Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Early Model Coupe Manual Window Conversion ?s

1. I know that the regulators don't save weight
    2. The harness connection is completely fucked on my 3/87 325is, so I don't want to focus on fixing that
    3. I want to go completely harness-less in my 325is because it's track prepped (still streetable).
    4. Am I really reading this correctly, there's no regulator but this weird cable looking thing?

Paynemw
    1986 Toyota 4Runner SR5 - Sold!
    the ebb and flow of 325is ownership - In RVA
    1988 BMW 535is - RIP but my dream BMW

It's some sort of crazy cable contraption, but it seems to work.

Comment

You're correct, there is no traditional regulator. The cable-style mechanism is actually very easy to deal with.

I did this years ago in my 24v early model, it's a direct swap minus I believe needing two extra M6 bolts per side. Only recommendation is to shoot some sort of lube into the manual regulator (assuming you got them used) before installing.
      IMG_0145 by Jonathan Martin, on Flickr

Comment

General Discussion is not a catch-all; please do not ask technical questions there. If you don't know where to ask your question, post it in General Technical and we'll move it to the appropriate subforum if necessary. Thanks in advance.
        Originally posted by kronus
        would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Closing this out, the early coupe window regulators are direct bolt in for early model electronic window regulators. The window glass is the same between early model electronic and manual glass are the same. HOWEVER, later model window regulators and window glass are NOT interchangeable with early model regulator parts. I have read that late model window regulators might be able to go into early model doors, but I do not have information about that. I ended up putting manual window regulators in my early 325iS and I love it! I removed the door harnesses all the way back to the junction.
          Paynemw
          1986 Toyota 4Runner SR5 - Sold!
          the ebb and flow of 325is ownership - In RVA
          1988 BMW 535is - RIP but my dream BMW

Comment

Working...
          X