Replacement headunit options that suit the E30 interior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by earthwormjim View Post
    Realities of low volume production. Tooling alone is tens of thousands of dollars for something like the face plate.

Just look at how expensive the bluetooth board jay built is. It's the price of a radio, but I bet he's not making much of a profit. Unless you're building 10,000+ of something, manufacturing and parts acquisition are extremely expensive. I'm not knocking his product by the way, it's a great product for a niche market. That was the direction I really wanted to go, but I got tired of chasing down clean OEM radios that didn't need a ton of work to refurbish.
    I was completely kidding, although for larger brands and the way everything is on boards these days the internals of these would not be hard, it would be making the faces.
    Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

Originally posted by Staszek View Post
      it would be making the faces.
      China? Making plastic parts? I think they do that in their sleep. :)
      Originally posted by Matt-B
      hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

More photos of the Bremen.
        It should be available in September.

But digital audio is not available in the USA.

Comment

Flame suit on...but the GF loves it and I do as well.

Joying 10.25" Android stereo powering RF speakers throughout, eventually it'll get a small sub enclosure w/ a matching RF monoblock amp. This killed multiple birds w/ one stone...beforehand it had an outdated CD player w/ no bluetooth, OBC screen has a leaking LCD but it's not like we used it anyways. This has better fitment that the one I'm running in my E36 in that hers doesn't block the heater vents at all and the width matches perfectly with the dash.
          Attached Files

Comment

Replacement headunit options that suit the E30 interior

Originally posted by m5james View Post
            Flame suit on...but the GF loves it and I do as well.

Joying 10.25" Android stereo powering RF speakers throughout, eventually it'll get a small sub enclosure w/ a matching RF monoblock amp. This killed multiple birds w/ one stone...beforehand it had an outdated CD player w/ no bluetooth, OBC screen has a leaking LCD but it's not like we used it anyways. This has better fitment that the one I'm running in my E36 in that hers doesn't block the heater vents at all and the width matches perfectly with the dash.

Looks sweet. How laggy is it? I’ve always had a bad experience with android tablets, they seem to lag and freeze up quite a bit especially in summer when the sun is heating the car/dash

Comment

Originally posted by pandaboo911 View Post
              Looks sweet. How laggy is it? I’ve always had a bad experience with android tablets, they seem to lag and freeze up quite a bit especially in summer when the sun is heating the car/dash
              I was looking at them as well. No one posts a "boot up" time.

Comment

Originally posted by Vincenze View Post
                More photos of the Bremen.
                It should be available in September.

But digital audio is not available in the USA.

The one thing I really like about this one is it has Pre Amp outputs. The Continentals do not.
                Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

Found this headunit on eBay and looks great. Modern touch with a period correct look and it's only 45 bucks!

Comment

How long does it take to boot up?

also - only $31 if you don't mind waiting a few weeks to get it: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32983971226.html

Comment

Originally posted by Ol' Thirty Bastard View Post
                      Found this headunit on eBay and looks great. Modern touch with a period correct look and it's only 45 bucks!

Nice radio, but this absolutely does not look period correct, in any way, shape or form.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
                      '91 318i (Alpine) - daily
                      '88 325ix (Zinno) - drive here and there!

Comment

if only that supported apple carplay

Comment

Well, the buttons *kinda* do. Oh, and also....your hazard switch is upside down :)

Comment

The PO had a Sony headunit and it crapped out on me. So was just looking for something that will work. The buttons do have a "vintage look" about them and it matches the interior. The screen is just the modern touch. So many radios out now look like they are trying to come out of a spaceship. I just wanted a radio that has good functionality that was affordable. the small screen works well with what I need. I'm not an audiophile by any means.

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post
                              Well, the buttons *kinda* do. Oh, and also....your hazard switch is upside down :)
                              It's also in the defrost button's spot.

Comment

Yep! You're right!

Comment

Working...
                                X