Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My New 1985 318i, need to drive from CA to NY. What do I do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My New 1985 318i, need to drive from CA to NY. What do I do?

I have recently purchased a 1985 318i 5 speed . It has the m10 motor. It looks to be pristine as all lights and signals work. It has 110k miles , so far it starts up instantly and doesn't over heat but she seems to idle loud then low loud then low. Sounds like the timing is off. Can any of you angels show me a list of maintance parts to buy. I have only changed the oil and filter and windshield wipers. I want to make her reliable to drive 2000 my miles! Thank you!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

what do you mean by idling loud?
    1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Originally posted by wworm View Post
      what do you mean by idling loud?
      It doesn't do it anymore after the oil filter and oil change but now after about 10 minutes of driving when I come to a stop it revs up and down up and down up and down. Engine doesn't turn off or overheat. Is there a list of maintance items you recommend I do to have a solid car

Comment

Originally posted by Sonny View Post
        It doesn't do it anymore after the oil filter and oil change but now after about 10 minutes of driving when I come to a stop it revs up and down up and down up and down. Engine doesn't turn off or overheat. Is there a list of maintance items you recommend I do to have a solid car
        Sounds like you have a vacuum leak
        '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
        NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
        Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

Originally posted by Jaxx_ View Post
          Sounds like you have a vacuum leak
          Yes you are correct. How can I find it. I tried a cigar and no luck boss?

Comment

Check the intake boot for cracks.

fwiw I drove an e30 from Los Angeles to Buffalo, NY in 2005 when I was 18 without doing any maintenance and learning to drive stick along the way. I wouldn't necessarily recommend it but it was an adventure.
            Originally posted by LJ851
            I programmed my oven to turn off when my pizza was done, should i start a build thread?

Feedback

Comment

Also the idle control module on these cars is known to be pretty marginal.

There are a number of threads about different solutions.

If I was going to drive an E30 M10 across country, I'd change the oil in the trans and diff,
              check the guibo and center support. all of the ball joints and the lollipops,
              make sure the brakes and tires were good, check the plugs, wires, cap and rotor,
              make sure the plug wire protector is between the exhaust manifold and wires,

and go.

The M10 is a tank, and it doesn't
              stress the rest of the car very much. It makes them pretty durable.

t
              now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
                Also the idle control module on these cars is known to be pretty marginal.

There are a number of threads about different solutions.

If I was going to drive an E30 M10 across country, I'd change the oil in the trans and diff,
                check the guibo and center support. all of the ball joints and the lollipops,
                make sure the brakes and tires were good, check the plugs, wires, cap and rotor,
                make sure the plug wire protector is between the exhaust manifold and wires,

and go.

The M10 is a tank, and it doesn't
                stress the rest of the car very much. It makes them pretty durable.

t
                Yes the trans and diff definitely need to be changed. I also notice my car sounds like a sewing machine and metal rub.
                Sounds like a car that doesn't have brakes pressing there brakes. But this happens upon acceleration. Goes along with the rpms I assume.

I'm definitely replacing control arm bushings, or would you recommend the entire control arms?

Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                X