IX Manual Swap - Where to Find Parts / Other Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IX Manual Swap - Where to Find Parts / Other Options

I recently acquired an IX with an automatic transmission. I'd really like to put a manual transmission in the car, but understand the 5 speed transmission for the IX is unique. Also, the automatic transfer case currently installed will need to be replaced with a transfer case for a manual transmission.

I'm having a hard time finding these parts. I figured this was as good of time as any to pick brains about the best places to look and/or see if there are other options/adapters that can be used (i.e. an adapter on a 5 speed out of a 325I).

Suggestions?
    1991 325ix Coupe 5 Speed
    1990 325ix Sedan Auto
    2001 M3 Convertible 6 Speed
    +2002 M3 Convertible SMG (RIP)
    1972 Ford Bronco

Instagram: @steine20

Originally posted by Steiner View Post
    I recently acquired an IX with an automatic transmission. I'd really like to put a manual transmission in the car, but understand the 5 speed transmission for the IX is unique. Also, the automatic transfer case currently installed will need to be replaced with a transfer case for a manual transmission.

I'm having a hard time finding these parts. I figured this was as good of time as any to pick brains about the best places to look and/or see if there are other options/adapters that can be used (i.e. an adapter on a 5 speed out of a 325I).

Suggestions?
    I think the easiest route is to buy a cheap 5-spd car that is either rusted out or being parted out. You can find a complete cars for what it would cost to buy what you need separately
    1990 M3
    1991 325iX
    1991 M5
    1999 M3C
    2003 M5
    2012 X5 35d

Comment

Unfortunately you need the ix transmission and transfercase. The good news is, there rest of the parts are pretty much the same. The only other difference is the shift console and lever are ix-specific.
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Another random - somewhat related thought - is it possible to rebuild an existing transfer case? I have a manual transfer case that likely needs to be rebuilt in my daily driver. Is there a vendor recommended for this kind of service?
        1991 325ix Coupe 5 Speed
        1990 325ix Sedan Auto
        2001 M3 Convertible 6 Speed
        +2002 M3 Convertible SMG (RIP)
        1972 Ford Bronco

Instagram: @steine20

Comment

yeah it's not that bad of a DIY actually. I don't think there are any vendors here that will do that, maybe a transmission shop.

If you have a manual housing you can swap the front half of the case onto your auto transfercase. Internally they are the same.
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

OP will also need the input shaft for manual trans configuration, as well as a couple of needle bearings that stay with the auto transmission when it and the T-case are split.

Comment

Working...
            X