LEDs..will they throw an error code?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LEDs..will they throw an error code?

I'm looking to possibly install some LEDs in the license plate and reverse lights. Does anyone know if this will throw any error codes?

yes, the check control relays need to see some resistance. For the plate lights, I ignored the check light but then discovered that one of the LED's was in fact completely out and the other was blinking. That's why I removed mine and went back to new filament bulbs. The look wasn't worth it to me. You can run them in the reverse lights as they are not checked.
    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

i run leds, but can only in a few areas. To me it is a safety thing since incandescent rear bulbs are not that bright. I was able to run them in turn, reverse, and 3rd taillight with a resistor. All corner markers are led. The front turns are switchback leds. Headlights are leds, but required resistors to work correctly and not piss off the check computer. They are in proper projector housings. Fogs are leds for now, but may switch those out for something else. Interior bulbs are all led except for low fuel and temp bulbs. I had to put incandescents back in the license plate bulbs. Would not work with leds even with canbus resistor types.

Comment

LED’s are so much brighter than incandescent bulbs, I love how bright they are in my E30. But the check control error is annoying. I wish someone would make up an E30-specific set of LED’s with resistors.

Comment

I just unplugged the check control computer thing....no error on the dash:)

Comment

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
            Thats my plan...

You can also get a solid state relay for the turn signals so they don't hyperflash.

Comment

LED's work on exterior lights except for license plate lights which sometimes turn on the check light. I'll probably remove mine.
              Member BMW Classic Car Club
              Member Ferrari Drivers Group Sarasota
              Member Porsche Club of America

Comment

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
                Originally posted by PDXPeter View Post
                Thats my plan...

You can also get a solid state relay for the turn signals so they don't hyperflash.
                How do you unplug it?

Comment

Originally posted by spyder918 View Post
                  How do you unplug it?
                  Pull the check panel down and unplug the connector.

They are talking about this:

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewBird View Post
                    Pull the check panel down and unplug the connector.

Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                    X