Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surging Idle after Rebuild

Here’s the details: 1990 (10/89) 325i Convertible
    Just finished refreshing the motor: rebuilt head w/ 272 cam & HD rockers etc, all new belts, wires, cap&rotor - the works in other words. Get it all back together and it idles like total crap. Surges from 500-650 constantly. Once you get the RPMs up its better.

Get it smoke tested and find a bunch of leaks - bitch tube etc. Fixed those and it idles better but not great. It idles like a 1/4 mile drag car - lopey. Mechanic thinks it’s fuel (car has 208k on it). So I swap out the original injectors for some new Bosch units and swap the TPS. Still no love.

So I start testing the ICV (three wire). Voltage and resistance check out and I double checked the TPS as well - both good. Bentley says the ICV should be partially open with a warm engine and the key on. Mine snaps closed as soon as the key is turned to the on position.
    Is this the issue?

Thx, Pat

Are lifters are adjusted properly??

Comment

Surging is a sure sign of vacuum leaks post-AFM on these cars.
      john@m20guru.com
      Links:
      Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Smoke tested and fixed the leaks. After running for a few days the surging is gone but it’s a really lumpy 700ish rpm idle. I didn’t think a 272 cam would make it that bad. It’s stock (for the moment) other than the cam. Is this something that would be cured by a ssquid chip? Or should it idle better even with the 272?

Comment

Chip to bump up idle speed
          89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Working...
          X