My custom 5-Lug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My custom 5-Lug

Details on the actual production and availability of these are coming, but I approached a local forum member about the possibility of building as close to a plug-n-play kit for the E30 5-lug conversion as possible. He came damn close.

These are E36 hubs and brakes installed onto an E30 stock spindle.

Here is the full flickr set:

Warning: have a tube sock handy.

Fully installed. A hex cap screw holds on the cover/key. Everything is SS:

Key removed showing the hub nut/spacer itself.

Spanner tool for installing/removing the nut/spacer:

Spanner tool installed in hub:

A little machining of the caliper bracket was required to clear the stock mounts, caliper adapter visible installed on the spindle:

Fully Assembled:

Spacer/Nut. Threaded to fit stock E30 stub axle:

In all it's glory:

Enlarged backing plate to compensate for the E36 hub/bearing. Presses onto the stock stub axle:

Face of the back plate. Raised area is the outside diameter of the inner race:

Caliper bracket to fit E36 calipers on E30 spindle:

Fitment with ABS sensor:

Just enough clearance:
    sigpic
    Turbo Cabrio project: http://eurowerks.org/showthread.php?t=19677

I want this.
    Originally posted by LJ851
    I programmed my oven to turn off when my pizza was done, should i start a build thread?

Feedback

Comment

Un-freeking-believable.

Awesome! Great idea on the whole damn thing.

Prices soon?

Closing SOON!
      "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
        Un-freeking-believable.

Awesome! Great idea on the whole damn thing.

Prices soon?
        It's not quite plug-n-play, that's the issue.

He had to machine a little off of the calipers, as well as tap the spindles for the adapter bracket bolts.

I'll be in touch with him soon on the possibility of threading the adapter itself versus the spindle, as they are hardened and most people will not have this ability. The calipers require the use of a mill. Again, something most people don't have access to. The 5-Lug itself is totally plug-n-play though, just not the brakes.
        sigpic

Comment

I didn't take shots of the back of the cover/key.

There is a tab that sits in the groove in the end of the stub axle preventing it from unthreading. The hex cap screw will hold the cover/key securely in place. Functional, and beautiful.
          sigpic

Comment

It seems like this would cost a lot more than the ~$300 I spent for my front setup, but if not that is awesome.

Is this for the front only? Or is he making something to fit m3 brakes on the rear?

Comment

This is the front only. Spindle adapters will likely run in the sub $200 range. From there you'd have to figure out your own brake situation. If you use E39 brakes, they have a larger rotor than the E36 and you would ber able to run brake adapters without having to modify the caliper brackets.

I decided against that so I would have more wheel clearance with the E36, and I didn't need 12.1" rotors.
              sigpic

Comment

Looks like very good work.

Comment

Cool idea, looking forward to more info.

Comment

Awesome solution. I was planning to build something similar, but didn't get around to messing with it.

Are you sure the caliper adapter can't be made with a tapped hole so people don't have to tap their spindles?

Comment

Subscribed. yea!
                      [IMG]http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/

Comment

subscribing!
                        I got a fender roller now! LMK if you need me to roll your fenders or want to rent the tool from me locally.

Paypal: vdang5@gmail.com

Delta Auto Care
                        2875-C Towerview Road
                        Herndon, VA

My Feedback Thread: Evil_Twin

Comment

subscribearoonie!!
                          NASA
                          BMWCCA member
                          PCA member 25yrs

1991 318IS slick top
                          1997 M3 sedan
                          2001 325CI DD

“whoever turns the wheel the least, wins"

Comment

very interesting. I CAD'd something very similar a while ago, but didn't go into as much detail as you have.

What's kind of offsets are you looking at? Looks very promising. I think if you solve the special tool need and cutting into caliper brackets, you'd have a really awesome design.

Comment

Originally posted by EMC View Post
                              Awesome solution. I was planning to build something similar, but didn't get around to messing with it.

Are you sure the caliper adapter can't be made with a tapped hole so people don't have to tap their spindles?
                              This should be possible. The only trouble if that there are clearance issues. If you used E39 brakes I'm sure you would be able to avoid it. Here are come closeups to help you understand:

Originally posted by Aptyp View Post
                              What's kind of offsets are you looking at? Looks very promising. I think if you solve the special tool need and cutting into caliper brackets, you'd have a really awesome design.
                              These were set up for an 8.5" wide ET13 wheel. The hubs protrude 5mm over the face of the E30 stock hub. The backing plate is necessary to make up for the larger diameter of the E36 hub. I'm sure it adds some strength to the stub axle as well, even with the stock one being strong as hell.

As far as the spanner tool, he's looking at coming up with something else, but it seems to be the best option, and will be included with the kit. It makes it possible for the cover/key design to work well with the adapter.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X