail.
            Headlight protection saves headlights from breakage.

Comment

Originally posted by Mo Brighta View Post
              Hey, just curious - what did you have in mind for colors, for each lamp function?

Andy
              Sounds like you've thought about it way more than I have. My only thoughs so far is that it could look better than the the stock design.

I always liked the fox body cobra tailights though

Comment

Speaking about Thinking about Lights

Originally posted by Mo Brighta
                Andy
                Sounds like you've thought about it way more than I have. My only thoughs so far is that it could look better than the the stock design.

I always liked the fox body cobra tailights though.

What is it exactly about the stock design do you NOT like - and how would you make it 'more pleasant?' I have always thought that most rear lights could look better, and that how I spend my 'retirement.'

You say I may have given this more thought than you - Yes, guilty on that count. Looking at the SVT Cobra, I see all three typical lens colors - red, amber, and clear. I assume for tail & brake, turn, and reverse lights, respectively. And those lights are HUGE! I hope they are bright and easily understood by other drivers.

I think ALOT about making lights better - meaning, brighter and easier to see - after suffering five rear/side collision impacts. If I can help you as well, so much the better for both of us.

Avoidable collisions are annoying, expensive, a danger to life and limb and fender, and for the E30, constitute a threat of extinction to a damn fine species! 'Accidents' are when small children lose the content of their bladder suddenly; NOT when an operator losing control of the vehicle... THAT is usually due to a deliberate failure to use the brain to safely operate the controls at their feet and hands to negotiate a changing environment on the roadway. I wish more people did that. Many folks these days are basically passengers who happen to be sitting behind a steering wheel; they rely on air bags, and - now - automatic braking!

I understand rear lights to have three purposes:

1) Make the car visible to other drivers during periods of reduced visibility, such as at night, and right around dusk and dawn, or during bad weather (rain, snow, fog, dust), and to indicate direction of travel;

2) Communicate driver actions (slowing, backing) and intentions (turning, stopping); and

3) Alert other drivers of unexpected hazardous situations (4-way flashers) like an obstacle, disabled vehicle, sudden slow traffic, etc., or stopping for non-obvious reasons such as wildlife, potty, driver change, or sightseeing stops.

Hopefully these help other drivers avoid collisions with YOUR VEHICLE - to keep cost down, avoid injury and death, and keep traffic moving smoothly without delays.

Wouldn't it be nice if everyone understood and acted on these principles?

But, living in a real world with real idiots, brighter lights is my way of moving folks toward this end goal, and AWAY FROM MY CAR. If I can help you with this, then maybe they'll stay away from your car too.

You can make the lights brighter, bigger, and easy to understand, but you cannot make a driver see, or act on what they are not looking at. All you can do is make it easier for them to see your car, understand your intentions, and act appropriately... and pray that they do so.

My longstanding disbelief is that some folks see the lights as a fashion accessory, and start doing things like very dark tinting or spraying with paint to match body color, or buying lights from factories that are very interested in profit, but not at all in safety or legality.

Be safe out there - watch out for the other guy, because the life you save may be your own.

OK, time to get off the soap box, stop thinking, and act. I have lights waiting in the shop!

Andy
                Andy says "Be Seen, and Not Hurt!"
                Lighting Upgrades front and back for 2002, E3, E9, E10, E12, E21, E23, E24, E28, E30, E32, E36, E39, and more.
                Tail Light Improvements keep them off your tail.
                Headlight protection saves headlights from breakage.

Comment

Late model clear lenses are available on ebay now. Has anyone tried them?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ebay clear tails 7.jpg
Views:	4693
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	9911146 Click image for larger version

Name:	ebay clear tails.jpg
Views:	4799
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	9911147 Click image for larger version

Name:	ebay clear tails 9.jpg
Views:	3624
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	9911148 Click image for larger version

Name:	ebay clear tails 8.jpg
Views:	4666
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	9911149 Click image for larger version

Name:	ebay clear tails 6.jpg
Views:	3532
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	9911150

Comment

This guy has made lots of sets with the early model lights and a few late model lights. I'll be attempting to a late model set once I'm done with my hardtop.
                    sigpic

Comment

https://www.instagram.com/diverse_motors/

This guy has made lots of sets with the early model lights and a few late model lights.
                      Yes for $660 a set. I dont know how much work goes into doing these so that price might be reasonable.

Comment

Yes for $660 a set. I dont know how much work goes into doing these so that price might be reasonable.
                        Well, I messaged him on IG, he said the hard part is removing the original lens from late model tails. Basically have to carefully break them off and dremel the housing to clean it up for the new lens. He said baking and a heat gun didnt work for him.
                        sigpic

Comment

Well, I messaged him on IG, he said the hard part is removing the original lens from late model tails. Basically have to carefully break them off and dremel the housing to clean it up for the new lens. He said baking and a heat gun didnt work for him.
                          I was just about to post a new thread on how to remove the lens/if anyone has done it. I tried last night to bake them and it didn't work so i began to break it apart slowly which I still haven't completed but the but wasn't sure how to remove the extra that is still left or the sealant. Because it didn't soften after being in the oven

Comment

I've done a custom set of early tails.
                            Check out my DIY here: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...artec-replicas

Comment

Late model clear lenses are available on ebay now. Has anyone tried them?

Click image for larger version  Name:	ebay clear tails 7.jpg Views:	77 Size:	61.4 KB ID:	9911146 Click image for larger version  Name:	ebay clear tails.jpg Views:	78 Size:	65.1 KB ID:	9911147 Click image for larger version  Name:	ebay clear tails 9.jpg Views:	75 Size:	70.2 KB ID:	9911148 Click image for larger version  Name:	ebay clear tails 8.jpg Views:	76 Size:	67.5 KB ID:	9911149 Click image for larger version  Name:	ebay clear tails 6.jpg Views:	74 Size:	72.2 KB ID:	9911150
                              Can someone provide the link for these on eBay please?

I'm in UK and everytime I try loading ebay.com, it takes me back to the UK app so can't see them

Comment

Working...
                              X