Euro bumper install questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Euro bumper install questions

I looked through the threads, but couldn't find info on what most people are doing to get around certain issues. I'd like to hear from some people who have been through this.

General:
    My front bumper has some wavy-ness to it. Do I run the risk of cracking the chrome if I try and straighten this? Ideally, i'd like to put some painters tape on the chrome, and use some wood blocks and clamps to straighten things out. Is this too risky?

Rear:
    -What did you do to cover up the diving board shock mount holes? It looks like between these and the side brackets, i'll have to spray my rear valance. Is it cheaper/easier to just get something plastic to go back there?

-Is it necessary to modify or cover over the vent flaps on the sides? I've heard that water will get into the trunk without the DBs covering them. The US part number (64221922739) appears to be different, and the Euro vent (64221922738) appears to be NLA.

-Anyone have a source for aftermarket euro bumper trim here in the states? My rear trim was hacked up with side markers when they federalized the car. For the $135 OE piece, i'll just repair and paint it. But if there's anything new for cheaper, that's a better option.

Front:
    -I have a Euro valance with the stock lip. If I paint this, what lip options do I have to run with it?

-Are there any parts I can order to make a reversible plug and play harness for the front lights? I'd like to do this without hacking my wiring or US connectors, if possible. I like to make things reversible.

Pics for attention...

As it sits now...

-Nick
    sigpic
    1986 325es || 1998 M3 sedan || 2003 330ci

~Looking for a left side early tail light, or a set of early tails~

You should be able to get way with straightening your bumper as long as it isn't to bent up. Iirc I did have to straighten mine in some places and no damage was done.

Shock mount holes people leave there or weld patches in when body work is done. Or you can find a apron to cover the whole rear.

The vent flats I left alone on my car and never had any problem of water in the trunk.

The trim I'd try a wanted to by ad. Maybe someone has some laying around. Otherwise oem will be the way to go.

Front valance, what one do you have? There are two different ones.

1992 BMW 325iC
    1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
    1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

Originally posted by JasonC View Post
      You should be able to get way with straightening your bumper as long as it isn't to bent up. Iirc I did have to straighten mine in some places and no damage was done.

Shock mount holes people leave there or weld patches in when body work is done. Or you can find a apron to cover the whole rear.

The vent flats I left alone on my car and never had any problem of water in the trunk.

The trim I'd try a wanted to by ad. Maybe someone has some laying around. Otherwise oem will be the way to go.

Front valance, what one do you have? There are two different ones.
      Thanks for the reply. I'll try gently straightening it and hope for the best.

The valance I have is the later (early) model one piece Euro valance. I'm not sure if I should paint this and run it with a cool looking lip, or just stick with my stock US valance and run something plastic over that (most likely MT1 rep or the like, i'm on a relative budget). I'm not schooled on what lips bolt to it, and I haven't found many pics. I got this lip with the bumpers (I scored the whole lot for $180, by the way. Pretty pumped about that):

Good call on the WTB ad. I don't want the lights, so I figure I can try a fiberglass repair kit + sanding and paint on mine, or look for another one.
      -Nick
      sigpic

Comment

I left the flaps and I get water in my trunk whenever it rains. You can straighten the bumpers without risking damage, they are pretty soft.

Comment

I'm sorry but what do you guys mean by flaps? I'm planning on doing the swap next weekend and definitely don't want water in my trunk so what's the best way to go about it?

And OP if you're picky like me just take the banged up part to a chrome shop where they'll use a hydraulic press to get it nice and straight. I did it for my front piece and it came out just above 200 with fresh chrome.

Comment

Also how do you mount up the fog lights?

Comment

Originally posted by AlonzoS View Post
              I'm sorry but what do you guys mean by flaps? I'm planning on doing the swap next weekend and definitely don't want water in my trunk so what's the best way to go about it?
              There are vents beneath the rear bumper sides. They go into the lower part of the trunk.

The diving boards are bigger, and the plastic trim shields the vents pretty well. The Euro bumpers are smaller, and water can get in through the vents. The Euro cars had a different part number for these vents, so presumably they're a different design. They're NLA.

I haven't dealt with this yet, i'm ordering my parts this week. But i'll figure out a work-around, and post it up. I'm thinking that i'll fabricate a small cover to go over the vents, beneath the bumper.
              And OP if you're picky like me just take the banged up part to a chrome shop where they'll use a hydraulic press to get it nice and straight. I did it for my front piece and it came out just above 200 with fresh chrome.
              Thanks for the heads up. $200 is more than I paid for the entire bumper set with the trim pieces and Euro valance, so I'll try my hand at straightening the wavy area myself before taking it to a shop. But if it needs pro help, so be it.
              Also how do you mount up the fog lights?
              That depends on which valance you're running. With the Euro valance, they're the same as M3 fogs, and the housings screw right into the valance.
              -Nick
              sigpic

Comment

Does anyone have part numbers for the Euro front turn signal connectors/plugs?
                -Nick
                sigpic

Comment

if you are referring to the body side wiring, you can just trim the light connector clip housing to allow 2 prongs to connect. Don't need to source Euro plugs for the euro light indicators.
                  2014 Alpine White 335i MSport
                  (Daily Driver)
                  Full Mperformance Aero

2007 Black Sapphire Metallic E92 335i (6MT)
                  KW V2 Coilovers
                  VRSF Catless Downpipes

Comment

Originally posted by codyep3 View Post
                    if you are referring to the body side wiring, you can just trim the light connector clip housing to allow 2 prongs to connect. Don't need to source Euro plugs for the euro light indicators.
                    Thanks for the info. I'm aware of trimming the connectors, but I like things to be reversible.

Actually, I looked through the bag of hardware and stuff that I got with the bumpers. He cut the connectors out with the lights, so I have them. I'll just strip the wire back, solder/seal these in, and leave the US connectors intact and cap them.
                    -Nick
                    sigpic

Comment

Did anyone come up with a clever solution to seal the vents?

Comment

Working...
                      X