325ix Touring rehab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update -- the project grows..
    - In a classic case of while I'm in here I decided that it'd annoy me to not fix the leak in the fuel tank. SO it's out and the new one is on order. most of the lines look good.
    - Some new head shields have been ordered
    - the center resonator seems to have expired and is causing a bit of rattle and drone.
    -- Are the headers like all other things on this and IX specific?

The entirety of the underside of this thing is going to be virtually brand new so that's exciting.
    sigpic15 year old me is super impressed with real me

Comment

Originally posted by CPTFelch View Post
      I see his strut housings look about the same as mine did. I appreciate the help with the part identification.
      I was able to remove the 'nuts' or at least what was left of them. Cut off the old section of rusted threads and weld on a new section from a rwd strut housing. I couldn't find better struts at that time..

Originally posted by CPTFelch View Post
      Update -- the project grows..
      - In a classic case of while I'm in here I decided that it'd annoy me to not fix the leak in the fuel tank. SO it's out and the new one is on order. most of the lines look good.
      - Some new head shields have been ordered
      - the center resonator seems to have expired and is causing a bit of rattle and drone.
      -- Are the headers like all other things on this and IX specific?

The entirety of the underside of this thing is going to be virtually brand new so that's exciting.
      Brand new BMW fuel tank is close to 1000€, you're better off with an aftermarket one. (close to 250€)

According to Realoem, the exhaust manifolds are the same for every E30 model (320i - 325i). Do you need to replace them?

We expect some pictures of that underside once finished :)
      1990 325iX Touring - November 2018 R3V Car Of The Month

1980 Volkswagen Golf mk1 1.1
      1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Oh yeah I went with the aftermarket one, Amazon for the win.

I’ve got a bunch of pictures and will be loading them up soon.

As far the exhaust is concerned the rear section is new, the mid section though is pretty grungy and has a bit of a rattle.

Comment

Oh yeah I went with the aftermarket one, Amazon for the win.

I’ve got a bunch of pictures and will be loading them up soon.

As far the exhaust is concerned the rear section is new, the mid section though is pretty grungy and has a bit of a rattle.

Comment

24 Feb update

Bunch of parts are off for powder coating
            - Front and Rear Sway Bars
            - Rear Subframe
            - Trailing Arms
            - New Fuel Tank
            - rear springs (orange/pink dots)

Plan today is get the diff taken apart today and prep it for dropping off for powder coating.
            Wire wheel away surface rust vicinity the spring perches, nothing structural, and coat with POR-15.

Still trying to figure out what to do with front struts and springs... The threads for the strut cap are pretty much gone thanks to rust and measures taken to free the rusted cap/collar. If one was to go with say the GC setup would that mitigate the threads on the strut and secure it into the new sleeve?

Lastly the front springs I received as IX factory springs are have green paint on them? Thought they were supposed to be orange/pink or yellow marked..?

Anyways back out to the garage

Comment

Awesome find and the body looks great! I went with a "light restoration" on mine. Took care of the front end pretty well, but the rear subframe really needs to come out at some point to take care off rust and bushings.
              1990 M3
              1991 325iX
              1991 M5
              1999 M3C
              2003 M5
              2012 X5 35d

Comment

Originally posted by Alpinerunner View Post
                Awesome find and the body looks great! I went with a "light restoration" on mine. Took care of the front end pretty well, but the rear subframe really needs to come out at some point to take care off rust and bushings.
                Yeah it’s gotten a bit out of hand but hey that’s what happen.

Comment

3 March
                  - Fuel tank is out
                  --- Some discovery learning on removing the seats and turns out because of the AWD setup the iX doesn't have guibo... just found that out. Definitely glad I dropped the tank now as this one was leaking as it was and well I don't want to have to remove all this stuff again.

- Exhaust stuff
                  --- Got the exhaust off to the header, need to replace this as well. Any recommendations?

Comment

All iX's have guibos at the front end of the rear driveshaft. What they don't have is a CSB (Center Support Bearing) because the rear driveshafts are short enough to be one piece, while the RWD driveshafts are two piece.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
                      All iX's have guibos at the front end of the rear driveshaft. What they don't have is a CSB (Center Support Bearing) because the rear driveshafts are short enough to be one piece, while the RWD driveshafts are two piece.
                      Yeah misspoke there couple too many garage beers mixed with fuel vapors. The center support bearing is what I meant. Used to seeing it under the 2002, m3 and m5.

Comment

Thats a great looking ix. The body and interior look really nice. I can very much relate with the “while I am in there” scenario...
                        Looking forward to seeing the finished result.

Max

Comment

Bit of an update, strut retaining ring has been finally separated after much heat and trimming as well as the driver side front axle. Sent the axles out to axle's unlimited in NC.

New tank is in (put it in and realized the connections for sender and pump were hanging out), new bushings in everything, new calipers rotors all on order.

New front control arms on order.

Comment

Working...
                          X