No announcement yet.

2.8L M20 9.8:1 stroker build: my 323i reincarnated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my votes for an acura v6 (j35 I think?) in there. Its been done by a few local guys...
    1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Originally posted by wworm View Post
      my votes for an acura v6 (j35 I think?) in there. Its been done by a few local guys...
      Ehh.. I don't like V6's that much, although the Acura one is one of the best.

Hmm.. I just had a thought. 4AGE blacktop... wonder if I could make that work ;D

Ideally I'd like something characterful, high revving, reliable, light, and under 200ft*lbs of torque so I can use first gear. Also can be mated to the stock transaxle.
      '86 Burgundrot 325 2.8 stroker.

Build thread

Other cars:
      2000 Porsche Boxster
      2006 Subaru Outback XT 5MT
      1972 Porsche 914

Comment

Ive had so many ideas of what I would want to swap in one... I think the best move is a VW motor and make it fast just to really stick it to the Porsche snobs that it is NOT a Porsche...

NARP is a real thing lol
        Simon
        Current Cars:
        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by betz View Post
          Ehh.. I don't like V6's that much, although the Acura one is one of the best.

Hmm.. I just had a thought. 4AGE blacktop... wonder if I could make that work ;D

Ideally I'd like something characterful, high revving, reliable, light, and under 200ft*lbs of torque so I can use first gear. Also can be mated to the stock transaxle.
          4A-GE Blacktop would be awesome! Have always loved the sounds and characteristics of those.

Relevant vid:

(OO=[][]=OO)

Instagram: @e30_tac

https://www.instagram.com/e30_tac/

Comment

Did you ever get the MAF working?
            1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
            1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
              Did you ever get the MAF working?
              Not exactly. I think I did update a while back where I got it to power on through a voltage supply, so my next idea was that the pin that was loose (happened to be the voltage pin) was probably getting pushed in so that it did not contact. I was going to fix that in place somehow, then play dumb and follow the instructions to see if it works out.

I also bought a new enclosure for it since the 3D printed one disintegrated on me.

I haven't really tried anything on it since last update honestly. My starter is going out for some reason now, so I pulled it out yesterday and will be putting a new Bosch reman in it later today.

I figured after that I might try fiddling with the MAF a bit more.

How about you? You had a MCK too right?

Build thread

Other cars:
              2000 Porsche Boxster
              1972 Porsche 914

Comment

I haven't really tried anything on it since last update honestly. My starter is going out for some reason now, so I pulled it out yesterday and will be putting a new Bosch reman in it later today.

I figured after that I might try fiddling with the MAF a bit more.

How about you? You had a MCK too right?
                I got an MCK as well- I haven't made any progress, though. Hopefully once things settle down a bit I'll get it installed.
                1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
                1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

My E30 looking especially cute playing in the fall leaves. Its been one year since I started the motor and it's still running strong!

Build thread

Other cars:
                  2000 Porsche Boxster
                  1972 Porsche 914

Comment

Car looks good!... is it "done" basically?
                    Simon
                    Current Cars:

Comment

Thanks! For the most part, yeah. I plan on finishing the MAF conversion, doing an oil cooler, mtech1 spoiler, and euro valence + fogs.
                      I'm taking it at my own pace because the car is awesome as is, pretty much everything I could've hoped for and even then some. It's not perfect, but its close, and will only get closer as time goes on.

Build thread

Other cars:
                      2000 Porsche Boxster
                      1972 Porsche 914

Comment

So I wanted to share something quite interesting...

I was having a few issues with my car, first being that I had these bad hesitations that seemed to happen more and more often. I checked almost every piece of my ignition system and kept thinking I fixed it only for it to come back again. Meanwhile, I had gotten a gauge for my WB O2 sensor and have been monitoring it to see how good my tune is under various conditions. I noticed that WOT was super super rich at 9.1 AFR which was also causing a more subtle hesitation when at WOT. The other hesitation seemed ignition related as it was a more sudden lurch than when running rich. Also at part throttle my AFR oscillated around 14.7 even though I would still get hesitations.

On a whim I tried plugging in a totally stock ECU.

Not only did it fix my hesitations (so far, at least, 3 days strong) but my AFR at WOT now hovers around 11.8-12, which is nearly spot on, maybe a few tenths too rich.

So, I guess somehow.. S52 injections= richer, M30 AFM = leaner, displacement/cam/comp = leaner... So somehow the stock tune works well? I have no idea to be honest. But my car has just been an absolute joy with the stock tune, it's running more solid than ever! Hopefully it stays that way :). My old ECU must have been wonky at least, but I'm more surprised how seemingly perfect the stock chip is.

Build thread

Other cars:
                        2000 Porsche Boxster
                        1972 Porsche 914

Comment

Any plan for a exhaust video? I'd love to hear what this combo sounds like.
                          91' 318is 90' 325is

Originally posted by Sonny
                          Buy the E30s, they ain't gonna last long
                          E30 can make you, E30 can break you
                          "He who controls the Nova's, controls the Boomers"

Comment

On a whim I tried plugging in a totally stock ECU.
                            .... My old ECU must have been wonky at least, but I'm more surprised how seemingly perfect the stock chip is.
                            What chip was in the old system?
                            Simon
                            Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                              What chip was in the old system?
                              Sssquid custom tune. Like, the third or fourth revision of it lol

Build thread

Other cars:
                              2000 Porsche Boxster
                              1972 Porsche 914

Comment

Originally posted by Motheye99 View Post
                                Any plan for a exhaust video? I'd love to hear what this combo sounds like.
                                I will try and accommodate. My car is relatively quiet. Sounds a bit hot rod at idle, but you wouldn't notice anything is different unless you're an E30 guy ;)

I love the sounds at WOT, definitely makes it feel like an event, that's when you really can tell something has been done to it hehe

Build thread

Other cars:
                                2000 Porsche Boxster
                                1972 Porsche 914

Comment

Working...
                                X