I thought LUCAS was British

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought LUCAS was British

Sitting at a light when I feel something hit the top of my foot. Look down and there is a screw from the panel under the steering column, which is now resting on the top of my foot. Next thing I notice is my CHECK light is flashing and my overhead panel is telling me I have a BRAKE LIGHT failure. Stop and inspect and both brake lights are ok. Returned home, looked under the steering column to see if anything was amiss and all looked fine. Secured the panel and started the car. CHECK light goes out but the BRAKE LIGHT on the overhead is still on, both brake lights are fine. Go to dinner and when I get back into the car, the CHECK light is flashing again and the BRAKE LIGHT is still on. Before I get home the chime sounds two separate times for no apparent reason. Brake lights are still fine, where do I start?

Something to do with the switch ?
    89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

If you mean the brake light switch, the lights are working as they should. They come on when the pedal is depressed and go off upon release.

Comment

A few thoughts, by chance do you have a third brake light? Is that good? Next, try some bulbs with stainless bases, I've had funny issues with bulbs from the local auto parts store. Clean all the contacts for the bulbs along with the contacts from the wiring harness to the tail light assembly.

As for the chime, how cold was it? It will chime at 37 degrees, or there about).
        2004 525i Manual - 1985 325E Coupe Manual

Comment

Tomstin, you sir hit the nail on the head, it was the Third Brake Light. And thanks for the info on the chime.

Comment

What was wrong with it exactly?

Comment

The third brake light was out. When checking the lights at the back of the car, myself and no one else happened to think about the light in the back window.

Comment

Working...
              X